What does love feel like?

Turnt

i think it depends on the person and how you feel love, its hard to define as one thing as it varies even in one person, for me love is a kind of faith, when it comes to my friends and family i love them in that i trust that they will be there for me and that i will be there for them, i might put their needs before my own and i will say without fail that i will do anything to protect them and keep them happy. i love trees in the way that they make me happy, they cannot hurt me and i have faith that trees will always be a thing that exists. i love colors in a similar way, colors give everything nuance and difference and beauty

Love can be

as soothing as

a drink from a pure cold spring

and love for me

has always been

like scalding bitter tea.

One more sip,

I always say

and burn my wanting tongue.

I never learn,

this love to spurn.

Can't help it...

He's just so h*ng

ColdFire-2016

On a more serious note, I have loved but have not been loved because I seem to love those that can't or wont love me. The thing is, and it is so cliché, that I don't love me so why and how should I expect anyone else to? Even when someone shows interest I shut down and push them away. I am working on that. I dreamed of the person (non sexual dream btw) last night and it freaked me out because it was so real. I actually felt good when I woke up as if I had a purpose. Needless to say reality kicked me square in the jaw so hard I can now lick the back of my own neck. It can never be. I let my fear of my peers scorn and my fear of my sexuality carry away something that could have made that dream a reality. If it felt that good to dream then I can not imagine how good it must feel to live it. Love is elusive unless you are a hunter and I am more of a farmer I guess.

The phrase "I love you" has been thrown around every medium (magazines, TV, movies, ads, etc.) like a Frisbee, and yet it is easy to not follow or practice its connotations through direct action and intent. Most people would say this seductive phrase boldly with a straight face towards others and fail to demonstrate their love to even themselves. I know that feeling all too well because I cannot seem to grasp the notion of love due to my self-sabotaging nature. How can one say he/she say "I love you" to someone else when that individual doesn't even love him/herself? It hurts just asking that question, knowing the answer won't fall onto your lap overnight.

The feeling of love is different for everyone. And falling for the first time is mind blowing, believe me, you WILL know it's love, and they will all be feelings you never felt before. But one thing about love is, you feel the connection really strongly.

At it's very core it's more like a strong urge to make the other person happy no matter what. There is no length you feel you would not go to ensure the person you're feeling this for is doing well. All you care about is how they are doing, what you can do to make their day go better. Their flaws become little specs that you care nothing for ( hint: things work when you're fully accepted. Love revolves around this mostly, as if you're not accepted, your love can start hurting you before it diminishes ) or at least you're not bothered by them. Then there is the powerful urge to tell them those three words. Either directly or some other way.

What does love feel like?  I know when I think of the woman I love and I'm around her I actually feel a love buzz.  I honestly feel buzzed around her.  When you love someone you can have the worst day of your life and the first second you see that person and talk to them the bad day goes away completely.  You forget everything bad that day and any day and you feel great.  When you love that person you know you would do anything to see them smile or laugh or make them happy in any way.  Nothing feels better than knowing that they are happy. 

I hope you get better too.  As a person that has struggled with addiction most of his life I know all too well what emotional emptiness feels like.  I don't want it for anyone.  I want everyone here to be happy and have the great life that they want.

It's a cliche, but it's the greatest thing there is. It conquers all. 

I only had one girlfriend, from when I was 18-20. It was two wonderful years. I know this is love from a relationship, which is what I think of when I think of love. 

There is nothing more comforting than unconditional love. To have someone there with you, through everything. I used to love waking up with someone by my side. I used to love making memories and loving her. 

It's a thing of the past now though. 

It's another cliche, but sometimes you have to love yourself.

I have felt love when mediating towards random people animals nature, trees the air the universe epace and towards one manager I use to work with girls I liked that I was happy for even though I was still alone because they had boyfriends all read my pets to and my therapist strangely enough I don,t think I ever felt like I loved any of my immediate family that much. Yet i feel love when I look out into the sky and universe knowing that I am part of its consciousness. 

Edited by scienceguy

I love my Wife! With her I don't worry about anything. I trust her, I forgive her, I know she always has the best intentions for me. Automatically I think of how something will effect us, rather than just me. One of our favorite things to do is just be together, cuddling, basically just doing nothing. Doing nothing together, is a happy thing! 

