Online Therapy

SFChristianGirl

Hi everyone.

I've decided to try online therapy to help me with my dental phobia and anxiety.  I'm not really sure what to expect, as I've never tried it before.

I'm hopeful that it will help.  I'm also glad that I'm now working with a new dentist who is compassionate and gentle.  He understands what I'm going through with my phobia and anxiety and he's very patient with me.  I hope in time we will build a trusting relationship.  Right now I'm having a hard time trusting him due to my past bad experiences with other dentists.  I want to trust him, but something in my mind is holding me back.

I'm wondering if anyone on here has ever tried online therapy and how it worked for them.

The site I'm using is a not real time messaging site where you can leave messages/posts any time of day or night for your therapist and they can reply back to you whenever they're able to.  They try to reply back as soon as possible and don't usually go more than 24 hours without replying.

There is also options for phone call sessions or video chat sessions for an extra fee.  I don't feel comfortable with these and I'll only be using the messaging feature.

The nice thing is that the first week (7 days) are free.  There is no limit to how many times you and your therapist can talk during the day or week.

I'm hopeful, but nervous about this.

Anyone who has input on this please share.

Thank you.

JJ

I skyped with a Psychiatrist once, once.

The best I can offer you is "it depends," on the counselor's skill, your level of commitment, etc. My therapist can tell that I'm off from a voice mail message I've left for her. My current psychiatrist can see my level of depression simply by looking at my eyes. I have a LOT of old, childhood trauma and have flummoxed countless other healthcare providers for decades. My point is, give it a try and see if it helps. If it doesn't, TRY AGAIN. And keep trying until someone can help you, you're worth it!

• 2 weeks later...

You may be able to get a better answer on a forum that is dedicated to people who talk about their therapy, therapists, and therapy experience. I know that many on that forum use the more traditional style of face to face, but most of them on that forum are very responsive to posts and may be able to help you. If you google "Therapy forums" the name of the forum should come up. I am not affiliated, or associated with them, this is just from my experience with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I just want to say thank you to all of you for your support. I don't know what I'd do without this forum and all of you here to support me.

I'm healing well from the gum surgery. It's been 6 days since the surgery and I'm feeling better. The stitches fell out in day 3. The surgical site looks much better than it did.

I'm sorry I haven't been on much recently. I did intend to post more as I was healing.

I'm feeling really emotional right now. I feel out of sorts. A lot has been happening with me lately besides my dental appointments and such.

I don't know if I've mentioned previously, but I deal with chronic pain. My back (especially lower back), my knees (both) and my neck are areas where I experience chronic pain. I have times where it won't bother me at all or will be minimal and other times where I'll have an episode of severe chronic pain.

Recently I'm having an episode of severe chronic pain. I discussed this with my therapist, who says anxiety, stress and pain and are all related to each other. So, with all this dental stuff I've been dealing with recently, it triggered my anxiety which in turn triggered the pain. What a wonderful cycle.

My anxiety is low in relation to dental things currently, but for some reason I have this nagging overall general anxiety now. Who knows, maybe they are related. I haven't been able to identify a trigger though.

My back is hurting me to the point that I sought out the services of a massage therapist. I've gone twice in 3 weeks now, because the pain is so bad. The massage really helps me. It not only reduces my pain, but it also helps with my anxiety. This is a new practitioner that I'm seeing now and she is excellent and has reasonable rates, unlike most people in my area. After a session with her I feel better for about a week before the symptoms get bad again. I'm going to see her regularly for awhile until I can get the pain under control.

I'm rather frustrated with my psychotherapy right now. After several weeks of feeling like I was making progress, I now feel like I'm stuck. I'm not moving forward. In fact I feel like things are repeating now and I don't know what to do about it. I already wrote my therapist today to get her views on this, but I'm waiting to hear back.

So, right now I'm just feeling frustrated and emotional.

JJ

I think a lot is happening with you right now. With the dental phobia, the healing from surgery, and the chronic pain. It would  make sense that your therapy might be affected also. Maybe things need to just settle down a bit and then your therapy will get back on track.

I hope that things heal quickly and peacefully for you. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I just started doing online therapy today. I think it is from the same site as SFChristianGirl. I have seven free days and can talk as much as I want.

My therapist is trained in "Gestalt" therapy, which I have never heard of before. I am used to CBT, which I didn't find very effective. I hope this new method helps me more and gets me to look closer at my problems than I have ever had before. I am just happy to be trying. My first post I sent to them is probably the best description of my life I have ever given to a therapist. Now, it just depends on whether or not the therapist understands what I am saying. That is always the hardest thing.

Now that I have tried online therapy for a few days, I can say it is going to help me somewhat. It is text based, and I can send a message whenever I want. Because of that, whenever I have an important thing I want to share, I can type it out and send it whenever I want. This allows me to explain new things I never could before, because I would always forget what it was that was bothering me. I did not have that advantage before. I want to keep revealing more personal issues as they come up.

• 2 weeks later...

I have ended online therapy quicker than I thought I would. My therapist is concerned that I have severe depression and suicidal ideation. He told me that I have to receive direct help as soon as possible to begin counteracting patterns of despair. I admitted to him as much as I could, but when I had a very bad day, he told me he was very concerned with me. I am clinically at risk.