Sign in to follow this  
lp44

Nightmares are crippling

I have nightmares, typically where one of my family members is scolding me for a being a failure in life and a complete lazy bum; just saying I can relate.  Hope you feel better!!

Honestly I have this exact same problem right now, excessive dreaming and nightmares. Waking up multiple times a night and feeling anxious and irrational all the time. 

If anyone had experienced this, and saw a remission in dreams it would be the biggest relief to know that there is light at the end of this tunnel. 

As difficult as this all is dreams are doorways to your subconscious and are trying to inform you of where your struggles are and how to get past them.  Try to not see them as an enemy but as a messenger.  I spend a lot of time reflecting on mine and it is helping me sort things out.  They aren't easy or fun by any means and I do tire of the constant distress I feel during them but they really are very informative.  Unfortunately the only way to resolve our difficult feelings, thoughts and emotions is to bring them to our conscious mind and that can be painful but if we don't they stay festering in our subconscious wreaking havoc on our well being.  Dreams are a way to bring it all into focus but they can be cryptic and confusing and upsetting so it is natural to not want to experience them.  In the end, though they can't hurt you, if you are too troubled by them try to ask before you go to bed at night to not remember them.  Get up quickly and distract yourself right away so they fade as fast as possible.   

8 hours ago, RockoBoy said:

I have nightmares, typically where one of my family members is scolding me for a being a failure in life and a complete lazy bum; just saying I can relate.  Hope you feel better!!

This is a clear indication that there is shame around your worth and feeling not good enough.  Your value isn't based on some arbitrary accomplishment scale that quite frankly is impossible to reach in most instances.  If you can work through this defeating false belief that you are a failure the dreams will stop.

Just as the physical body gets rid of waste products daily perhaps some dreams do a similar function for our psyches.

Something to ponder maybe?

12 hours ago, RockoBoy said:

I have nightmares, typically where one of my family members is scolding me for a being a failure in life and a complete lazy bum; just saying I can relate.  Hope you feel better!

Thank you :)

So sorry you can relate. 

4 hours ago, Vividreamer said:

Honestly I have this exact same problem right now, excessive dreaming and nightmares. Waking up multiple times a night and feeling anxious and irrational all the time. 

If anyone had experienced this, and saw a remission in dreams it would be the biggest relief to know that there is light at the end of this tunnel. 

Thanks for your input.

I'm sorry you can relate too.

Sleep deprivation as a result of this is indeed pretty hard isn't it?

I hope you get some relief soon.

4 hours ago, Michelle38 said:

As difficult as this all is dreams are doorways to your subconscious and are trying to inform you of where your struggles are and how to get past them.  Try to not see them as an enemy but as a messenger.  I spend a lot of time reflecting on mine and it is helping me sort things out.  They aren't easy or fun by any means and I do tire of the constant distress I feel during them but they really are very informative.  Unfortunately the only way to resolve our difficult feelings, thoughts and emotions is to bring them to our conscious mind and that can be painful but if we don't they stay festering in our subconscious wreaking havoc on our well being.  Dreams are a way to bring it all into focus but they can be cryptic and confusing and upsetting so it is natural to not want to experience them.  In the end, though they can't hurt you, if you are too troubled by them try to ask before you go to bed at night to not remember them.  Get up quickly and distract yourself right away so they fade as fast as possible.   

Thank you Michelle. First I do believe what you are saying is true. I know often they are a means of bringing to the forefront things we need to deal with.

However, they are my enemy right now.... Made more intense by a med change.

I feel like I've done everything my therapist and Dr have asked me to do. 

I'm so weary. I feel like I'm reliving the abuse all over again every night. It takes me a while to shake it off when I wake up in the morning.

It's going to push me over the edge if it doesn't improve. 

Hopefully it will.

Thanks again

Hi IP,

I am recently having bouts of insomnia, and have been experiencing sleep paralysis for many years now. 

To the extent that I too feel scared to go to sleep. 

But you must remember it is ALL in your head. 

Can you have someone sleep beside you? Or have a pet maybe? Like a dog or a cat?

You can also have dim lights lit in your room at night while sleeping, and keep the door of your bedroom open. 

Have any idea what is causing these nightmares? My sleep disorders are mostly related to anxiety and stress, and also due to my poor sleeping habits. 

It may not be relevant but avoid watching too many youtube videos and movies, especially the ones which trigger stress, like surgical videos or horror movies. 

Have trust in yourself. Nightmares are no reason to give up on yourself; remember they do not exist, they are  just a twisted production of your brain, that remains there and only there. Letting it affect your real life is not sensible. 

1 hour ago, Cloudy888 said:

Hi IP,

I am recently having bouts of insomnia, and have been experiencing sleep paralysis for many years now. 

To the extent that I too feel scared to go to sleep. 

But you must remember it is ALL in your head. 

Can you have someone sleep beside you? Or have a pet maybe? Like a dog or a cat?

You can also have dim lights lit in your room at night while sleeping, and keep the door of your bedroom open. 

Have any idea what is causing these nightmares? My sleep disorders are mostly related to anxiety and stress, and also due to my poor sleeping habits. 

It may not be relevant but avoid watching too many youtube videos and movies, especially the ones which trigger stress, like surgical videos or horror movies. 

Have trust in yourself. Nightmares are no reason to give up on yourself; remember they do not exist, they are  just a twisted production of your brain, that remains there and only there. Letting it affect your real life is not sensible. 

Thank you for your input.

I should have clarified I suppose. These are more than dreams. About 80% are legitimate flashbacks of abuse. It's horrible. It's every night. I have zero control over this.

