Sign in to follow this  
samadhiSheol

All things music (noise too)

Hi,

I'd be interested to know what role music plays in any of your lifes. Your likes, moodshifter - songs, playlists, favourites, hates etc.

I listen to A LOT of music and I suspect music can mean a lot to not a few of you .

I've dabbled with actually making music, playing in a couple of(noise) bands in my youth, toyed with taperecorders etc., but don't actually know how to play any instrument properly. So I listen to people who do.

My earliest memories of music are songs played on the radio in the early seventies. David Bowie, glamrock, Led Zep etc. Love it. I also remember standing outside an electrical power plant at the age of 4 or 5 and listening enthralled  to the drone of amplifiers and what not.. 

I was exposed to country and western, Johnny Cash and 50's-60's Elvis, at an early age thanks to my dad. Elvis and Johnny Cash were my first musical "idols" and I still are..

Growing up I got into punk, new wave, goth and a bit later on, industrial and /or noise. Einsturzende Neubauten, Throbbing Gristle, NON, Z'ev.. I still love listening to that stuff. The more abbrasive and chthonic stuff saved me from myself in the 80's.. still does.

In the more recent past , I've listened to a lot of jazz, mainly 1940's -1960's bebop, hard bop, cool, west coast.. Also classical music.

I could go on forever. I'm pretty eclectic, but I don't like ALL music.

But what I don't like doesn't mean I can't appreaciate other people's musical appetites. If the music you listen to, the lyrics,a certain tempo or guitar riff makes you feel better or enpowers you, it's good for YOU. It doesn't matter do others like it or not, or if others think it's "not suitable for you", whatever that means..

So it goes without saying that anything goes. I'd be happy to hear about ANYTHING concerning your experiences with music.

Ramalama fa fa fa.

I can enjoy most types of music - Very few genres I flat out dislike.

It really depends on my mood, if I just want to relax I might switch on a lounge-style radio station, or a piano-themed one, maybe new age..

If I'm frustrated or feel more energized I like to listen to more energetic music, maybe metal.

There are many varied radio stations I've got fav'ed on a site (TuneIn) for any situation, classical, latest hits, tropical, jazz, trance, minimal, experimental, etc etc, even organ and martial.

So yeah, I listen to pretty much anything and everything depending on how I feel at the moment.

I love music.It was always around my house since we were kids.My mom would play her us her 60`s and 70`s stuff and make a game out of cleaning the house on saturdays.My older sister got me into lot`s of 80`s stuff when I was a kid things like Culture Club and Prince and lots of 80`s new wave.My little sister got me to listen to Bob Marley.

I think my favorite kind of music is alternative though.My favorite artist is Morrissey with and without The Smiths.I love his lyrics.Some people think his music can be depressing but there is so much more there.I guess his music makes me feel like I am less alone in this world.Morrissey`s lyrics speak to me and I love him for that.

Well, first music I was listening was some rap... Eminem among others

Later I switched to metal. Literally everything in metal... Melodic, symphonic, generic, metalcore, death metal, black metal, thrash metal, nu metal... EVERYTHING

Also, some rock, mostly hard rock

Music has saved me from doing something irreversible, on more than one occasion. It is very important in my life, no matter the genre. If you ever want to talk music, send me a private message :flowers:

Wow.

I can relate to each and everyone of you. I love hearing about what you feel, think or do when you listen to something you love.

Sometimes I listen to certain types music because I feel in a certain way. Sometimes I hear something and it makes me sad or happy or it brings to mind a lyric, riff or tune from another song.

And sometimes, listening to music that makes you feel angry, sad or even frustrated can be a good thing.. at least for me. 

Music is one of my most important ways of coping with myself. I suppose that's why I'm so interested with your experiences.

Keep them coming!

It was in the late 90's (WHY? Always the 90's??), I was sitting in an obscure bar/pub somewhere in Prague. It was the time when smoking was permitted universally in Europe so it was one of the places you could actually cut the air with a knife just to see who is sitting opposite you.. It was that dense.

Anyhow, all of sudden amidst the cigarette smoke and the almost empty pub, I heard this slightly of-key melancholic piano playing and this amazingly rough, but sympathetic voice singing...If you could call it singing...It sounded like someone on a bourbon-binge..

I realized it was Tom Waits. Sadly it wasn't live. Nevertheless, my wife-to-be and I stayed for the duration of the whole record. They played the whole album.

Since then on I've loved Tom Waits. Listening to him now, as a matter of fact. Just home from work, feeling tired and extremely wistful, as I tend to feel listening to Tom Waits.

