Coffee and video games vs Depression

danel

When i feel motivated enough sometimes i drink a tonne of coffee and play video games in this moments i feel slightly euphoric and all my problems seem like they vanish until the come down.

Anyone eles do any of these events to rid their depression? i find it helps

Also playing video games it makes my mind focus on something that inst negative. lately iv been taking inspiration into not thinking as much and just do the thing you want stop feeling bad about myself.

also i notice my low mood depression turns into more anger which i find alot better atleast i can fight against that cloud above my head

Edited by danel

I don't drink cofee, but I do play games from same reason. And I do it a lot. Actually, anything that can make my mind stop racing is good. I overthink things. A LOT. Games sometimes help me stop. 

What other coping strategies have you tried? 

To be honest, this is one of the best ways to take your mind off things. Give it something else to think about. I do something similar, I use a legal high and play games, the advantage of it is that when I'm done I don't then default back to my depressed state. I'm not going to advocate its use but its what I do.

2 hours ago, Shacke said:

I don't drink cofee, but I do play games from same reason. And I do it a lot. Actually, anything that can make my mind stop racing is good. I overthink things. A LOT. Games sometimes help me stop. 

What other coping strategies have you tried? 

screaming into my pillow. Being around positive people, putting one of those belts around your waist that tone you (because it makes you care more about the pain there lol)

also music can help sometimes but ii feel its a gamble it can make you feel worse sometimes. I like heavy metal but i feel it enforces my opinion on hating society i also like tupac remixes again the same problem...

Edited by danel

I've used video games to escape from my depression for as long as there have been video games (!). I used to use coffee too, but I gave that up. The video games did help me forget about my sadness, etc., but only while I played them. As soon as I stopped playing, I was right back in the Abyss. Unfortunately, the anhedonia that comes with my depression recently got so bad that it invaded my video game world, and I lost all interest in playing.

I've been reading about complex PTSD recently. I was diagnosed with this years ago but only recently started researching it. I have a lot of dissociative symptoms associated with trauma, and retreating into video games is one of these. Becoming completely involved in a game allows me to disconnect from the pain caused by my traumatic past. Since I'm trying to face that pain head-on now, I suppose it's good that I'm less interested in gaming, but I do really miss wanting to play :coopcray:.

Last fall I became completely addicted to Candy Crush, which is really unusual for me.  I was never that interested in video games or long lasting strategy games.  I had been working with a therapist who is an expert on trauma, and she said that gaming is a very common way of blocking out pain. I know it helped at the time, but I had to stop because I was spending too much for the add ons.  I have since found a really good Sudoku app.  My therapist didn't feel that it was bad to escape the pain - sometimes dealing with pain can be too hard, as long as you are slowly working on the healing process.

Coffee? Nah. I don't mess with that anymore unless I really NEED it. I've learned my lesson with caffeine. As for video games, depends on my motivation. Games are such a part of my life and have become such a routine that they are not as therapeutic as they used to be. In fact, I haven't picked up my game in a couple of days, or maybe a week. But if I have the energy/willpower, I'll play them. 

I've been using games to escape my highly anxiety-inducing surroundings since I was five or six. Good ol' Super Mario Brothers. There have been times when I've used artificial gaming achievements to compensate for my lack of real-life achievements, and that definitely wasn't healthy. It's nice to enjoy games for what they are--and not let them become my sole focus--now that I'm 'leveling up' slowly but surely in real life. 

One thing I'm still working on is not getting angry when playing sports games or competitive shooters. I can't think of anything more absurd than getting mad over something that's supposed to be fun

Edit: Oh, and coffee is also great. :thumbsup:

Edited by Barrier Maiden

I love coffee but this morning it literally felt like I was dying after being given a strong cup of filtered coffee. I forgot I can't have filtered coffee. Never again. Need to wean off frozen coffee too and go onto decaff. I love coffee but going through such intense heart palpitations that make one shake, weep, and feel like they're going insane is not good.

Also yes, I've been a HUGE gaming geek since I played my first game on a NES in hospital when I was about 3. My first console was a Mega Drive with Sonic and I was great fan of that series as a kid, even having the character painted on my walls for a few years. Throughout all of my ill times, I've always relied on gaming to keep me going, as both a pacifier and a potential reward. I studied videogame analysis in Uni and was going to do media journalism as a career but... I've not made anything of that aside from a couple of online reviews on various sites.

Nowadays I often lack the concentration for deep gameplay unless it is something that I am highly interested in and passionate about. My favourite genre is RPGs and while back I spent over 100 hours total on Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth. I felt pride for having put it in that much effort; a testament to how much I enjoyed that game. But I still didn't finish it. I find co-op gaming helps keep my interest through long sessions and times where my interest wanes or I get frustrated. Recently a mate and I went halves on buying Uncharted 4 and we're at... chapter 16 I think. Enjoying it a lot so far!

I have a question, for those of you who are really into video games. I was wondering when you guys play your games a lot, is it the kind of gaming where it is online, so you can here someone else's voice and sort of "talk" to another person that is also gaming? Or is it playing the game solo without being online.? I'm just curious, because I had a roommate that play video games but he always had about 3 people over in his room, and they would play together but not online. They seemed to be having so much fun and would stay up really late playing. Alas, I never really played any video games so I was just curious about it..........

12 hours ago, melplus said:

I have a question, for those of you who are really into video games. I was wondering when you guys play your games a lot, is it the kind of gaming where it is online, so you can here someone else's voice and sort of "talk" to another person that is also gaming? Or is it playing the game solo without being online.? I'm just curious, because I had a roommate that play video games but he always had about 3 people over in his room, and they would play together but not online. They seemed to be having so much fun and would stay up really late playing. Alas, I never really played any video games so I was just curious about it..........

