Racing Brain Syndrome and Insomnia

JD4010

Last night, I tried to fall asleep after taking two Trazadone pills. I started to feel groggy and drugged, but for the life of me, I couldn't get to sleep. After over an hour of tossing and turning, I got up and wandered around the apartment like a zombie.

This is fairly typical for me. My brain starts to race and I can't stop it. I've tried mindfulness techniques and other cognitive tools, but to no avail.

Anyone else an insomniac?

I am... I just don't know how to shut my brain off

Funny enough, I suffer from both insomnia and hypersomnia... I can't fall asleep at night, but can't get up in the morning either, which is really annoying

Edited by Shacke

51 minutes ago, JD4010 said:

Last night, I tried to fall asleep after taking two Trazadone pills. I started to feel groggy and drugged, but for the life of me, I couldn't get to sleep. After over an hour of tossing and turning, I got up and wandered around the apartment like a zombie.

This is fairly typical for me. My brain starts to race and I can't stop it. I've tried mindfulness techniques and other cognitive tools, but to no avail.

Anyone else an insomniac?

Im like that to last night i tossed and turned for hours i don,t even know if I get sleep every night I take trazdone to it helps sometimes but alot of the time it has no effect on me. I have pace around the house just getting frustrated I can,t sleep sometimes I try to read or watch tv. Its so frustrating,I must of tried a hundred different supplements mediation exercise cutting out caffeine I wear googles that block blue light, a sun lamp. I can understand your suffering insomnia sucks.

I take trazadone for the same reason. And like others here have said, sometimes it works well, sometimes less so. I would wake up in the middle of the night, usually 2:30-3:00 AM, get all anxious, upset and worrying about everything and nothing and then could not sleep. My dog would wake up and then she would start to pace around and keep me up even more. (She is epileptic and is prone to pacing back and forth compulsively.) I do say I am better than I was and I see my psychiatrist next week so we will discuss the medication and see what is next..

My brain used to race but it doesn't anymore.  I just exercise until my brain calms down.  I exercise every time I start feeling anxiety.  Before I was like tweak from south park all day long.  Now I'm hardly ever nervous.  I'm telling everyone here the best fix for anxiety is to run on a treadmill.  It works every single time for me.  I was someone that never got good sleep.  Now that I exercise every day I never have trouble with a racing mind and I never have trouble falling asleep.

7 hours ago, Shacke said:

I am... I just don't know how to shut my brain off

Funny enough, I suffer from both insomnia and hypersomnia... I can't fall asleep at night, but can't get up in the morning either, which is really annoying

Sounds like my life...

I had a reasonably decent sleep last night. I used mirtazapine this time. It seems to have less of a zombie effect on me. I woke up a few times, but fell asleep again fairly quickly.

My cats jump up and down the bed at night. This can wake me up. But the comfort of having them there with me outweighs the wake up.

The best part about exercising a lot like I do isn't just less anxiety or better sleep.  I exercise and stay active all day long mainly so I can eat whatever I want.  I might have to diet hard one day a week but other than that I eat like a horse and stay skinny because I never stop moving until the end of the day.

I have it bad since getting of clonazepam last March. I always had it, but that helped (but caused more problems). I go through a strange cycle now that lasts about five weeks. I'll sleep 'okay' for a few days. I'll fall asleep at 10:30 or so and stay asleep all night, but still won't feel rested. Then over the next three weeks+ it will get worse and worse. I'll fall asleep at 10:30, but wake up at 10:45 and then be up until 5am. Then the last week of the cycle usually involves not sleeping one minute the first night (just laying there all night completely unable to doze off at all), then sleeping maybe 2-3 hours the next night, then not at all again the third night. The last time through that part of the cycle, it lasted three weeks like that. The longest it has ever lasted.

I've been on every sleeping pill. None worked. They just make me feel terrible, and I still can't sleep. After seven months of getting jerked around by my insurance, I finally got my sleep study last week. Of course, it showed nothing, even though I was up most of the night through it. I have a follow up this morning about it. The tech told me the sleeping pills only try to get you to 'level 1' sleep, which is nothing, and you need level 3 and 4 sleep to actually get deep sleep, and said mari.juana and morphine get you there. The first doesn't help me, and I've never had the second.

Nothing else helps. Before my foot problems, I could exercise myself into the ground, and it wouldn't affect sleep at all. It's impossible to get myself tired enough to sleep. I'm hazy and tired and nodding off at the wheel all day, and at about 8:00 at night, that's it. I'm wide awake. Full of energy, which is mostly just anxiety.

Yeah. Anxiety here too. The garden shrub helps somewhat. My ability to exercise is limited right now because of a leg injury--and the incessant hot, sticky weather we are having. I need to lose 30-lbs but it seems like an impossibility at this point.

I've been an insomniac most of my life. I'm currently on very low dowsage of mirtazapin again. Get's me to sleep so it's sorted out insomnia for the time being.

Moodswings have also evened out somewhat as a consequence, but I'm at a loss with dealing with racing thoughts and feeling total empty when awake.

As yet, nothing has helped me dealing with these traits I've also lived  with most of my life.