How do you get through the morning?

moistnutella

I suspect the majority of people detest mornings but I have inkling it's amplified several magnitudes with depressive/anxious disorders.

For me, mornings are much harder than the evenings; I can fall asleep optimistic about the next day - only to have my reset switch flicked and wake up struggling; my mood will be more coloured, physiologically I'll feel like poop. Trapped, agitated, overwhelmed and deeply, uncontrollably pessimistic are good descriptors. It's like wearing tinted glasses. What makes this process easier is knowing the mornings will be worse; my mind clears a fair bit by about mid-day and things impossible to tackle become those I more logically respond to. Until then I take those first four hours as they come, stick on some TV, have a cuppa and accept that the feelings are somewhat uncontrollable, chaotic, attention-consuming and noisy.

But is there any way I can make this process easier?

I have a good idea that it will largely be down to cortisol.

Edited by moistnutella

Wow...I could have written your post.  I'm new here too and my anxiety/depression is always worse in the mornings.  Like you, I go to bed optimistic about the next day only to wake up feeling drained and stressed.  I've tried a few things...meditation before bed and another short one right when I wake up does help a bit.  I even bought a slow waking alarm clock that simulates the sunrise and wakes me up to birds chirping or thunderstorms rather than a typical alarm clock sound.  It also helps a bit, but nothing has worked 100% yet.  I think cortisol has a lot to do with it.  What helps me the most is a good cardio workout before bed and a handful of supplements in the morning!  I'm also using bio-identical hormones and I dose myself in the morning...but that's not for everyone.  I've just found that my hormone levels have a lot to do with my anxiety/depression. 

I wish I could help more!  (((HUGS))) and good luck!

Spoiler

I think I hate mornings and evenings about the same.....I have trouble to fall sleep and it is the worst.

Waking up mmm I dont like it, I dont like to face reallity. I wish to stay in bed all day, but my job keeps me going. At first (of this last depression breakdown) it was extremenly hard to wake up...I was arriving late almost everyday. But then I realized how weekends were even worse because I was not busy. So now I "enjoy" waking up during the week. Keeps my mind busy.

I am also on meds but to handle sleeping...

You mention you go to bed feeling optimistic? That doesn't sound to bad. I can't feel that way.

Btw, you mention that afterwaking up you just watch tv and have a cuppa. Sorry to ask but do you work from home, are you retired, are you looking for a job.....sorry If I am rude. I am just wondering as my "job" is the only thing I have control on now.

Blessings and good luck

I've heard some people (who have serious morning depressive issues) have had success with antidepressants that you take before bed.  Obviously, anything you take in the morning will need a couple hours to reach peak plasma concentration, so perhaps a before-bed anti-depressant might help to take the edge off in the morning?

I don't deal well with mornings and haven't had to make much of an effort in recent time (don't have a full-time job and not for lack of applying either).  Like many of you above, I'm pretty unsociable and miserable for a good few hours and even then...that doesn't mean the rest of the day is not full of some type/level of fatigue, depression...Don't have an answer for you.  It's scary, because I know in order to really support myself (at least independently), I need a full-time job, but the chronic depression/anxiety makes me wonder if that will ever be possible.  Hope everyone feels better!!

I dread mornings... anxiety attack on top of depression. I read deep breathing helps. tried it, didn't work for me. I would wake up 2 hours before I had to in a panic. it was excruciating and it pretty much decreased as soon as I made myself get up.

xanax works well to stop the attacks, but as always, u need a prescription. I ended up posting my feelings & it keep me occupied during those 2 hours. 

• Fix your sleep routines: Do you work or study? If you do, most of your activities should be within the day-hours, between 8am and 7pm. Sleep time-tables get affected adversely especially during times when people limit themselves to staying at home, give in excessively to the electronic world, and simply not doing anything. Therefore if you have the activities planned for the day, keep your sleep schedule like this: wake up time could be 6am, going to bed time could be 10pm. And stick to this schedule everyday. Once you have a good sleep schedule, and be well rested, you shud be able to feel better in the mornings. 
  • Reduce brooding: You feel better at nights right, when you anticipate your next day? But cannot live up to your anticipations when you are finally awake to face the next day. Reduce this anticipating thing. You do not know what tomorrow will bring, good or bad, stop thinking about it, and shift your mind elsewhere. Be busy with something at hand, and focus completing it, than worrying over things which are out of your reach. 
  • Make your bed un-inviting: Aside from setting alarm clocks, after you finally get up, place piles of books, clothes and other things on your bed, after making your bed. Make it look less inviting so that you do not get tempted to lie down again on it. 

Something tells me you are too stressed out, or anxious over something? 

Most of the times 'willingness' could help tonnes. If you have depression, and if it is mild, try the above and include morning exercising regimes, cook for yourself something yummy each morning, do something fun and rewarding in the morning (it could be as simple as answering a question in this forum). 

Heavily depending on a therapist could make you think the therapist would solve all your troubles; heavily depending on medication is not healthy either. Instead of asking your therapist for an immediate "magic pill", you could consult for example a good dietician for a healthy serotonin and dopamine boosting food items, and include them in your daily diet. Ask your psychiatrist on some daily activities which could successfully secrete dollops of good chemicals in your brain. 

Edited by Cloudy888

I also suffer from morning anxiety/depression.  I take Neurontin for my anxiety so I usually wake up around 5:30 or so to go pee and I take one then so when I finally crawl out of bed around 7:00 or so it has already kicked in.  Then I get a cup of coffee and go out in my backyard where it is nice and quite and practice Mindfulness - concentrate on sounds like the birds singing, etc.  until I feel a little better.