What is responsible for your depression?

For me it's my over overreacting amygdala that hijacks my emotions and turns them into negative and false feelings...we need new meds that target the amygdala receptors to calm them.

Want to be fearless? Get rid of amygdala neurons in the brain

Arachnophobia was completely and instantly cured in a 44-year old man, during brain surgery to control violent seizures. Before the surgery, the man was terrified of spiders, a fear which completely disappeared after a small part of his brain was removed by doctors.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/19283/20141101/want-to-be-fearless-get-rid-of-amygdala-neurons-in-the-brain.htm

During the early beginnings of life, nature developed the amygdala as a defense response mechanism for animals.

Details of the bundled network of neurons.

The insulae, the seat of social emotions sends pain messages to the amygdala, in response to social failures.

The pattern recognition responses of the amygdala are incredibly subtle.

A phenomenon, LTP grants a lifelong memory to the amygdala.

The amygdala support the recognition of emotions in others.

The amygdala draw your attention to emotionally significant signals.

The prefrontal regions have powerful inhibitory circuits, which quiet the amygdala.

The amygdala contribute significantly to anger, fear, grief, envy and jealousy.

http://www.effective-mind-control.com/amygdala.html

I'm sure there are reasons that keep my depression alive.  I feel like my anger can give me power, but if I get too angry it can lead to depressed feelings.  Thinking about the past, at all.   If I really think about it, I feel like my depression is almost a reaction to the life I have lived.  So maybe the easiest answer is pain that I endure.  A good topic, I always say that it is actually incredibly hard to get in touch with real feelings.

situational surprisingly- getting psychologically and emotionally mistreated in my relationships that occurred over the last 3 years. I've been a pawn in deadbeats' lives- who like to use people to feel better. at least I can recognize it. never again!  I can grow and become a better person with more self esteem. though it is crap being alone. 

14 hours ago, glfinding said:

I'm sure there are reasons that keep my depression alive.  I feel like my anger can give me power, but if I get too angry it can lead to depressed feelings.  Thinking about the past, at all.   If I really think about it, I feel like my depression is almost a reaction to the life I have lived.  So maybe the easiest answer is pain that I endure.  A good topic, I always say that it is actually incredibly hard to get in touch with real feelings.

you're right on the money.. I feel like we tend to reflect deeper than the "normal" person and our brains absorb too much emotion and doesnt easily let it go. it's like when you pour water over a thin napkin.. and you see the water spread quickly. 

my past is bad.. and it's true, you think, you dwell, and then all those terrible feelings come through like a broken dam. sadly, they've bled into my dreams and I wake up to nightmares that F with my emotions the entire day. 

Edited by ejc

toxic family social isolation feeling like a outcast my whole life.I am probaly more sensative then most people so it probaly effected me to much.I think targeting the amglyda would help,I think thats what benzos and alchohol does to bad there very addictive and bad for your health.

Edited by scienceguy

I'm certain I had some disposition towards developing full-blown major depression, before it occurred.  However, certain important factors in my life at the time (15 or so years ago now did not go as I had envisioned) triggered the first major episode and it's been an issue since, sometimes worse, sometimes a little better.  I've never recovered to baseline though...

• 2 weeks later...

Existential angst. Weltschmerz. The Void.

Yup. I read a lot. Perhaps too much. Too much going on in my head and not enough outlets.

Most of my questions begin with the word Why.

Probably just the way I'm hardwired that makes me depressed.

Oh, and I'm not particularly sociable.

I feel alone most of the time.

I studied graphic design. I couldn't find any full-time work in my field, so it was my responsability to find interest in something else. I've become so much more open-mided to many different things and I ended up finding interest in pumping barrels and shelfing workload supplies.

So what happened next? My new hobby ended quickly and now I just wash other people's dusty dirt down to the very last spot until my mind can't take it anymore. And I had the genius idea of numbing myself until things became more interesting. So what did they do? They pressured me to multi-task more than one crappy thing at once and I was given a horrible schedule. I was lied to about my hours and neglected when my efforts were causing disruptance. Basically, I am set up for failure each and every day. This are only some of the inconviniences of working in a position driven by greedy managers and in which I am treated like crap for the most part because of my "inability to smile and my lack of witty vocabulary".

I'm a slob by nature at home. So maybe cleaning isn't my forte. That's what I used to think, until I realized some ultra-clean cleaning staff also have a hard time regularly. Some of them complain more than I do, despite me claiming to hate my job a lot more.

Edited by The_Unwanted

On 16/5/2016 at 1:23 PM, SenorDomino said:

Childhood abuse, bullying, lost friends, lost love, the knowledge that I screwed up what could have been an amazing future, loneliness and just how terrible the world is in general.

exactly the way I feel.

and endless collection of what may have beens.

