Sign in to follow this  
jballan

I'm done

I just emailed my doctor that I'm done with therapy and to remove me from her calendar. I had been seeing her 2x per week for 2.5 years. I'm not sure what to do now. I can't try another therapist, I just refuse to let myself get set up to be let down again. I feel pretty hopeless. 

She just doesn't understand me that well. I am constantly having to explain everything. I also don't feel like she listens to me. She is a great doctor though, she has visited me at home, in the hospital, and is always on call. When I get suicidal she calls me everyday until I am doing better. I know doctors like this just don't exist, I know she really cares. I just get so angry after sessions and feel misunderstood. I can't take it. 

Have you told her this? I'm on hiatus with my therapist and need to find a new one. Sometimes you need a change. 2 times a week for 2.5 years is a lot of sessions. I always regret leaving my therapist w/o having another one though as many times its helping and I didn't realize it.

Yes I have told her many times about my concerns, she always talks me into staying. I too regret leaving therapists when I don't have another one lined up. I had a great doctor but he retired, and I can't help but hold my expectations to get someone like him. I feel really horrible leaving such a good doctor, who really cares! I just don't know what I am getting out of therapy. I'm pretty sure she will contact me, I don't know what to do in that situation. I'm sorry you are in hiatus with your therapist that can be really difficult. Finding a new therapist is not a desirable task! 

3 hours ago, jballan said:

I just emailed my doctor that I'm done with therapy and to remove me from her calendar. I had been seeing her 2x per week for 2.5 years. I'm not sure what to do now. I can't try another therapist, I just refuse to let myself get set up to be let down again. I feel pretty hopeless. 

sorry you're going through this. how come it didn't work out with the therapist? 

what about support groups? posting here provides some relief. 

It's just too hard, too much. I get so stressed after sessions, I don't think it's worth it. Now I am feeling really hopeless about things. To think I lost that great support I had. 

3 hours ago, jballan said:

It's just too hard, too much. I get so stressed after sessions, I don't think it's worth it. Now I am feeling really hopeless about things. To think I lost that great support I had. 

hmm... well it's ok to find a new therapist if you feel the current one isn't effective. there's nothing wrong that . 

Edited by ejc

Hi jballan :)

I know it shouldn't be hard to find compassionate people in the therapy industry but it can be sometimes. When I first started seeing therapists in high school I felt the same way like they couldn't understand me. They are out there so don't give up. I know several years ago when I was utterly desperate for help I had to go through many practitioners who never really cared about me until I found the right one. When you find the right one your intuition will let you know. You will get good at weeding out the dis-compassionate ones lol.

Even though she was very good to you after 2.5 years if you're still not quite getting what you need then perhaps you made the right decision to move forward. Don't feel hopeless bud, everything always works out. You are gonna find the help you need one way or another. In the meantime we're here to help you if you ever feel like opening up. I am sure with all our combined experience we can help you out in some way, shape or form or at the very least you have a place to vent and receive encouragement :)