Sign in to follow this  
LoneSquirrel

What do you do to soothe yourself when you are anxious?

Sometimes a walk but, it's really hot right now and so it's not good walking weather. A lot of times when I am anxious I have a very hard time focusing on anything. Dr.Who episodes on Amazon help sometimes. It really helps me when I am very depressed. Hugging my pets. 

On 7/6/2016 at 10:14 PM, SunnyOutlook said:

I play Chopin on the piano, and it always calms me down. I can literally feel my heart beat slower and my breathing slow down. 

I have a collection of Chopin's Nocturnes that I listen to when I'm anxious or can't sleep, and it's one of my most soothing practices. Hands down, my favorite composer. :) 

My favorite things to do when anxious:

-Run: focusing on being in control of my body while stretching my muscles and being alone and free, almost nothing better!

-Write: poems, fiction, thoughts, random lists, anything. 

-Bake desserts.

-Listen to music or watch one of my "comfort movies."

-Yoga: there are very good yoga videos on YouTube that are gentle and designed to help with depression and anxiety.

These are all fantastic suggestions; you are all awesome!

My OCD and anxiety go haywire very often, so I often repeat the thoughts in my head until they're over and done with. Along with that, I also tend to just think about other stuff. Other than that, I also like to clean, which somewhat soothes my anxiety.

Edited by Corbin

I find that coloring helps me a lot. Ever since I was a kid coloring was always my go to thing. I am so glad that it has caught on after all these years and there are now so many great books out there to color in. I also like to go for a walk and listen to music but I find I can be triggered by certain songs. I think crochet is good for helping me. Something silly on the TV can help as well. Anything to keep me from thinking too much.