Sign in to follow this  
Mr Shadow

Unable to sleep

So this is going for about three months now, I always have been a light sleeper but recently I am unable to fall asleep at all if I'm not alone in the room and even then I wake up to random sounds neighbours make or birds chirping outside, regardless of how tired I am.

I got all the tests done and they all came back negative, so I got prescribed sleeping meds but they did nothing besides making me feel even more tired, then I got prescribed other ones and they were even worse, making me nausious, but not at all sleepy.

So then I tried using various white noises, which helped me not to focus on my gf's breathing, but in return - gave me a headache and I was not able to fall asleep at all with white noise in the background. Maybe I need to get used to them, I don't know.

I would just use ear plugs, but one of my ears can't handle the vacuum they create and is prone to infection, so they are not really an option.

This really frustrates me, because it keeps me from sleeping with the woman I love and even when I'm sleeping alone I'm still not getting enough sleep, because of constantly waking up through the night to the littelest of sounds and when I'm tired I'm underperforming and am prone to depression :/ 

People say sleep problems are often stress related by my only source of stress is not being able to sleep, so its an endless cycle :(

When I was in the Psych hospital for a week, they kept the entire ward extremely cool. There were several reasons for this, but one was to help us sleep. I don't know what the temp was, but we were wearing sweaters during the day and needing 2 or 3 blankets at night, so it was chilly. You might try a very cool bedroom. Or if like me I cannot afford an air conditioner so a fan offers a little help. .

Good luck.

I'm also a very light sleeper, there's times that it takes me at least an hour to fall asleep despite feeling tired. What helps me is listening to ASMR videos on YouTube in bed. It stands for Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response and there are many different types of "triggers", it's basically a really relaxing feeling you get sometimes activated by some voice, or action. You should watch a "trigger video" and see if any appeal to you, I've fell asleep countless times to these.

Thanks for the replies, I tried to watch ASMR trigger video but sounds in it really irritate me, those are usually the sounds I get woken up by. Clicking and knocking noises make me exremely angry for some reason ;/

I don't really think it would work for me, the more tired I am, the harder it is for me to fall asleep. If I go without sleep 24 h it's almost impossible for me to fall asleep the next day as I get stomach cramps, excessive sweating, migrena etc. I've done it before and it had been a nightmare, one time I couldn't fall asleep for three days straight. I would like to go to sleep clinic, but the only one clise by is under reconstruction for a while now.

This is maybe not as facile as getting a white noise machine, but maybe some changes to the room you're sleeping in would help. If you have hardwood floors, maybe put a few rugs in. Possibly hang up some curtains or even towels on the walls, just to try to deaden the noises? I realize these are hardly conventional solutions, but in general the fewer hard surfaces in your room the softer the noises will be.

Tonight I tried sleeping with the rain sound app I found and while it gave me a headache by the morning it seemingly somewhat worked, for the very least it drowned out the weird occasional noises my neighbours make in their bathroom from 6 am to 9 am and 9 pm to 1 am every day. I'll try sleeping with it on again tonight, fingers crossed :) Also I googled a bit and I think I have a misophonia.

So not much luck so far, actually I think its gotten worse, now every time I try to sleep in the same room as my gf, not even talking about the same bed I get extremely nosious, feeling hot and cold at the same time. Nosea stops when I go to sleep in the other room. It's almost bizzare I have no idea what's happening, my best guess is that I somehow developed a weird sleep anxiety. All this situation pi**es me off to no end because everything else is going great.

Ever since my first dose of an antidepressant, Lexapro 10mg, I had issues sleeping. The Lexapro caused me to get Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS). There'd be times when I'd go days without sleep because the RLS wouldn't let me, they would constantly twitch all night. I even switched to Celexa 20mg, and there's no change. Still have issues falling asleep because of the RLS. I've tried many different home remedies to keep from calling my doctor, but nothing helps.. Anyone have any great advice on what I should do?!? 

https://www.change.org/p/brandilafitte-endometriosis-needs-a-cure

I haven't slept more than 5 hours for the past 3 days.  Everywhere I read online,  says that excessive sleep is a sign of depression.   But what is this that I have?  My mind  & body are exhausted,  I have no energy, but I close my eyes and sleep won't come. 

As of yet, I haven't been to a therapist for my depression & I'm not on any medications.  I just wish I could sleep.  I'm so very tired.

Insomnia is also related to anxiety. I was having big problems sleeping for a couple of months.
I've found exercise during the day, stay away from your bedroom and create a bedtime routine so your body and mind kinda understand "okay, we go to sleep now".
Meditation, chamomile tea and reading are also good ways of helping.

Hope you find some sleep soon, i know how it feels to be drained but wide awake.