Your Experience With Telling Friends That You Have Depression

Mahi

Recently depression has been really bothering me. I question my purpose and who I am too often, and I really want it to change - I don't want to live in this darkness.

Outside of this community, I think I need to ask for help. This has gotten so out of control, and I feel like help personalized for me would be very helpful.

So I was thinking about telling friends my story and where I am right now.

But I'm afraid. Will they look at me differently? Will they draw unnecessary attention to me in public places, asking me if I'm okay? Will they tell someone else? Especially since my story is a tale of silence and blood (which you can read here http://www.depressionforums.org/forums/topic/116944-depression-at-12-my-story/), I find it super hard to confess to someone else that I'm depressed and that I need help. Like, immediately. Otherwise I could end up ******* myself.

On top of that, I've always felt inferior to my friends. Like I don't deserve to associate with them because they're too good for me. In this situation, I feel like I'd be wasting their time on me, and I don't even know if they care about me as much as I care about them.

However, I have told 3 of my friends (one of which was online, so they can't really tell anyone else that could hurt me) this story, and they haven't told anyone (as far as I can tell), so...

My friends are 13-14, just like me.

Going back to the title of the topic: Have you ever told a friend you have depression? And if you have, what did the friend do, how did the friend react, etc. 

Any stories of your experience, or a response to my experience, would be much appreciated!

Thanks so much for reading!

Edited by Mahi

I think just telling a friend who you know definitely you can trust would be a great start

i remember when I was 13-14 .. i confided in friends who acted trusting and then they spilled my secrets anyway . 

Please tell an adult. A school counselor or kind teacher. Or tell your doctor. Could you tell a parent or other family member? There are so many ways to get help for depression, but a peer of 13-14 years won't know about them. Reach out. I know it's hard, but you can do it. You must do it. You do not have to be alone in this and it CAN be managed. Depression is an illness like any other. If you had a broken leg, you'd find a doctor. Well, you have a brain that isn't regulating emotions correctly. It needs treatment too. I'm so proud of you for asking for help on this forum. Now, go find someone in your life who will direct you to help. There really is help available!  I will be praying for you, precious one! I hope to hear a good report soon!

When I was 14, I talked to my closest friend at the time about it and she wound up helping me a lot and even going with me to the school counselor a few times. Friends might not understand (she never suffered from any health issues, shrugged off all the high school bulls***, too), but they do care and if they're your friends in the first place then they see something in you whether or not you see it.

Personally before talking to a school counselor I didn't know, I wanted to talk to someone I did and get emotional support in trying to help myself. Finding what to actually do can take a few tries. I lived in a pretty bad home situation and talking to adults generally didn't pan out, there were always excuses and I didn't have sufficient evidence of physical violence or police wouldn't do anything for other types of abuse.

Edited by Bebop

I've told close friends, friends, and adults at school, and none of them were helpful. They all acted condescending or they just don't know what to say. It kinda sucks knowing that I can't trust anyone anymore. Kind people are so rare in the world.