womanofthelight

Share an Interesting (or not so interesting) Fact About Yourself

Have you learned any piano at all?  I took piano lessons as a child and was intimidated by all the musicians in my household, so I quit lessons after about 7 years.  I play occasionally, but not well, unfortunately.  Ever thought of taking lessons?

2 hours ago, womanofthelight said:

Have you learned any piano at all?  I took piano lessons as a child and was intimidated by all the musicians in my household, so I quit lessons after about 7 years.  I play occasionally, but not well, unfortunately.  Ever thought of taking lessons?

Piano is actually my first instrument. I'm making a career of teaching piano lessons in my home.

15 minutes ago, Donaldopato said:

I recently sang the "Star Spangled Banner" with a group at a professional baseball game. About the only thing interesting lately.

I did the same but at a low key event as a soloist...pulled a David Lee Roth (groan) was not my finest moment.

1 hour ago, Donaldopato said:

In that vein, I do not like chocolate. As a kid it gave me hives. It does not do that anymore, but the taste and smell of chocolate makes me gag. 

I only recently decided I DO like chocolate.  Real chocolate, that is.  Everything we consume has been reduced to lowest terms, so milk chocolate just tastes sweet; no particular chocolate flavor.  I really enjoy they occasional piece of dark chocolate.

I'm an Aries, which is considered the "baby" of the Zodiac because it is the first sign.  (Baby?  Well!)  I'll probably have to live to be 135 years old to be judged by astrologists to have learned any lessons. 

I think it was Paramahansa Yogananda who said we have the potential to live 120 years, and he died in 1952.  Maybe we will live to 135!  A lot has happened in the last 64 years to prolong life.

Speaking of which, my younger brother, David, attended a 2-day cadaver exploration to better understand how the body works and apply it to the nutrition/fitness/regeneration program he has developed in his job.  But the experience has had a negative effect on him, which I anticipated, but did not verbalize to him.  (Who wants to hear, "I don't think you should do this?  You're still very vulnerable.  It's not a good idea.") 

He lost his life partner, Brad, in December of 2013, and the pain of that loss is still with him every day.  Some days he comes home from work and just cries.  Having observed and even participated in this 2-day session, he can't get certain images out of his mind; he thinks of the autopsy of his boyfriend's corpse and what the coroner did to it; he thinks of our parents in that state because they will be donating their bodies to science; he's a former body builder and keeps himself in top form, but since the session, cannot eat meat (not even fish or fowl), and really isn't interested in food at all. 

I want to help him, but since I've never lost a lover to death or seen a corpse dismantled, the best I can do for him is to listen.  The one thing that is of comfort to him is that he told Brad every day that he loved him.  I love you, David.  Maybe one day you'll come to the forums!

@womanofthelight Listening to David is the best thing. 

This reminded me of a time when my best friend had lost her mother--very suddenly over Christmas. She and I were sharing a house with another grad student. Anyway, I had just begun dating the man I would eventually marry, and one night we must have been too noisy. My friend began moving furniture around in her room, slamming things. She had to get up before dawn to get to her job.

We quieted down and in the morning she didn't want to talk to me. She left before I was up.

I decided to cut one of my afternoon classes to sit with her in the afternoon. Her day was winding down, I could offer to make us tea or something. I did that every day until we were speaking normally to one another. Just sat and listened. She was so important to me, I didn't want to lose her. 

My friendship with her is longer than my marriage.

I'm apparently the last person on the planet who uses dial-up because there aren't any other options available unless I learn how to make gold out of earwax to pay for it.

I have lately had a constant desire to innovate, even if I don't know what I want to innovate on sometimes.

For example, lately I have come across a problem with twitter. I have a whole bunch of tweets I want to send out, but can't because they don't have a built in functionality (probably to avoid spammers). Now when starting out it may not seem so bad, but as your list of tweets grow, it can become a real pain.

I have yet to come across a free software that would let you tweet in bulk. So been thinking of a way a software could do that via C# or Java programming.

On 6/16/2016 at 4:15 PM, Marie241 said:

Do you have a wish list as well?

Nah.  As time passes, desires change.  And there's something about the term wish list that's off-putting to me.  If it's in my cart, I figure it's entirely possible.  If I'm wishing . . . hmm.  it just makes it seem farther away.

I have small, decorative bottles filled with the red sand of every desert in the west that I've visited.  They sit on windowsills on the west end of the house so that they will have exposure to the rays of the western sun and retain their red color.  Sitting in this room, near the sand, makes me feel better.  Stones, ore, elements of the earth are VERY POWERFUL. 

5 hours ago, womanofthelight said:

I have small, decorative bottles filled with the red sand of every desert in the west that I've visited.  They sit on windowsills on the west end of the house so that they will have exposure to the rays of the western sun and retain their red color.  Sitting in this room, near the sand, makes me feel better.  Stones, ore, elements of the earth are VERY POWERFUL. 

Well having stones, ores, sands or any element or the Earth does make one feel closer to nature. Maybe that is why it is so powerful in its relaxing properties as well as help create a more natural environment.