leaving home for the first time at age 51.

I've never moved or had to leave home until now. never got married or had kids. never hated my parents so I had no reason to move. I helped care for mom and grandmom in their older years before they passed... I liked it here.... Ive worked full time since age 18.... I help pay the bills here and the mortgage, so I've not been living here "free". but I have been living here cheap compared to living somewhere else. I'm a responsible person that works and pays my bills on time.

FEAR and anxiety are not strong enough words to describe what I'm feeling. I'm an introvert, I like having my own space and privacy. I also have depression and anxiety issues for years...  moving out is something i've avoided because I fear it. now it's being forced on me and theirs nothing I can do to stop it. Its coming whether I like it or not.

My biggest question perhaps is this:   I've been using craigslist without much luck to find a place to live. is their a better website I should be using?  someone said try roommates.com but that one did not impress me either. Ive never had to find a place to live before, and i'm not having much luck doing it. its all pretty overwhelming for someone that has difficulty making decisions in the first place...

First of all, that must take tremendous courage!! I personally cannot imagine myself doing that if I were in your situation, so you should be really proud of yourself for actually taking the steps needed to move. I know you said you don't have a choice, but still, you are facing this challenge the best way you can, and that's really hard to do.

I don't know whether you are looking for a place to rent or buy? For renting, craigslist is a good way to find a place to live, but like any other website it comes down to how you use it. Obviously you'll have to go see a lot of places and talk to your future landlord/roommates, etc. before making the final decision. It won't be easy to find the right place unless you have seen a lot of places, so it's good to take the trouble. It's going to take a lot of time, but you'll be less likely to regret later. From my experience, the best thing to do is try to know everything you need to know about the place before you make the decision and move in. That reduces stress significantly, and it's practical too. Don't wait until the last moment.

Good luck! I hope it won't be as bad as it is in your mind, and remember it usually gets better once you are on your way.

Welcome to DF, 51olddude. :hugs: Good for you for striking out and challenging yourself. 

I'm not sure if you are in an urban area or rural. You might try the local papers, in the classified section. Some larger urban areas even have a real estate section.

Your local library is a great place to find resources, even in larger urban communities. The library where I work keeps a list of local real estate agents, and our community is small enough that some of us even have a general idea of what might be for rent.

You could also try your local Chamber of Commerce if you are in the US.  Many times they have lots of information on local events and real estate offerings, for those who are new to the community.