I no longer enjoy hobbies and activities that I used to enjoy.

Ixeua

It's disturbing. it's been months since I have participated in any of my hobbies. I now find no joy in them whatsoever. "Forcing" myself to just do them and hope something will turn on doesn't work. I feel so listless and uncaring about my goals. Have any of you felt this way? I can't seem to get any joy from my old hobbies anymore. They no longer seem fulfilling. I want to enjoy them again but I can't.

Depression is an enjoyment killer. I feel like that's how i know when I've crossed over from just being down to full blown depression. I used to love listening to music, thinking about interesting things, reading, deconstructing things...so hard when you can't be in the moment/are in the grips of depression/anxiety.

Struggling with the same issue, the mental energy just isn't there. I used to love to play guitar, do art, read, now I just kind find the enthusiasm I once had to pour myself into those things. Depression just robs you, a terrible affliction.

I've lost a lot over the years.  I used to be a real competitive gamer.  A lot of the music I used to listen to I no longer can.  At first I was confused to what was going on, losing interest in things.  I guess a big part of me just accepted it and didn't give much thought to it.  I have slowly been taking some things back.  I've really been focused on recovering.  I am sure that many people can relate to this topic.  Just keep fighting guys.  Depression, along with other forces, are trying their best to destroy me, to destroy my identity.  There's not much more they can take, there isn't much more they can do to me.  Which makes it easier for me, there is only way to go from here.

Yes...still trying to get interests back; it sucks!!!  I do try to pretend though and keep doing things that I should/or at one time found enjoyable.  Every so often, I do get a positive result, though it seems short lasting; many other times though, it's like why I am even trying...you know...what's the point?  I understand your frustration.  Hang in there and hope you feel better!!

12 hours ago, Ixeua said:

It's disturbing. it's been months since I have participated in any of my hobbies. I now find no joy in them whatsoever. "Forcing" myself to just do them and hope something will turn on doesn't work. I feel so listless and uncaring about my goals. Have any of you felt this way? I can't seem to get any joy from my old hobbies anymore. They no longer seem fulfilling. I want to enjoy them again but I can't.

Yes, that's very true for me too. Like cooking or drawing or sewing....they all take too much concentration. Getting out in the forest still feels good...the sights, sounds and smell of it. But in general, i'm a zombie! 

Hello, Ixeua!  I’m so sorry you feel this way.  I’ll be praying that God will provide comfort, strength and guidance to you in the days ahead. 

Have you considered counseling/medication for your situation?  Another practical step would be to look for things to do to keep your mind off your negative feelings.  Physical exercise has the added benefit of helping to relieve negative emotions naturally, too.  Also, you might find these links helpful: http://bit.ly/1QqfUvc and http://bit.ly/21BDeRp.  Hang in there!

18 hours ago, Ixeua said:

Yes, I have been feeling this way much more recently. Whenever I enter into this state, I try to remember my passion for it, force myself to feel it again, get a spark or two of motivation which will unfortunately die down. Like you, I do want to achieve stuff, but the drive is switched off temporarily and I'm still figuring how to start it up again. Don't dwell on the fact that you don't seem to be enjoying the hobbies you're supposed to enjoy, but believe instead, that the passion will soon return, especially if the stuff you do means a lot to you. For now you could take a break from your hobbies, and explore other areas of interest you'd never have thought of before? Who knows, you may take a liking to other things! Before you know it, your list of hobbies will have grown. :) 

• 3 months later...

I have been on medication (Zoloft) for some time already. It has done wonders and helped me function a bit more peacefully in life with less disturbing thoughts.

But I do not know why I can no longer feel joy with my old hobbies and passions. I used to have so many goals I have all but given up pursuing which disturbs me since that is unlike the real me.

Trying to get back to my old hobbies or anything new does not give me joy anymore. I just cannot get any satisfaction with what I do anymore. I just don't seem to care about anything (even if the treatment has been working quite well).