Sensible or not It's affecting every part of my life right now. I have no choice but to either just live it until it gets better or give up. It's not just a twisted production of my brain. It's my brain forcing me to relive something I don't want to.

Edited by lp44

15 minutes ago, Anony said:

Mirtazapine makes them even worse :( If I don't get up early I have continious horrible nightmares for hours now, and wake up late too disturbed to function.

That's precisely what I switched to. I was already having nightmares to begin with. How long have you been on it?

Edited by lp44

23 minutes ago, lp44 said:

That's precisely what I switched to. I was already having nightmares to begin with. How long have you been on it?

Just about four weeks it was added to my cymbalta to help with sleep, but at 7.5 I was so restless and waking up hurt so I had to go up to 30. It has gotten better since then I just have to be careful.

38 minutes ago, Anony said:

Just about four weeks it was added to my cymbalta to help with sleep, but at 7.5 I was so restless and waking up hurt so I had to go up to 30. It has gotten better since then I just have to be careful.

So four weeks in it still happens?

But not so much at 30?

1 hour ago, lp44 said:

Thank you for your input.

I should have clarified I suppose. These are more than dreams. About 80% are legitimate flashbacks of abuse. It's horrible. It's every night. I have zero control over this.

Sensible or not It's affecting every part of my life right now. I have no choice but to either just live it until it gets better or give up. It's not just a twisted production of my brain. It's my brain forcing me to relive something I don't want to.

That is a bit of a different more difficult animal than simple nightmares.  I would assume you are working with a therapist who specializes in ptsd and checked into the different types of therapy?  Just keep looking for ways to resolve it and how it has defined you and hopefully the dreams will lessen.  Keep reminding yourself that it is the past and it can't really hurt you anymore beyond emotional duress.  I don't have ptsd myself so I really don't have an experience to offer but sending you strength to get through this.  You are not what happened to you.  It happened to you not because of you.  What happened was wrong but it doesn't diminish your value.  Remind yourself that daily.  Hugs.

36 minutes ago, Michelle38 said:

That is a bit of a different more difficult animal than simple nightmares.  I would assume you are working with a therapist who specializes in ptsd and checked into the different types of therapy?  Just keep looking for ways to resolve it and how it has defined you and hopefully the dreams will lessen.  Keep reminding yourself that it is the past and it can't really hurt you anymore beyond emotional duress.  I don't have ptsd myself so I really don't have an experience to offer but sending you strength to get through this.  You are not what happened to you.  It happened to you not because of you.  What happened was wrong but it doesn't diminish your value.  Remind yourself that daily.  Hugs.

Thank you Michelle. You always give so much to people here.

Yes my therapist has lots of PTSD experience. She honestly is totally awesome.  I just feel like everything is spiraling so out of control.

It's hard to stay rational with what I know I must do vs just saying ok I'm done with everything.

Not sure I can hang with this med.

Thanks again

1 hour ago, lp44 said:

So four weeks in it still happens?

But not so much at 30?

Yes it was so bad I was hurting myself in my sleep to cope when I was at 7.5, but at 30 things have gotten better. It is a cymbalta side effect too though so that may have something to do with it as well.

2 hours ago, Anony said:

Yes it was so bad I was hurting myself in my sleep to cope when I was at 7.5, but at 30 things have gotten better. It is a cymbalta side effect too though so that may have something to do with it as well.

I'm so glad it's better for you now! :)

10 hours ago, Oscar K said:

Just as the physical body gets rid of waste products daily perhaps some dreams do a similar function for our psyches.

Something to ponder maybe?

Missed this one I think. Thank you.

That's a pretty decent thought actually. Makes sense.

But omg it should be gone already!! Lol

In all seriousness I do tend to have the same dream over and over.

I have reoccurring themes but never the same dream...usually I'm driving over a bridge then it starts to narrow and the walls on the side disappear so that if I make one false move I go over the edge. I always go over the edge but wake-up before hitting the ground/water.

I also have vivid dreams. As mentioned by a few people, dreams are sometimes connected to our subconscious. Are you currently or have you experienced this type of conflict with your family members. If so, then maybe your dreams are a reflection of that. if that is the case, facing the internal/subconscious conflict could help. Maybe some counseling or some good ole talking to someone you trust (with your feelings) about your feelings will help. Hope this helped. Blessings and positivety to you moving forward.

I have nightmares and have been waking up at 4 for one month and a half. until now, it's 2 am witj and ancestry, sleep at 4, semi sleep 4-6, get up for work at 7. 

I've had nothing but nightmares about all the things that make me depressed. it's emotional release. 

mostly its reliving the trauma and bringing up those hidden emotions to the surface it's horrible. I think it's depression and medication side effects.

posting online when I wake  up helps. even if no one reads or comments it is a good way to release even more emotions. you eventually get sleepy. 

..I'm sorry you're going through this too. :console:

9 hours ago, JasonDark said:

I have reoccurring themes but never the same dream...usually I'm driving over a bridge then it starts to narrow and the walls on the side disappear so that if I make one false move I go over the edge. I always go over the edge but wake-up before hitting the ground/water.

Bridges mean transition.  You are trying to change but you are trying to do it without getting into your emotions.  You have walls up against them because if they came down and you fell into them it would feel like death to you.  This is fairly common for sensitive people and people who have suppressed and denied their emotions their whole life.  The more we suppress them the bigger they get to the point of overwhelm.  If you have a therapist maybe disucss how you can open up to your emotions in a safe environment.  Maybe gain some tools or tricks you can use to manage them when they want to come spilling out.  Mindfulness is a pretty good tool.  You might want to check into it.  Take care.