Not surprisingly I feel wistful most of the time.

I grew up listening to funk, R&B, 70s, 80s music....

Michael Jackson, Prince, etc. My dad and mom played all sorts of music that they listened to during their younger years. Fun times.

After awhile, I decided to venture to find my own preference, and stumbled upon drum and bass and other EDM. I stuck with these because 1) I liked the sounds and the beats, and 2) it gave me something that made me different from my other peers. Something that made me feel unique. 

Music keeps me...or makes me motivated. It also helps keep my mind from wondering on negative thoughts, and calms me down.

I also like drum n' bass, some edm, dubstep etc. Especially the more "lunatic fringe" stuff out there.

I totally agree that the music you like can be a major distraction (in the GOOD sense).

I loooove music!! It's almost the air I breathe, it makes me feel more alive and happier in general. I listen all kinds of music, but mostly energetic pop and dance songs, EDM, trance & house, Korean/Chinese/Japanese pop music, chill out & nature, new age, lounge, classical, rock (well, Linkin Park only), metal (Within Temptation only)...

Music ♥

I started out liking rap, soul and rock music (mainly hard rock and nu-metal) as a kid. I love music of all kinds, to the point where I actually am interested in the history behind genres and all of that good stuff. Classical, electronic, folk, all great. But I am first and foremost a metalhead. Doom metal was always my favorite, it's slow tempo and heavy as a hippo -- until recently (last month) I decided to try out black metal for the second time.

As a kid I soooo hated black metal lmao, it was way too much for me, it felt like a bunch of pots and pans bashing against the floor, I thought it was absolute crap. But seeing as I became a die hard metal fan throughout high school, I wanted to learn to appreciate it. Whenever I spoke about music, I always mentioned that I didn't like black metal. My one exception was the band Behemoth because they ripped. I was always open to hearing some if someone showed me a song, though.

I read that you have to work your way up to liking it, it's not something you can just jump straight into or you really wouldn't be able to get it. I had already been well acquainted with heavy music from liking doom and thrash. So I decided to just start listening to some bands on bandcamp and within days... black metal became my favorite musical genre period. The intensity, the complexity, musicianship, good grief is it amazing -- out of this world. It really touches me deeply.  I wish I could remember that band that I hated as a kid and see if they're still crap to me or not lol. I love Enslaved, they're all I listen to right now mainly, finest metal I ever heard, they're hands down my favorite band. I have every album by them, without their music... I don't know what I'd listen to daily. 

Music plays a big part in my life. I was brought up on classic rock thanks to my mum and that has progressed to a love of black/thrash/industrial metal, punk. EBM, aggrotech. I also secretly love a bit of old school trance 

7 hours ago, 710duchess said:

Music plays a big part in my life. I was brought up on classic rock thanks to my mum and that has progressed to a love of black/thrash/industrial metal, punk. EBM, aggrotech. I also secretly love a bit of old school trance 

Oh yes. Nothing like the stuff that gets the adrenalin into your veins.

I like oldschool trance. Not always secretly either..

I was listening to Kliling Joke's Hosiannahs from the depths of Hell yesterday on my way to work and began thinking of a friend of mine I've known ever since I moved into the country I'm still living in. He Liked this particular album a lot, and it got us talking of all kinds of stuff about the time he had just heard it the first time. Musichad that affect on us.

Knowing him since 1975, we had a connection not many people seem to have. We didn't see eye to eye on many things, but it had no influence on our friendship at all. Sometimes we didn't have to say much at all. Listen to music and just say the random sentence every now and again.

He died two years ago due to some mysterious alcohol-related incident. He was a binge-drinker and had been hospitalized twice before.

I heard about it nine months after the fact and was devastated.

I still am.  Ive carried conversations with him in my dreams (Ido that alot in my dreams..weird stuff really. I know most of the times my"dead" have  truly passed away and that I'm dreaming. It feels SO REAL)

I'm listening to Walking with Gods by KJ now.

Hope your enjoying yourself up there my friend.

I was listening to Kliling Joke's Hosiannahs from the depths of Hell yesterday on my way to work and began thinking of a friend of mine I've known ever since I moved into the country I'm still living in. He Liked this particular album a lot, and it got us talking of all kinds of stuff about the time he had just heard it the first time. Musichad that affect on us.

Knowing him since 1975, we had a connection not many people seem to have. We didn't see eye to eye on many things, but it had no influence on our friendship at all. Sometimes we didn't have to say much at all. Listen to music and just say the random sentence every now and again.

