Jump to content

Lorazepam (Ativan) Posts


Recommended Posts

  • 1 year later...

Ativan is wonder drug. It has worked beautifully well for me without causing addiction or other side effects. I can say I am alive because of Ativan. It has lower half life hence does not cause hangover. With doctor's advise, you can increase the dose if you have major bouts of anxiety.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Was searching the web for an answer to this question because it seems to be happening to me. Couldn't find much online, so I decided to post and see if anyone else is having this problem. I guess it makes sense, since ambien and ativan have similar mechanism/action profiles. 

 

I take .5 mg ativan three times a day, and then a 10 mg ambien at night to sleep. It seems like I'm developing a very, very fast tolerance to ambien. I've had problems with an ambien tolerance developing before, but usually a night or two without taking any sets my tolerance back to zero. My worry is that it only took 48 hours (or 3 mgs of ativan, if you want to look at it that way) for the ambien to not sedate me.

 

Has anyone else run into this problem? Having ativan lower the effectiveness of ambien, or even the other way around? Because right now, it feels like I'm going to have to choose one or the other. I guess I'm just wondering if I'm going to have to choose sleep over anxiety relief, or the other way around. I'm only on day three of this, and it already feels like if I keep taking both, neither are going to work effectively  =/

 

Thanks,

Carter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ambien (Zolpidem) is part of a family of drugs known as Z drugs. They are cross tolerant to benzos like Ativan. While they share some of the same tolerance, not 100% of the tolerance from one drug is carried over to another, some is lost.

Either try another class of sleep aids or another class of anti anxiety meds.

Edited by NC86
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What would be another class of anti anxiety drugs? Xanax is no good for me because even taking min dose I have massive memory loss. I was prescribed visteril which had no effect on the anxiety, just made me groggy as well as panicky. Just from some basic research, it seems like antihistamines or benzos are my only options for the anxiety attacks. and unfortunately, ambien is the only sleep aid my shrink will prescribe, even though I asked to try lunesta (that was a strange reaction from him...he acted like lunesta was a dirty word and said no without explaining himself.)

 

Anyway, thanks for the reply. Basically confirmed what I already knew...my only options are to take both and accept the fact that neither are going to be very effective, or choose one over the other and just live with the consequences of either anxiety or insomnia.

 

*sigh* if only medical m.j. were legal here....

Edited by carter_burn1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Last couple nights have been awful for sleep. I lay down and it feels like my heart starts pounding and everytime I drift off I am abruptly awoken from nothing. Already feeling some anxiety and depressive symptoms and feel that if I cannot sleep properly I may get worse over time. 

Comes to my question, has anybody used Ativan (Lorazepam) to help them sleep or deal with anxiety? This has happened to me about 3 years ago but I somehow got through it. Please share your stories and experiences. It helps a lot. 

 

Thank you very much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Mike44 :)

I don't advocate meds, I am more of a natural promoting guy.

I suggest trying magnesium. It allows for a smooth transmission of your nerves and induces relaxation and calmness. My aunt said it would knock her out and keep her knocked out the whole night. 

If you decide to try it do some research and make sure you get a high quality type like magnesium citrate and not magnesium oxide. Also I think you need to take calcium with it too to make sure it helps assimilate it. Check up on that too including the ratio to take with the magnesium. 

Check out this post. Use tool number 2. It will diffuse anxiety within minutes and help you relax when you feel tense. Please let me know how these work for you.

I have more tricks up my sleeve so if you want to know them feel free to write back and I will help you out as much as I can :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Magnesium taurate and glycinate contain no laxative properties so you can use those if you want.

In the post 5 powerful tools you can utilize all of them instead of only number 2. Kratom helps boost my mood or relax me if I need it, I have never had side effects from it. 

Do you have sleep apnea? Some people who have it severely awaken abruptly because they are having a hard time breathing in air and their body has to jolt them awake to be able to breathe again. It causes massive strain on the heart. If you're not sure record yourself at night to see if you are snoring really badly or you could go get a sleep study.

You said this happened 3 years ago but you got through it and this has only started occurring again recently the past few nights. Do you know what the trigger might be? Stress at work, or a change in diet or something at all different in your life recently? Sugar can cause bad depressive and anxiety symptoms (fruit is OK). Try and examine your life and see what might be causing it of late.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have no idea what the trigger is. I do not snore very loud and I do not believe it is sleep apnea. Work hasn't been stressful and I can't think of anything else that would have caused this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I just got diagnosed with "anxiety disorder" last month. I'm 22 Years old, Male, healthy and active. Last month I started experiencing chest pains followed by panic attacks thinking I was dying and Docs ran EKG and Thyroid tests and it came back negative. They Prescribed me Ativan. I take 1mg up to twice a day. I've never been on medication before but I'm pretty sure it's suppose to do something. But not these. I don't feel any different after i take them or at all for the rest of the day. I still have my chest pains and Panic attacks. Now I get heart flutters and a lump in my throat along with the panic. Except if I stop taking them I freak out because I'm not taking them and I'm scared I'll have an even worse panic attack so either way I panic.....I guess my point is why aren't these doing anything? 