The situational aspect of mine is how it was handled not the cause. My horrible experiences with councelling before I became bad enough to need them is a huge factor in my recovery. There isn't an ideal day that would 'make me happy' though and I resent people who think it works that way. My family actually acuses me of 'Not being happy' about news if I am not happy in general. Also having a bad day off meds mean I need to go back on them and having a bad day on them means I need to stop taking them immediately according to them.

Edited by Anony

Started with bad things happening to me as a teenager. Then panic attacks and PTSD came. Then black out drinking came. However, my grandmother, mother, and I'm sure more relatives than I know all battled with it, and take prozac. I don't take any meds anymore though. After having kids, post-partum depression and anxiety attacks came like crazy. I think part of it is genetic, hormonal, and also life-circumstances have affected my depression/anxiety.

Bullying at school for 10 years, stress with teachers, stress with parents, doing something I shouldn't have which had MASSIVE consequences though it was over exaggerated heavily and genes since my mum has a chemical imbalance in her brain which I too share which combines it into the 'fun little package' which is my depression.

2 hours ago, Atron said:

Bullying at school for 10 years, stress with teachers, stress with parents, doing something I shouldn't have which had MASSIVE consequences though it was over exaggerated heavily and genes since my mum has a chemical imbalance in her brain which I too share which combines it into the 'fun little package' which is my depression.

What was it that you did wrong?

Also, the chemical imbalance sounds similar to my mother, which is why I always think she has BPD.

As for me, it was the same: Bullying for 10+ years, abuse and stress from teachers, peers, and family, etc. Bad Grades, lack of friends and lacking skills, especially social ones, were also an issue for me. Suicide also played a role. I developed suicidal thoughts at ages 10-12 and even attempted suicide 3 times. One during Sophomore year of High school, one during Junior year of high school, and one during Senior year of High School. I even attempted self harm and I also failed at that, along with the suicide attempts because I'm such a failure. I stopped attempting after that, so that's a start.

It seems that mental disorders and abuse run in my family, because of things like OCD, Bipolar disorder, BPD, and Depression. In fact, I must've inherited my depression from my mother, because she too was also abused by her mother who lashed her anger out on her.

5 hours ago, Corbin said:

What was it that you did wrong?

Also, the chemical imbalance sounds similar to my mother, which is why I always think she has BPD.

As for me, it was the same: Bullying for 10+ years, abuse and stress from teachers, peers, and family, etc. Bad Grades, lack of friends and lacking skills, especially social ones, were also an issue for me. Suicide also played a role. I developed suicidal thoughts at ages 10-12 and even attempted suicide 3 times. One during Sophomore year of High school, one during Junior year of high school, and one during Senior year of High School. I even attempted self harm and I also failed at that, along with the suicide attempts because I'm such a failure. I stopped attempting after that, so that's a start.

It seems that mental disorders and abuse run in my family, because of things like OCD, Bipolar disorder, BPD, and Depression. In fact, I must've inherited my depression from my mother, because she too was also abused by her mother who lashed her anger out on her.

I mentioned what I did wrong in an early post, I started talking to and getting close to a girl who was a little too young for me. My family found out and the end result was me nearly being kicked out the house and my £1000 PC in bits with an axe and hosepipe responsible.

11 hours ago, Atron said:

I mentioned what I did wrong in an early post, I started talking to and getting close to a girl who was a little too young for me. My family found out and the end result was me nearly being kicked out the house and my £1000 PC in bits with an axe and hosepipe responsible.

Oh yeah, that's what I forgot. I'm sorry about bringing up the subject.

It feels pathetic and makes me sick to think of all the influences doing whatever they can to make sure we do not live for what we value and believe in. Sometimes we aren't designed for a certain something. But yet some people still feel inclined that we should like what they tell us to like, and it's our fault if we don't adapt to their standards. Even in 2016, some people are still using this control tactic on others.

Chemically, it's a lack of serotonin. That's why my doc prescribed an SSRI to treat the depression.

Psychologically, I have an intense dislike of myself. I don't feel like I belong in this universe. I don't "fit".

On 5/19/2016 at 4:04 PM, The_Unwanted said:

It feels pathetic and makes me sick to think of all the influences doing whatever they can to make sure we do not live for what we value and believe in. Sometimes we aren't designed for a certain something. But yet some people still feel inclined that we should like what they tell us to like, and it's our fault if we don't adapt to their standards. Even in 2016, some people are still using this control tactic on others.

Yes. I've been ranting about our "society's" values for decades. Grab everything you can and try to stop others from grabbing stuff. Competition, rather than cooperation. Money and good looks define a successful person, not how they treat others or the good things they do.