He died two years ago due to some mysterious alcohol-related incident. He was a binge-drinker and had been hospitalized twice before.

I heard about it nine months after the fact and was devastated.

I still am.  Ive carried conversations with him in my dreams (Ido that alot in my dreams..weird stuff really. I know most of the times my"dead" have  truly passed away and that I'm dreaming. It feels SO REAL)

I'm listening to Walking with Gods by KJ now.

Hope your enjoying yourself up there my friend.

16 hours ago, Searchingforasoul said:

Oh yes. Nothing like the stuff that gets the adrenalin into your veins.

I like oldschool trance. Not always secretly either..

I get my love of trance from my 60 year old dad believe it or not 

@Searchingforasoul thanks for the great topic! I enjoyed your own stories of the impact music has had in your life and how it creates such strong memories. I am a huge Tom Waits fan too and you had a great story of how you were introduced to him. For me, a friend was playing the "Blood Money" album, and I was entranced by his barking voice over the enchanting melodies, hehe. Then I went back to the very beginning, when he still had a "normal" voice, like on "The Early Years" and "Closing Time." And then everything in between of course, with "Alice" being a particular favorite. It is my dream to see him live in concert, but that might prove difficult, hehe. 

Noise music eh? I find the concept very interesting for sure, but hard to listen to! Not sure if you're familiar with the genre "power electronics", which seems to be an evolution of noise, but even noisier, and even darker subject material (see Whitehouse).  But your mention of Einsturzende Neubauten can't help but remind me of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, who I think would be of interest to many people on this forum!

@Third Eye Seeker always nice to see another black metal fan! I totally understand, black metal is definitely at or near the top of preferred genres for me as well. Nothing else can capture both darkness and beauty that well, IMHO. Of course some of it is not so beautiful either! I see you enjoy Behemoth and Enslaved, yes they are interesting for sure, although I am not too experienced with them. I always have to mention Mgla, one of my favorite "newer" black metal groups, they have great appeal to fans of all kinds of black metal. Lately I have found myself listening to a lot of Goatwh0re (silly name obviously, haha), which I'm well aware are not really "black metal" so much as "blackened thrash/death", hahaha, but the riffs are just SO darn catchy, and I've long admired his guitar style. Of course I enjoy all types of metal, and recently had a phase where I was listening to a ton of Type O Negative (gothic metal/rock) then moved to listening to a ton of Nile (superfast technical death metal, I love fast blast beats, haha.) What do you think about "Depressive Black Metal"? (I just have to ask that of a black metal fan on a Depression forum, hahaha.)

I saw you had some Cocteau Twins in there, which I have been meaning to listen to more of them, but for some reason they make me want to mention Dead Can Dance, who I am sure has some fans on this forum! (Beautiful semi-gothic/"world" music which rose to fame in the 80s) 

@Lady Mozzer I began digging more into the Smiths more during the past year, and I can definitely appreciate the living legend that is Morrissey!

It is interesting how our musical tastes change over time. When I was young, I liked any kind of metal because it seemed rebellious and edgy, and now I look back with amused embarrassment at how bad some of that stuff was. I wish I were exposed to a wider variety of music because it seemed like music "stuck" better when I was young, or it was easier to enjoy, and I wish I had used that to build a wider foundation in jazz, classical, (classic, old school) country, basically anything and everything. 

Another problem I have as I get older, besides "new" music not "sticking" as easily, (meaning music that is new to me, not new in terms of time!) is the idea of separating the music from the musician. A lot of musicians are just total scumbags as people: narcissistic, drug abusing, cheat on their partners, abandon their children, etc. I would not want to know these people in real life! How can these horrible people understand and express the same emotions I feel? I don't want to be like them! I wish I could just write my own music instead! (Believe me, I've tried, but I just cannot force that creative impulse whatsoever!)

Many would argue, you've got to separate the art from the artists, MANY artists were horrible people who created beautiful, timeless art. And I can totally understand that. But I guess I don't WANT to separate the art from the artist, because I'm not sure how POSSIBLE that even is: art and music seems to represent something deep and profound from our souls. How CAN you separate that from the creator? 

I guess the point is, even deeply flawed people can still create beautiful things. I just wish they would express more of that beauty and goodness in their personal lives, haha. But of course, not ALL musicians are horrible scumbags, haha. 

Some other favorites include Leonard Cohen - many people here would probably appreciate his very poetic songs of love and longing and sadness, haha. Neil Young - he is a living legend in my mind, especially when he plays with Crazy Horse and does lengthy "jam" versions of his songs. Also I have begun to appreciate jazz a lot more as I have grown older, and would like to develop a deeper understanding there of all the various jazz genres.

