Mahi

What helps you concentrate?

I'm in 8th grade (skipping to 10th next year) and I have a lot of schoolwork right now; standardized testing just started and won't be ending anytime soon as well.

But I'm worried because I can't seem to concentrate. My feelings of depression waste minutes and hours, and I'm kind of lost.

I really need to concentrate on my schoolwork, but how can I avoid these feelings/thoughts? 

Any help would be appreciated!

It is not unusual to feel lost when depressed. I guess it's good to remember it is metaphorically lost.

Perhaps it could help if you never lose sight of your ENTRANCE/EXIT of your depression/cave.

Maybe others have some helpful hints.

1 hour ago, whatgoingon said:

mental or physiological problem?

taurine may help

avoid stimulants

sleep well?

green tea also could help calm the mind

I'd say it's more of a psychological problem.

Thanks for your suggestions!

2 hours ago, Teddy545 said:

This is really hard to deal with, I even have problems watching tv.  I just keep redirecting my thoughts. When I notice that I'm thinking about something depressing I redirect my focus onto what I was doing again.  It's a good thing to do all of the time though, not just when you are doing homework.  You can't get rid of your feelings, only your thoughts.  I've also heard that if you write the thoughts down it might help because if they are on paper you don't have to keep thinking about them so much. 

That sounds like it could work, thanks so much!

hmm.. perhaps break the work down into smaller pieces and just baby step it. do a few problems , take a break, do a few more take another break or reward yourself with a snack.

i normally have a cup of coffee or tea or a iced chai or something right there as I work, so if I get anxious I'll just sip. I feel like I have to be doing something in addition to work.

Concentrating while having depressed thoughts is tricky. Sometimes people recommend listening to music while studying that way you are somewhat distracted already by the music so you won't be tempted to be distracted by your thoughts. I think the type of music you listen to makes a difference. I cannot listen to slow or quiet music because then I still get distracted by my thoughts. I have to listen to really loud and distracting music. I think I listen to A Day to Remember or All Time Low. Other times I listen to gospel music! You just have to find something that works for you! 

Hope this helps! 

Hands down: mindfulness.

Pay attention to your surroundings, be completely immersed in all your senses and switch off your thoughts for a few minutes. Then come back to what you're doing, open a notepad or notepad.exe, let out everything on your mind, cook up a strategy of what you need to do. Then get a cup of tea/coffee/beverage of your choice. Stick on some music and go at it :P

I have this problem too, intrusive thoughts etc.

I find that when I put a timer for 10-15 minutes... and promise to completely focus on the work for that amount of time, and then I let myself get up, take a break, switch my mind to other thoughts, that I end up getting it done eventually with minimal suffering.