Online Therapy

Hi everyone.

I've decided to try online therapy to help me with my dental phobia and anxiety.  I'm not really sure what to expect, as I've never tried it before.

I'm hopeful that it will help.  I'm also glad that I'm now working with a new dentist who is compassionate and gentle.  He understands what I'm going through with my phobia and anxiety and he's very patient with me.  I hope in time we will build a trusting relationship.  Right now I'm having a hard time trusting him due to my past bad experiences with other dentists.  I want to trust him, but something in my mind is holding me back.

I'm wondering if anyone on here has ever tried online therapy and how it worked for them.

The site I'm using is a not real time messaging site where you can leave messages/posts any time of day or night for your therapist and they can reply back to you whenever they're able to.  They try to reply back as soon as possible and don't usually go more than 24 hours without replying.

There is also options for phone call sessions or video chat sessions for an extra fee.  I don't feel comfortable with these and I'll only be using the messaging feature.

The nice thing is that the first week (7 days) are free.  There is no limit to how many times you and your therapist can talk during the day or week.

I'm hopeful, but nervous about this.

Anyone who has input on this please share.

Thank you.

JJ

i did online therapy years ago. I liked being able to think about what i wanted to write and sending an email into the therapist. i wasnt good with one on one in person therapy. Online was more comfortable for me. Im sure it would of helped me however it was so incredibly expensive and insurance doesnt recognize it at all, that I really only got 3-4 "back and forth" responses before my money ran out.

i think its pretty great for those of us who are shy but ive been told by others (outside friends) that it wouldnt be beneficial cause im hiding behind a screen. i dont know, i guess we will never know who was right and who was wrong.

good luck!

Well, it's worth a try. Right now I have a phone relationship with a life coach....30 minutes a week. This is more convenient than going to a counselor's office, especially cuz we talk in the evening. Her assignments have been helpful. The best exercise so far was writing down 10 answers a day to the question "what's good about me?" I came up with really basic stuff (i like to laugh, i'm a good listener), but still, it lifted up my self worth.

19 hours ago, allalone6 said:

i did online therapy years ago. I liked being able to think about what i wanted to write and sending an email into the therapist. i wasnt good with one on one in person therapy. Online was more comfortable for me. Im sure it would of helped me however it was so incredibly expensive and insurance doesnt recognize it at all, that I really only got 3-4 "back and forth" responses before my money ran out.

i think its pretty great for those of us who are shy but ive been told by others (outside friends) that it wouldnt be beneficial cause im hiding behind a screen. i dont know, i guess we will never know who was right and who was wrong.

good luck!

Hi allalone6.

Thank you for your reply.  It sounds like it would've helped if it weren't for finances.  Thank you for sharing.

JJ

13 hours ago, long journey said:

Well, it's worth a try. Right now I have a phone relationship with a life coach....30 minutes a week. This is more convenient than going to a counselor's office, especially cuz we talk in the evening. Her assignments have been helpful. The best exercise so far was writing down 10 answers a day to the question "what's good about me?" I came up with really basic stuff (i like to laugh, i'm a good listener), but still, it lifted up my self worth.

Hi Long Journey.

Thank you for your reply and support.  I thought about that, but it's hard for me to talk on the phone for this, as I don't have a private place to do it.  I'm really enjoying this so far as I can write to her whenever I think of something and we can talk as little or as much during the day as we want.  It's really helpful, because at this point I really need a lot of extra support and guidance.

Thanks.

JJ

If you have dental phobia and anxiety, one method to be used is 'Systematic desensitization'. Google that and see if you think that is something for you. You might also be helped by "Guided imagination". One-line therapy might be less expensive than therapy face to face in the same room. Sheck out what your  insurance company  will cover. If it was me who sought on-line therapy I would have preferred Skype therapy so I could see the therapist. If that is not something that you find OK now when you have thought about it, may be it's well worth going to an ordinary therapy. (It might be difficult to work with phobia without a therapist).

All the best!

Rose

On April 26, 2016 at 9:01 PM, SFChristianGirl said:

Hi everyone.

I've decided to try online therapy to help me with my dental phobia and anxiety.  I'm not really sure what to expect, as I've never tried it before.

I'm hopeful that it will help.  I'm also glad that I'm now working with a new dentist who is compassionate and gentle.  He understands what I'm going through with my phobia and anxiety and he's very patient with me.  I hope in time we will build a trusting relationship.  Right now I'm having a hard time trusting him due to my past bad experiences with other dentists.  I want to trust him, but something in my mind is holding me back.

I'm wondering if anyone on here has ever tried online therapy and how it worked for them.

The site I'm using is a not real time messaging site where you can leave messages/posts any time of day or night for your therapist and they can reply back to you whenever they're able to.  They try to reply back as soon as possible and don't usually go more than 24 hours without replying.

There is also options for phone call sessions or video chat sessions for an extra fee.  I don't feel comfortable with these and I'll only be using the messaging feature.

The nice thing is that the first week (7 days) are free.  There is no limit to how many times you and your therapist can talk during the day or week.

I'm hopeful, but nervous about this.

Anyone who has input on this please share.

Thank you.

JJ

have you tried 7cups? it's free... Duck has tried it, you'll see him a lot on these forums. he's very nice. I think he posted once that he used 7cups.