Sign in to follow this  
Tinamommy

Relapsing from a single missed dose

I've been suffering from a prolonged treatment resistant depression since July of 2015...it took many months of trial and error to finally find a combination of meds that have helped to bring me closer to remission than any other. For the past month I've been relatively stable until 4 mornings ago I missed a dose. It took a day and a half to feel the impact which I am now suffering from. It's as though I am back to square two. Has anyone done this and had this happen to them? How long did it take to get back to homeostasis? Or did I completely jeapordize the process and will never get back to my previous baseline? I would've thought by now (4 days later) I would've recovered back to my baseline. Hope there's someone out there who can provide some encouragement. 

Hi Tinamommy,

How awful for you! ! !  I am so very very sorry this happened! ! !   I wish I knew what to say to help.  I have been on Celexa, Lexapro, Zoloft and Tofranil and have always been able to recover the gains of these medications in about one day after a missed dose or two days at the most.   But I do not suffer from treatment resistant depression, at least so far.  What is happening to you is heartbreaking ! ! !  Hopefully someone here will have had experiences more in line with your own and can be helpful.  Deep apologies for my inability to help you ! ! !  You are in my thoughts and prayers and I hope you attain the best possible outcome as soon as possible.  Depression is so unimaginably brutal.

Sincerely, Epictetus

Tinamommy:

I have a lot of sympathy for your situation, so I make the next comment to hopefully make you feel better, not worse:

most people can miss one dose of medication and not have any negative results at all.

I believe that your current state of mind is not based on your body's physical reaction to missing a dose, and I don't think you've jeopardized the process of the medication's effectiveness.

I believe that you're just having a non-depression emotional reaction of fear and anxiety after you realized that you missed a dose.  Your reaction is not a depression flare-up based on a physical or chemistry imbalance caused by one missed dose, your reaction is just worry, the kind of worry that even non-depressed people get when they fear a mistake they made will create a problem.

So, yes, I can provide encouragement by saying: use all of your other coping skills, mental distractions, relaxation techniques, etc. to take your mind off the fact that you missed one dose.  After you stop thinking about it, you'll return to your balanced baseline.

Edited by Lynn1954