I suppose this is depends on the gamer themselves, their moods, and their lifestyle.

I'm definitely more of a solo gamer though I do enjoy this spout of co-op gaming I started recently. Also love getting a group of friends round for multiplayer rounds, or going on MMOs like Final Fantasy XIV and hanging out with other players online.

My friends and I set aside Friday night as "Guy Night" where we literally set up 3-4 PS4s in a room and all game together. It's a lot of fun. But yeah, I game a lot to deal with my depression. I go through different fluctuations on what I tend to play as sometimes I can't deal with playing something competitive online if I'm too burned out. Lately it's been Uncharted 4 and Overwatch. They've given me a good yin and yang between online shooter and single player experience. I tend to use more... illicit and mellowing substances than coffee as my go to... but that being said my weekend ritual is to wake up and brew myself a big cup of coffee and sit down to enjoy some video games.

23 hours ago, Panda123 said:

video gaming is awesome. But I can't find good games

Do you play on computer or console? Cause depending on what types of games you're into I might have some suggestions. I play a lot of AAA major release titles but I really enjoy indie games too, those tend to give me some of the most mellow and enjoyable game play.

21 hours ago, melplus said:

If I'm playing online games with voice chat, I go into party chat on PS4 in my own party so I don't hear anyone and they don't hear me. Not everyone playing with a mic is a jerk, but I ran into enough of them to not want to risk triggering my anxiety when I'm just trying to relax and have fun. I have played with people from various games' subreddits and with people I've met chatting in Twitch streams and have had only good experiences. If I know someone at least a little bit, I'm fine jumping into voice chat with them, but being in public game chat that anyone can join just stresses me out.

Personally my greatest enjoyment in videogames comes from discovering and investing in the lesser known titles that then become long-running series. Two of my favourite Japanese series Zero Escape and Etrian Odyssey are getting sequels released in the next few weeks and I've already got special editions on pre-order :D

Huge RPG and action game fan here. Here are some recommendations:

Grim Dawn

Thief

Dishonored

Final Fantasy Series

Max Payne Series

Fallout Series

Elder Scrolls Series

Video games make me feel worse sometimes. I go why are you such a loser that has to entertain your self with these things because you ended up alone,I use to like them but I kind of resent them now. I resent using computers to I have nothing else to do though so I give in eventually I force myself to go out and I talk to people but I never make friends,then I put myself down for that. I don,t like sitting in the house all day I run and do things wiith my family members but feel bad for that to and tell myself that your such a loser you don,t have any friends that only your family still talks to you so I try not to talk to them. I end up just staring at the celing some days because I regret how I ended up in life. I can go out and talk to people in classes I took at work but it feels just as empty when im alone. Everytime I play video games these thoughts go thru my mind and I don,t want to play them or watch tv, use the computer read a book. I can talk to tons of people and not be friends with anyone and have no social life, but then I don,t like being alone either.

5 minutes ago, Teddy545 said:

So you judge yourself for playing video games?  You're at the begging of your life and the very beginning of your adulthood so I don't think you've ended up as anything yet.  I've been hearing a lot of self judgment and self bullying from you lately.  Do you still have problems with connecting with people?  It turns out if you don't show your true self to people you wont be able to connect with them.

Yeah I do I don,t know who I am anymore. yes I still have problems connecting with people im, going to try therapy again to see if it helps. it makes me upset because it reminds of my childhood when I was depressed and alone. I do judge myself constantly 24/7 pretty much and have been beating myself up over the issues since I was a child almost everyday. The only person that got me was my therapist and I miss going to see her, but my university is done. So I need to get a different therpist. There has to be some kind of therpy to force myself to show myself to people. sorry im just upset tonight after reading about other peoples lifes.

11 minutes ago, scienceguy said:

Yeah I do I don,t know who I am anymore. yes I still have problems connecting with people im, going to try therapy again to see if it helps. it makes me upset because it reminds of my childhood when I was depressed and alone. I do judge myself constantly 24/7 pretty much and have been beating myself up over the issues since I was a child almost everyday. The only person that got me was my therapist and I miss going to see her, but my university is done. So I need to get a different therpist. There has to be some kind of therpy to force myself to show myself to people. sorry im just upset tonight after reading about other peoples lifes.

It's hard not to judge yourself isn't it? I will bet a whole lot of us do it. It sure doesn't help out with the depression though does it. You're still a work progress I hope that we all are.).so  don't be too hard on yourself about needing  the video games and family right now. ((  ))

Edited by melplus

2 hours ago, ParaDoxiPaladin said:

Personally my greatest enjoyment in videogames comes from discovering and investing in the lesser known titles that then become long-running series. Two of my favourite Japanese series Zero Escape and Etrian Odyssey are getting sequels released in the next few weeks and I've already got special editions on pre-order :D

So video gaming can kind of become a collection of sorts.......

12 minutes ago, Teddy545 said:

That's okay, I don't mind that you are upset, I understand that is very painful for you.  I think it would be hard to be yourself when you are judging yourself so much.  I think you're good enough even if you don't have what other people have.  Do you think other people deserve to be called a loser for playing video games, not having friends or a significant other?

I would not call them a loser but I would think there not good with people or they must be ugly,needy, weak, passive, not likeable.

12 minutes ago, Teddy545 said:

Oh no.  You think that about yourself? What does it mean for a person to be weak? Every person is needy, it's just that most people's needs are being met.  I think you're likable. 

Yeah I do think that about myself accept that im not likable. Weakness is a person who frighted of everything or hesitates to act.