Sign in to follow this  
SugaredSloth

Childhood toys

I've been feeling pretty nostalgic lately and have been thinking about my favorite things as a kid. So I was wondering... 

Is there one particularly memorable toy from your childhood? 

Did you ever get to own it? 

What made it so special to you?

I had (and still have) a plush rabbit called Mr Bunny, I've had him since birth (I'm now 18). He looks a little worse for wear since I used to poke holes in him so he has a patch on his butt which also has a hole in, lol, its the only thing I have left of my childhood really.

For me, it was a Barney the dinosaur stuffed animal. I took it everywhere with me, refused to sleep without it, ruined the music button in its hand by taking it in the bath with me, and loved it so much. It had a little marching band outfit that I could put on it. 

I think it's still in a pile of stuffed animals at my grandma's house, because I never let anyone throw it away. 

On 16/06/2016 at 1:35 PM, SugaredSloth said:
Advertisement

I've been feeling pretty nostalgic lately and have been thinking about my favorite things as a kid. So I was wondering... 

Is there one particularly memorable toy from your childhood? 

Did you ever get to own it? 

What made it so special to you?

I ca't narrow it down to just one. At different points in time the following things filled that same role for me. The list is all links that will lead to pictures I found just now on google.

*links removed. Pm member for more info*

I'm sure there's lots more, but this is what came to mind first.

Edited by Natasha1
Links removed

On 16/06/2016 at 2:00 PM, George1 said:

I ca't narrow it down to just one. At different points in time the following things filled that same role for me. The list is all links that will lead to pictures I found just now on google.

*links removed*

I'm sure there's lots more, but this is what came to mind first.

Oh my god... I have so much 90's nostalgia right now.

My brother and I played with Knex all the time. We had so many of the smaller sets, but we never got the big rollercoaster one either. We did have a ferris wheel though!

And of course, Pokémon was the stuff. I still have my game boy color and Pokémon Red!

The karate fighters and the fighting Digimon things. .. I don't remember those. I did have the gigapet thing, but I think those were mostly for girls.

The robot thing is sweet, and I remember commercials for gator golf, but I never played with either of those. 

Thanks for sharing! 

Edited by Natasha1
Links

Alright, here goes a quick list of as many as I can think of:

Everything Pokemon related

Zelda

Super Mario World (That specific game out of the series)

Legos

a remote control car called Edge Rider or something

Tons of outside toys like trampolines, water toys, wagons, push n' go (I think), bikes, etc.

Marble tracks

Train tracks

Nintendo in general

A stuffed bunny that I called Bitty Bunny

Probably tons of other things I can't remember

and most importantly,

My imagination! ;)

Daaa... One thing is pretty hard to pick. Some of my favs were, power rangers, ninja turtles, Nerf guns when they were totally amazing and brand new (Loved my nerf bow and arrow), GI Joes, Matchbox cars, Transformers (Though slightly before my time) 

Nintendo, Snes, Turbo Graphix 16, Neo Geo, Sega, PC <- back when it took 7 FD to install one tiny game.

But honestly, I miss running around with kids and making our own games up. It was fun and all when technology took over, but I feel like I would have missed out on so many things. 

If I had to narrow it down, it was probably my plastic disc launcher gun. I used to have wars with those guns and my friends. 

I had this awesome little circus coming to town train. The merry go round actually turned. I used to follow it around the house as it chugged. Lol

Edited by Natasha1

I had some pull toys... not much in line of electronics in early to mid 70s lol...a clown head on a spring neck riding a car. Also what I always considered a humpty dumpy...and I called him that...his feet would alternate as you pulled him and he made the most god awful noise.

1 hour ago, LoneSquirrel said:

I always loved my stuffed animals the most.  I felt like they had feelings, even though my brain knew that was silly.

I felt the same way! When my mom would clean under the table, I would set up all the chairs like a train and take my stuffed animals for a ride. ALL of them! I knew they enjoyed it. I was sure they had lives of their own.

Edited by SugaredSloth

3 hours ago, Atron said:

I used to collect Yu-Gi-Oh cards when I was younger, I had way too many. Lol

Hahaha, I remember those too. Did you actually use them? 

I had shoeboxes full of Pokémon cards... and I never even played against people;I just liked looking at them! My 5 year old son loves Pokémon, and he wanted to start collecting cards, so I tried to find all of mine for him. I found exactly 2 cards. Lol No idea what happened to them. 

5 hours ago, Natasha1 said:

I had some pull toys... not much in line of electronics in early to mid 70s lol...a clown head on a spring neck riding a car. Also what I always considered a humpty dumpy...and I called him that...his feet would alternate as you pulled him and he made the most god awful noise.

You know, these actually sound kind of terrifying (clowns creep me out)! These were favorites of yours? 

2 hours ago, LoneSquirrel said:

I always loved my stuffed animals the most.  I felt like they had feelings, even though my brain knew that was silly.

Me too! They had feelings.  Even at 8 I was k8ssing them goodnight lol.  I still have a bunch of them.

9 minutes ago, SugaredSloth said:

You know, these actually sound kind of terrifying (clowns creep me out)! These were favorites of yours? 

Preschool years yes. They were awesome.  Nothing to them except ton pull them lol. You would have hated my light in my room...it was a huge clown head.

2 hours ago, LoneSquirrel said:

I loved my stuffed animals.

I thought we all knew about the lies the brain tells us..!

course they have feelings!

Live ones too..

37 minutes ago, SugaredSloth said:

I had shoeboxes full of Pokémon cards... and I never even played against people;I just liked looking at them! My 5 year old son loves Pokémon, and he wanted to start collecting cards, so I tried to find all of mine for him. I found exactly 2 cards. Lol No idea what happened to them. 

Same, sort of. We didn't know the rules of the game so we used to flip one card each in the air and the "winner" whose card landed the right way up got both cards. They were really popular at my school, to the extent that teachers wanted them banned because they caused conflict.. Lol

iirc I gave all mine away to my younger brother when I got bored of them

6 minutes ago, Searchingforasoul said:

I loved my stuffed animals.

I thought we all knew about the lies the brain tells us..!

course they have feelings!

Live ones too..

What's really weird is I'm 38 years old, and I still kind of feel that way. :ermm:

1 hour ago, Natasha1 said:

Preschool years yes. They were awesome.  Nothing to them except ton pull them lol. You would have hated my light in my room...it was a huge clown head.

Oh, no no no no, absolutely not! I had a laughing clown toy as a kid, and it would just randomly laugh in the middle of the night. Don't think I could have slept with a giant clown head in my room! 

57 minutes ago, LoneSquirrel said:

What's really weird is I'm 38 years old, and I still kind of feel that way. :ermm:

I'm even older. I 'm a guy and adults should be bla bla bla..

But  so do I!

I used to collect Bennie Babies a lot growing up and always brought me joy. Also Had a favorite stuff animal rabbit too. 

I have a Curious George stuffed  doll that I still have.I`ve had him since I was 5 years old.I also have all of my Cabbage Patch dolls.They were a big thing back then.They were pretty special to me because my Mom bought them for us and they were hard to get a hold of.She even had a co worker make  clothes especially for those dolls.Me and my little sis used to have a lot of fun playing with them. Hey I always though my toys had feelings too.I guess that`s why I find it terribly difficult to let go of my things.I also have a couple of Barbie`s from when I was kid.

Sign in to follow this