Sign in to follow this  
anchors

How do I find motivation to take a shower?

If I'm really depressed, showering happens when my stink starts giving me migraines or all my dry skin triggers my allergies.

Showering is often the impetus for a productive day, so I try to keep that in mind. I tell myself "you don't have to do anything else today, but I'd really like you to shower because you will feel better." And I force myself and I always feel better. It's just the starting that's difficult.

7 minutes ago, Kogent5 said:

If I'm really depressed, showering happens when my stink starts giving me migraines or all my dry skin triggers my allergies.

Showering is often the impetus for a productive day, so I try to keep that in mind. I tell myself "you don't have to do anything else today, but I'd really like you to shower because you will feel better." And I force myself and I always feel better. It's just the starting that's difficult.

My cpn used to call it hydration therapy. 

Just now, bigtattoo said:

My cpn used to call it hydration therapy. 

It kind of is! It makes me feel like I accomplished something and I always feel more confident and eneegetic compared to when I just roll out of bed and head straight out.

On 1/14/2018 at 5:59 PM, bigtattoo said:I wonder sometimes if there a psychological element to it too. That  we think we don’t deserve to be clean. 

That's interesting. I haven't thought of it like that before. We deserve to be clean, gosh darn it!

I treated myself to a good waterproof Bluetooth speaker for Christmas so I've been listening to music or podcasts in the shower and that helps. Makes showers more fun and less just me left alone with my thoughts.

Hey everyone, OP here!

Update: I’m okay. I’m doing well. It gets easier.

I still struggle but I take care of myself to the best of my ability and showering isn’t this tough anymore. Some days, sure, I’m tired and it sucks. But most days, I try to have fun with it. I blare music and sing and dance (when no one else is home.) It’s one of the better parts of my day.

To anyone struggling with this, my best advice is to try not to make it any harder than it needs to be. Figure out what you need to do. Wash hair, body, face, etc. Break it down even FURTHER if you need to. Wet hair, shampoo hair, wash out shampoo, so on and so forth. Take as much time as you need. Try to make it fun if you can (like me with my music), so it doesn’t feel like such a chore. And know that you’ll feel better afterward, even if it’s only a little bit. A little bit’s better than nothing when you’re depressed. Hygiene can be tough. It’s gonna suck for awhile, but do it anyway. One step at a time.

I really believe we can all learn to take better care of ourselves. It’ll just take some time!

Good luck ☺️❤️

Two things that have helped motivate me to take a shower:

*Find a REALLY nice smelling soap/shampoo and try it out in the shower (like the best smelling one you can find)

*Have something to look forward to that you "have" to take a shower for....(like going to a movie, going somewhere to eat, visiting someone etc.)

Maybe having a little routine with nice smelling lotions or something afterwards can be the teaser to take a shower. I know that when I finally take one after feeling grungy I feel like a million bucks. I think it's all about making showering something to look forward to and get excited about. Best of luck.

edit: Saw Op's post :) That's awesome that you listen to music! Makes it a good, fun and positive experience. Yep.

Edited by owlleef
update