Edited by Natasha1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I also take Ativan, for emergency purposes only.  However, if I take them too regularly, I become  way more sensitive to panic attacks and I need a higher dosage of lorazepam.  Be careful with this medication, they are very addictive and had to come off of.  I stopped taking them for a couple weeks and only take them if I am facing a confrontation or I have a legit panic attack.  I don't mean to frighten you, just please, please, do your research.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I actually try to use them for prevention sometimes more than only in crisis. If I take it before I am able to stay calm, but if I wait I feel like I need to take the bottle to calm down. Which is obviously not helpful to me, so preventative uses can be good.

Edited by Anony
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/6/2016 at 2:51 AM, Mike44 said:

Last couple nights have been awful for sleep. I lay down and it feels like my heart starts pounding and everytime I drift off I am abruptly awoken from nothing. Already feeling some anxiety and depressive symptoms and feel that if I cannot sleep properly I may get worse over time. 

Comes to my question, has anybody used Ativan (Lorazepam) to help them sleep or deal with anxiety? This has happened to me about 3 years ago but I somehow got through it. Please share your stories and experiences. It helps a lot. 

 

Thank you very much.

Hi I have almost experienced exactly what you described. I will be drifting off to sleep and suddenly I feel like my heart is fluttering and I have to wake up to calm myself.  It happens to me not often but when they do happen it's so scary. I take Lorazepam as well. It does help for the most part to calm myself and the panic attacks.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

I got given this pill. It kind of made me feel relaxed. I took 1mg. I took another as I was allowed and felt then kind of detached and odd. But I liked how that felt for some reason. It does help calm my heart rate which is good. But doesn’t help sleep much. 

Edited by thehope
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Doctor gave me 14 1mg pills last week since I have been hyperventilating for several days (coming up to 2 weeks now). I tried one before bed last week but didn't find it helped much. Today I tried a half-pill before breakfast. I am SO sleepy. I suppose I'm breathing less weird, though.

Just scared to get addicted to this stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Kogent5 said:

Doctor gave me 14 1mg pills last week since I have been hyperventilating for several days (coming up to 2 weeks now). I tried one before bed last week but didn't find it helped much. Today I tried a half-pill before breakfast. I am SO sleepy. I suppose I'm breathing less weird, though.

Just scared to get addicted to this stuff.

I had the SAME experience. I got 15 0.5mg as needed for severe anxiety. The first one did nothing. The second knocked me out for a half hour or so. I've only taken a few, but every one since has knocked me out for a little bit.

I'm scared, too. But I think that can be a good thing...to make you aware of the risks of taking it too much too often. It keeps you conscious of what you're doing.

I also have a non addictive anxiety med (hydroxyzine pamoate), which also makes me little sleepy, and is not AS potent, but does help when I need to take the edge off slightly. I take it way more often than lorazepam because I don't have to worry about it. Maybe you could also try for something like that, too? So you're not reliant on a benzo. Just a thought.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, velvetpuddles said:

I had the SAME experience. I got 15 0.5mg as needed for severe anxiety. The first one did nothing. The second knocked me out for a half hour or so. I've only taken a few, but every one since has knocked me out for a little bit.

I'm scared, too. But I think that can be a good thing...to make you aware of the risks of taking it too much too often. It keeps you conscious of what you're doing.

I also have a non addictive anxiety med (hydroxyzine pamoate), which also makes me little sleepy, and is not AS potent, but does help when I need to take the edge off slightly. I take it way more often than lorazepam because I don't have to worry about it. Maybe you could also try for something like that, too? So you're not reliant on a benzo. Just a thought.

I have been on zoloft twice for anxiety & depression but not on anything regular right now since I thought I'd been handling my anxiety pretty well lately. Some money issues popped up last week and suddenly I've forgotten how to breathe lol...I'm really hoping this is just my body in a temporary state of high anxiety.

I ended up taking a nap in the afternoon. I will probably not take a pill for a few days (at least until after my therapist appointment on Monday, see what she has to say).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Kogent5 said:

I have been on zoloft twice for anxiety & depression but not on anything regular right now since I thought I'd been handling my anxiety pretty well lately. Some money issues popped up last week and suddenly I've forgotten how to breathe lol...I'm really hoping this is just my body in a temporary state of high anxiety.

I ended up taking a nap in the afternoon. I will probably not take a pill for a few days (at least until after my therapist appointment on Monday, see what she has to say).

Haha, I get it. I often forget how to breathe, too.

Hang in there!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

I have major depression and anxiety, and while my .5 mg Ativan can lessen the anxiety, it gives me tiredness and sleepiness and flatness problems. It can actually make the depression worse. But I keep taking it because I get too anxious and panic stricken even 7-8 hours removed from my last dose. Would really like to get off the Ativan completely, but do not know how. 

Edited by MatthewPA
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/8/2011 at 1:14 AM, jamjar62 said:

I take 1 mg of Ativan in the morning and one in the late afternoon. I've noticed that about 20-30 minutes after I take it, I get a terrible stomach ache. It feels like I'm wearing a pair of pants that are waaay too tight.

Has anyone else had problems like this from Ativan?

Thanks,

Karen

Hi Karen,

I haven't had any stomach issues from it, but I know it has Lactose in. Have you been tested for lactose intolerance?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...