Sign in to follow this  
ICanSpellThornwell

How has religion help you overcome your depression?

I would love to hear some stories from you wonderful people. Of course there is always the antithesis to the question, "How has religion caused your depression?" I would love to hear about both sides of the coin.

Here is a link to my story... Too Long to put on here... 

Religion definitely caused my depression... :( 

My Story

Edited by Weesue
notify me of replies!

I don't know that I'd say religion has helped me overcome my issues yet, I still have a long way to go.  In the past year, I've begun studying Zen Buddhism.  I can say that during meditation, I feel a certain peace.  It's often fleeting, but the fact that I can find it at all is very moving sometimes.

It gives me hope that if I'm never cured or healed from depression is can still go on. Faith is very important to me

My faith is in people. I could not stay afloat without my family and friends. Also, my weekly A.A. meeting gives me a great feeling of connectedness. People are very honest there, and nonjudgemental.

One of my number one coping strategies is a gratitude list....coming up with 10 things a day that I appreciate about my life. They can be really simple, but still they help put my mind in a good place.

Now I'm realizing that your initial question is about religion. It helped me at times, because there were some really cool nuns and priests. The part that hurt me was the systemic guilt and shame that was passed down by my mom.

9 hours ago, ICanSpellThornwell said:

@brightestdayblackestnight @long journey @vega57 Thank you three for sharing your stories. I love to hear how other people are coping and hopefully give those around me hope who are also struggling. 

You are welcome. My faith isn't always on steady legs, sometimes it's so wobbly I can barely stand but than there's always Someone holding me up and today has been one of those days  

20 hours ago, long journey said:

One of my number one coping strategies is a gratitude list....coming up with 10 things a day that I appreciate about my life. They can be really simple, but still they help put my mind in a good place.

@long journey I understand what you are saying about the list of ten things. Sometimes it helps to have a list or schedule. I have also found it helpful to have a motivational quote or two to really get things going. Thanks for sharing again, I love hearing people's experiences and stories of how this beast called depression has been effected by various factors. 

13 hours ago, vega57 said:

You are welcome. My faith isn't always on steady legs, sometimes it's so wobbly I can barely stand but than there's always Someone holding me up and today has been one of those days  

We've all been there @vega57. Sometimes it feels like the whole thing is going to wash away and at the last minute the waves stop crashing. It's a crazy up and down life. 

Very good analogy. But there are days I'd rather just sit on the sand and watch those darn waves without getting wet but sooner or later we have to at least wet our feet. Lol. 

On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 9:08 PM, vega57 said:

One of my sister in law is in hospital, late stage 4 colon and stomach cancer. She hasn't been told yet but when we were alone she told me she knew her end is very near. Today her father went to visit her and ended up in the ER, we just found out his cancer has returned; he's been on this earth for 85 years. My beautiful mother in law is gone, his eldest daughter died a few months ago from cancer also and my wife is dealing with all this. Very hard. So I asked her if she believes in prayer still and she said yes. Like I said, sometimes my faith rests on wobbly legs and her's seems to get stronger. I also told her that sometimes we make "excuses" for God not responding to our prayers. She's tells me "isn't it the same God in the good times as in the bad ones". What could I say. My legs wobble sometimes. 

I lost my grandfather who raised me to colon cancer. It's a relentless and tenacious disease and I was helpless just watching him slip away. I feel your pain @vega57. That's what the body of Christ is for, to support those members who are weaker, though not counted out. Hang in there. Praying for you and your family. 

Yes always.Just don't don't start thinking your not good enough or anything negative.Religion is supposed to give hope,love,fellowship with others,support,forgiveness,and on and on.God fills a void in your life that drugs and booze were filling.With out God there is a big hole in my chest with the wind rushing thru.

Religion most certainly made my depression worse. It probably triggered it to begin with (among other factors) The systemic brainwashing/indoctrination I suffered as a child and teenager being raised in a strict christian family (12 years of parochial school) inflicted irreparable harm. 

This is kind of lengthy, For an introvert, I have a habit of talking a grave amount. People dislike me for this trait of mines. Please do not read if you don't like lengthy talks.

Very interesting question. By the time my depression began I had already done away with religion. But when I was younger and a deist (I believed in a personal deity, no dogma), there were some things I was going through [which can be intertwined with remnants of my depression] which I always looked to my God for help. I asked him for strength and help to persevere through the trying times I was going through. Nothing changed, though. I had some not so kind words to say to him one night as I was walking home from a girlfriends house. I basically had enough.

I remember I was in the middle of the road and looked up to the sky and began interrogating him. I was asking if he was really there, I called him a coward, and asked "Why don't you f****** say something?! Huh!? Give me a sign! Do you hear me!? I pour my heart out and tell you my every thought for years just for you to sit there and not do jack! What do you want from me?!".

This set the groundwork to me studying religion and trying to find one that fit me -- which did do some good. I went from practicing buddhism to Islam, left that because I didn't agree with certain things plus I was lonely. I tried getting into Christianity... I liked the concept of Jesus, but everything else did not sit right with me. And especially now, seeing as studying religion pretty much became my hobby, it really doesn't sit right with me. I was interested in Judaism because I liked how they think. They don't believe in hell, for instance. The rigorous process of becoming a Jew turned me off, I felt like I was trying to hold on to something that was just no longer there. But I did get something out of my journey. I became a very peaceful person, a humanist and a pacifist through all of that. 

Before naturally becoming agnostic, I tried to to follow a religion desperately and that made me realize something, the reason as to why we're attached to religion. That feeling of a community, a belief system that gives you a purpose in life, etc. I kind of outgrew it all and painfully saw the world for what it actually is... beautiful... but ugly and in my opinion godless (I hope to not offend anyone with that statement). If anything, the physical presence of someone who cares about me is all I need to help with my depression. I believe it's something we all need. We can't seem to get that, so we look to other alternatives to try and replace it. For some, it just may work, But for others... it's like feeding a never ending addiction. We're all looking for that high that'll take us from this low that we're on. 

Edited by Third Eye Seeker

3 hours ago, LonelyHiker said:

Religion most certainly made my depression worse. It probably triggered it to begin with (among other factors) The systemic brainwashing/indoctrination I suffered as a child and teenager being raised in a strict christian family (12 years of parochial school) inflicted irreparable harm. 

I empathise with you 'LonelyHiker' My Story on my Blog...

@WeesueI'm on your blog. I see you've read the Skeptics Annotated Bible? I love that book! It's helped a lot in my studies. Due to my depression rising over the past months, my religious studies have been sort of on hold. I recommend you get "The Holy Bible: Best God Damned Version" if you haven't already. You should join the Disqus community and participate in the Religion thread. Great place to have religious related discussions. I believe your input could be of a great interest there. If you are interested, read my article on a new bill the Islamic council in Pakistan is pushing for the ability of husbands to beat their wives, I'd like to see your thoughts if you have any: Say what?: The Islamic Councils says Pakistani men may 'lightly beat' their wives