Doing nothing with "just a friend" is boring and awkward. I don't often have 110% trust in friends comparable to what I do with her. I can get mad/defensive at "just a friend", with her I get mad at myself for having upset her. 

When I see she is happy, it makes me happy! When I see she is down, I want nothing more then for her to feel better(which sometimes requires my patience/silence, which can be hard...)

I could keep going on and on, this is just what comes to my mind at the moment.

Some fantastic answers here.  I remember there was a time that I didn't care about anything as long as I had him around (not literally of course...that would be unhealthy). Knowing he'd come home to me or I'd go home to him. Scrounging our 30.00 per week up in order to eat. Struggling financially but it didn't matter because we had each other. 

I still got things done..still practiced music since that was my university major. But all of the mundane stuff in life was just beautiful. And everything else was beautiful.

I'm suddenly feeling a bit sad. @George1 that is beautiful and probably where I should be now that I'm 20 years in. But alas it seems to be one-sided. The honeymoon always ends I guess. But dies it have to?

Funny I say that because just today I got texts from my husband as he needed support from me. That like never happens. And earlier today he helped me with some exercise things. 

I'm not used to getting this much attention from him whichever side was needing the other.

Where the heck am I going with this?????? I don't know. 

@Turnt I don't know if my reply is helpful in any way. I guess if I'm offering anything to you with my racing-thoughts-turned-text is that it will depend on a number of things, one being how far you are into a relationship.

I'm going to stop now as I'm just making a butt of myself and babbling away the way I do when I'm like "this."

30 minutes ago, Natasha1 said:

Funny I say that because just today I got texts from my husband as he needed support from me. That like never happens. And earlier today he helped me with some exercise things. 

I'm not used to getting this much attention from him whichever side was needing the other.

Where the heck am I going with this?????? I don't know. 

That's nice! Totally up to you, but my thoughts are that: you should tell/express to him that you really liked his help, and being able to support him, and just the attention/interaction in general. I'm sure he feels the same way even if it doesn't always come out that way.

I wish you the best going forward!

On 7/2/2016 at 2:17 AM, Turnt said:

I guess both. I don't even really feel anything when I pet my dog anymore, and I raised her from a puppy.

I know you're going through a challenging time, Turnt. A lot of people here, myself included, have experienced similar feelings that we find very bothersome, and while that feeling is awful the fact that it bothers you means you're still fighting and still feel love, even if it doesn't feel the way it normally does, or the way you would like it to presently. I recently went through a second major depressive episode along with anxiety after 14 years of clearheadedness and mostly happy living. I've still got a ways to go but I'm a bit better than I was and am hopefully trending the right way. Sometimes there are setbacks that challenge the belief that progress is being made. That's the depression trying to play its trick. I suspect you're dealing with similar feelings and intrusive thoughts. Just keep fighting. Better days will be ahead - and as hard as things are now the clearheadedness and feelings of normalcy will be worth it.

Wishing you well.

Edited by Brick Tamland

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 8:57 PM, scienceguy said:

I have felt love when mediating towards random people animals nature, trees the air the universe epace and towards one manager I use to work with girls I liked that I was happy for even though I was still alone because they had boyfriends all read my pets to and my therapist strangely enough I don,t think I ever felt like I loved any of my immediate family that much. Yet i feel love when I look out into the sky and universe knowing that I am part of its consciousness. 

I can understand that completely.  I feel the same way for the most part.  I also look at the sky waiting for some spacecraft to pick me up and take me out of here.  I've served my sentence on this planet and I'm sick of it.

Just honestly wanting the best for someone, and thinking the whole person is pretty swell. The bad side isn't something ugly, it's just what happens when they don't do the best with what they've got. A lot of non-judgment and good vibes.

Love can be a amazing feeling and when you're around a certain person you feel all warm, glowing and there is a "flame" in your heart so to speak. I only have really experienced it once when I was with Natalie. However when it goes bad holy crap. I believe it when most claim it to feel like a drug addiction except that person becomes your addiction. When you loose that person for whatever reason your heart literally breaks. And sometimes being heartbroken can last for years.

A crush can give you that same good feeling but only just a small taste for awhile.

In the beginning love is awesome. You feel great. Nothing is better.

Then it gets real. You fight and hurt each other's feelings.

Then it turns into a struggle to keep the disappointment from overcoming you.

It's hard and, in the end, the only person you can count on is yourself. 

If you think love is the answer to your problems, you'll be disappointed.

Peace