Jobs for People with Depression?

Ixeua

Are there any jobs that are suited for people with depression? I have been struggling with depression for years. Even if it's a part-time job I am totally fine with that as long as I can get some pay while doing something to get busy to stave away those unpleasant thoughts. Something that allows me to work in a low-stress, quiet environment.

How do you guys deal with working with depression?

Thanks.

Just now, Mark250 said:

First thought is librarian. Other than that I'm not sure. Just about every job I can think of involves lots of interaction with people. 

I am OK with interacting with people but let's just say something that involves minimal 'politics at work' if you know what I mean.

Yeah I think I know what you mean. Typical offices seem to be the worst for workplace politics. Maybe look into some kind of driving job, like a delivery driver. Driving jobs seem to be mostly free of 'politics'. 

I work in the care industry (elderly) Im in the middle of quitting one job (its way more stress than I can handle) and have another job lined up ready. Caring for other people is a hard job, but the rewards you reap from it are worth it, its a good job to have if you need to feel some sort of self worth, and as you are so busy caring for other people it kinda takes your mind off of everything else 

Some of my best years working with depression have been doing work outside: guiding, teaching, etc.  I get to stay active and in the sun which has always been better than lethargic desk work inside.

I am in a similar boat right now.  My depression is waning a bit for the moment after 8 months coping with one of my worst bouts in 20 years.  I was promoted to a management position in that time-frame and it turned out to be rather toxic, to say the least.  I am debating returning to a less stressful position as my wife is the primary bread-winner.  I am just struggling with the classic concerns about "career" ambitions, etc.  I don't have an any easy answer.

What are your skills and work experiences?

If you haven't completed college, I recommend volunteering or an internship (if your finances permit it). This exposes you to many tasks and helps show you what you do and don't like. Being a library volunteer might be a good idea. It would also help you be hired later, as it could count as that "experience" that employers are so eager to see. I never did any internships of volunteering, as I worked to pay my bills and didn't have time. Now I'm unemployed and don't know what to do. Don't turn into me.

I've been working part time for a couple years as a peer support at a behavioral health agency with others with depression and anxiety. I'm terrible at talking to people but my boss is my former case manager and they understand all of my issues and are more understanding about this kind of disability, unlike a "regular" job where they would just fire you if you need a day off because you're too anxious or depressed or starting a new med or whatever, as long as it's within reason.