Sign in to follow this  
desperados

The greatest concentration of serotonin is found in your intestines, not your brain

That's interesting,there's a direct link between gut and brain that helps to boost neurotransmitters in the brain.

Processed food and sugar promote chronic inflammation, which over the long term disrupts the normal functioning of your immune system and wreaks havoc on your brain.

“According to Dr. Raphael Kellman, a New York City-based physician who specializes in treating the microbiome...the microbiome not only influences our mood, but it also has a lot to do with how the brain functions and develops over time,” The Epoch Times9 notes.

‘By improving the microbiome we can actually see positive changes in mood, cognitive function, and executive function,’ Kellman said...

‘The microbiome communicates with the brain through a number of mechanisms... These pathways include direct neurotransmitters that the microbiome produces.

It communicates with the brain via the vagus nerve, and also via the endocrine system in the stress pathway the hypothalamus, pituitary, and adrenal axis.’

Current treatment for neurological disorders focus on direct changes to brain chemistry, tweaking levels of neurotransmitter chemicals in hopes of tuning in the right balance. But the future of mental health treatment may focus much more on the gut than the brain, and more on food than drugs.”

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/07/16/link-between-processed-food-depression.aspx

https://chriskresser.com/9-steps-to-perfect-health-5-heal-your-gut/

That's quite an interesting find.  Could also explain an array of eating disorders...

It's also been proven (at least I'm pretty s ure it has been) that eating better defiantly helps with food-related illnesses like diabetes and..other stuff.  Even with better results than medicine.  I've always believed you should try to limit your intake of pharmaceutical medicine if you could "just eat better" but a lot of people need help with that.. Especially in America.  Too much processed crap here.

Edited by Phantastic Mirage

I took the antibiotic metronidazole/flagyl around a month before becoming severely depressed, and though very felt run down/depressed whilst on it, there was a few weeks of normality before I lost my mind, so cannot directly link it. I like to think it wasn't related, as the thought it was simply makes me to cross, but my gut feeling - excuse the pun - believes there was. Something taken for a toothache destroying your life? Unthinkable. After research that drug has many many reports of causing severe depression, and even says on the leaflet that it should be avoided for those vunerable to mental health issues; how I wish I read it beforehand. The "cipros" have an even worse reputation for destroying people and are particularly nasty poisons. 

There is an obvious huge link between gut health/mental health that needs more investigating, which it won't get whilst big pharma still push the now disproven low serotonin/chemical imbalance fallacy. But yes I believe it's something like 95% of serotonin is contained in the gut. 

20 minutes ago, Misanthrop said:

So long story short, what foods should we intake to make our brains feel like constantly drenched in dopamine? aka the solution to beat depression

If it was that simple..! Dopamine has its part in some depressions, but is just one factor in an extraordinary complex neural network, of which we know next to nothing about of the roles they play in depression.