Sorry, every post I write turns into a book! Anyone else feel free to share your music stories! I know we have several music threads already, but I like the "meta" approach/tone of this thread, hahaha.

Hi blackrider,

It's a pleasure reading a fellow enthusiast...well, being enthusiastic! :-)

Coming from me this is totally inconsistent (anhedonia vs. enthusiasm) and contradictory. But who cares? Music keeps me alive. full stop.

Yeah.. Looking back who I was at 18-20 I didn't really think much about what musicians were like in there personal lives. Nowadays I have to agree with you. Some of them are dodgy charecters indeed..

I've decided to" dig" the creations "dis" the creators. Works for me, anyhow..

Anyhow you mentioned Whitehouse and power electronics. Interesting stuff if intense and to be quite honest the nihilism of some of power electronics is too much even for me.

However, one of my favourite edm-producers, "Surgeon",integrated a few of Whitehouse's tracks into his set, giving it a dark tinge indeed. I love it when musicians do that. Cross-referencing each other, pastiches etc.

Dead Can Dance.. What can I say? I loved it since I heard them the first time about 20 years a go. Lisa Gerrard's beautiful, haunting voice.. Byzantinesque/orient- style music.. Definately up my street.

I've said elsewhere how stuff doesn't stick in my life. Not so with music. There are times when even...

Oh my g.. listening to Bbc 6, Henry Rollins just finished playing Joy Division.. Now the Cramps..Rockin Bones..

I was going to say there are times when even music can't get me out of this funk (pun intended). Not now though..

Haven't been here in a while.

I'm on an unsual non-pessimistic clear-cut high at the moment. Putting it to good use.. It never lasts..

Despite my penhant for the dark, heavy, riff-ridden likes of  Swans, Melvins, Godflesh, Electric Wizard..

I relish in jazz too. Listening to the divine Sarah Vaughan now. Can't  wait for "Black Coffee"..

I'm feeling mighty lonesome
Haven't slept a wink
I walk the floor and watch the door
And in between I drink
Black Coffee
Love's a hand me down brew
I'll never know a Sunday
In this weekday room..

I thought this thread I created was defunct..!

Happily I found it wasn't, so I decided it was time to breathe new life into it.

I thought of writing down the important songs of my life. That is when I'm not shrouded in Stygian murkiness.. I would be happy indeed if any one of you would do the same.

These will be songs/albums that I still listen to and have strong memories and emotions attached to them. Obviously some of them will be from my youth,, but some are more recent. Songs that suddenly pop into mind or you hear on the radio and suddenly you a whisked back into the past or anywhere else than where you are now. Songs that make you cry, laugh or think. Most of all though, songs that give you SHIVERS and perhaps make you feel good or even just a bit better, even if it's just for a moment.

I love music. Nuff said.

But here goes:

A couple of songs from the seminal punk rock band the Damned:

New Rose  

and

Machine gun Etiquette

Outstanding songs if you ask me! I get shivers just listening to them in my head! I can't remember the first time I heard them but it was in the early 1980's. At the time I was getting involved in punk but simultaneously  I was interested in electronic music too. 

I won't be writing crap about all the songs I like, btw. Perhaps a more appropriate approach would be "song of the day"

Well, two songs of the day today! :-)

I LOVE Steve Miller. His music makes me happy. I always considered it summer music lol. strange. 

One of my fave songs is Sound and Vision by David Bowie. I can listen to that all day long.

Music takes me away.Music is my life. I had set out to be a performer but realized my love of teaching children. The look on their faces when they have achieved something. the huge smiles on their faces as they vome up my driveway to my door. The A-ha moments when somethng clicks in their understanding....I could go on. i hear music almost all day.

and i love to sing.

Music - my true Love.

It will never fail me.

What you said, @Natasha1  about music  brought to mind an old Johnny Cash favourite of mine.

My song of the day:

Get the Rhythm

"Hey, get rhythm when you get the blues 
C'mon get rhythm, when you get the blues
A jumpy rhythm makes you feel so fine 
It'll shake all the troubles from your worried mind,
Get rhythm, when you get the blues"

Music has been a life saver for me.

I listen to ambient-electronic music. It puts me into a different state of mind. It's otherworldly. Right now I'm listening to Biosphere.

Vocal music -- the gothic R&B music of Cold Specks, the weird minimalism of FKA-Twigs, escapist beautiful music like the Cocteau Twins and Dead Can Dance, who I've seen 5 times live.

Sign in to follow this