What do you do to soothe yourself when you are anxious?

I'm trying to think of healthy ways to get through my most anxious moments, so I'm compiling a list.

So far I have:

-meditate

-go for a walk

-find a quiet place outside to sit in silence

-take a bubble bath

-journal

-stretch my tense muscles

What do you do to soothe yourself when you are anxious?

When it has gotten really bad on few occasions.. I couldn't but go out, find somewhere peaceful to be just by myself and calm down. Then it was just uncontrollable though, I didn't think clearly what I was doing, just had to get away, get out, go somewhere. Once took Xanax but I don't want that again -_-. But if it is not over the top...exercise usually helps. Or talking with someone who will listen and not start blaming me or tell me to just get over it/stop it/whatever.

Hi LoneSquirrel :)

I take phenibut when I feel anxious and depressed. I remember one night I feeling anxiety and panic and nothing was helping. I took some phenibut and it calmed me down and I felt much better. I have never had any side effects with it and I haven't heard of anyone having issues with it. In my opinion its a much safer alternative to meds. It's now apart of my regimen and I feel comfort knowing I have a safety net in case I really need something to help me out. It's not very expensive either.

I can tell you what company I get it from if you want to try it :)

Edited by durandalblue

play video games..... lay down and try to imagination an alternate fantasy reality until sleep hits and hope the dreams continue it. drink a ton of ice-water until i'm bloated and focusing on the feeling of all that water in my veins instead... pace back and forth.... turn off the lights, put headphones on, blow a loud fan on my face and pretend i'm safe with nothing to worry about

Edited by jasonte

4 hours ago, durandalblue said:

Hi LoneSquirrel :)

I take phenibut when I feel anxious and depressed. I remember one night I feeling anxiety and panic and nothing was helping. I took some phenibut and it calmed me down and I felt much better. I have never had any side effects with it and I haven't heard of anyone having issues with it. In my opinion its a much safer alternative to meds. It's now apart of my regimen and I feel comfort knowing I have a safety net in case I really need something to help me out. It's not very expensive either.

I can tell you what company I get it from if you want to try it :)

Yes, that would be great, durandalblue!!

My thinking gets very circular & repetitive when I am anxious. (that is one of my 'tells' that I am anxious)  I also find that my environment adds to my anxiety during these times. So I prefer to use music (the more metal the better!!) and walking. Walking lets me use the nervous energy anxiety creates, and metal music helps me stop the repetitive circular thinking I get into.  The screamo parts & death growls also help me release frustration. 

God Bless Chester Bennington... I know Linkin Park isn't metal, but that boy can scream. 

Oh, and I find that writing in my journal is somewhat helpful too...it helps me to release the emotions I often hold inside.   I can talk about my hopes and dreams and all of that jazz.

Plus, it gives me a chance to vent privately without being judged and without fear of sharing too much because I'm the only one who sees it anyway.   I need to start walking/exercising again but I don't know when I will be able to. 

I was feeling tense and anxious last night, and I remembered that I have this acupressure mat and neck pillow.  They look like torture devices, but when I lie on the mat and pillow, it helps my muscles relax and makes me feel more at ease (temporarily, anyway).

I actually just l learned a new grounding technique where you shut your brain off by looking at your surroundings and describing each thing you see, in detail, until you've calmed down. I mean like: Window, silver pane, long, white curtains, 2-inch sill, etc. That detailed. Once I've grounded myself I do some guided meditation which puts me in a  nice zone. There are videos on youtube under something like, "Vocal guided meditation" and the first  one I tried was so effective that I dozed off.

Good luck. I'm working through some serious anxiety and am always looking for new ways to calm. I'm here if you need an ear.

I breathe in smoothly and steadily for 10 seconds. I hold it for one second. Then I exhale smoothly and steadily for 10 seconds. I repeat this until I feel better. This has defused full blown anxiety attacks for me. It hasn't completely stopped them but it's taken the edge off enough for me to get through them.

Peace

1 hour ago, Ryuuka said:

I actually just l learned a new grounding technique where you shut your brain off by looking at your surroundings and describing each thing you see, in detail, until you've calmed down. I mean like: Window, silver pane, long, white curtains, 2-inch sill, etc. That detailed. Once I've grounded myself I do some guided meditation which puts me in a  nice zone. There are videos on youtube under something like, "Vocal guided meditation" and the first  one I tried was so effective that I dozed off.

Good luck. I'm working through some serious anxiety and am always looking for new ways to calm. I'm here if you need an ear.

Thank you, Ryuuka.  I haven't heard of that grounding technique.  I'll have to check it out. 

I was feeling really antsy earlier, and now I'm worn out.  I must've worn myself out with all of that restlessness.  :ermm:

14 hours ago, Manytries said:

Roobois tea and read online. 

Oh, tea definetly helps! I think there must be some magical element to hot tea. 

And I find reading helps too, especially if it's a favorite book with a feel-good aspect to the story.

• 2 weeks later...

Watching re-runs of The Golden Girls is helping.  Unfortunately, I don't have cable.  I'm at my mother's house right now, and that's how I'm watching it.  Not sure what to do at home that will help with the degree of anxiety I've been feeling.

Sometimes a walk but, it's really hot right now and so it's not good walking weather. A lot of times when I am anxious I have a very hard time focusing on anything. Dr.Who episodes on Amazon help sometimes. It really helps me when I am very depressed. Hugging my pets.