psychiatrist is running out of options and bad paranoia

so i went to see my psych today and ive been seeing her for a while. i feel as if she may be running out of options for me. She asked me what do i want to do? which made me feel hopeless because i felt like she should be the one telling me what to do. She doesnt want to give me other meds because they all make me gain weight which i dont want. so ive been sticking to abilify and citlopram but shes just increased it and shes now taking me off abilify.

i have paranoia and keep on thinking that people are making fun of me or starring at me.. and its usually black girls i get anxious of because in my past, black girls would always pick on me. and now im always paranoid that its going to happen again. im a black girl myself .. and i know its sounds dumb but i cant help this feeling.

i feel hopeless at this point and i think my doctor is getting fed up. ive been to therapy already and it was helpful. a huge improvement from my other anxiety problems but i cant get rid of the paranoia. nobody seems to understand me. is anyone in a similar situation? i just needed to type my feelings out. 

Do you have a therapist now? Sorry if I didn't get it right, but do you mean you have a psychiatrist for meds now but are not in therapy, though you used to be? Then I think it might be a good idea to be in therapy again. If one therapist can't help you with something, it doesn't mean all therapists can't, so maybe it would be good to give it another go. It takes time and experiment to find the right therapist, but once you find it the benefit is worth it. Also, some problems take years to be fixed, and some almost never can be fixed--you just learn the best way to cope with it. Be patient and kind with yourself and don't worry if things don't work immediately. You know how they say time is the best healer? Part of it is completely true, because there are things only time can do. Even the best medicine take time to take effect, and the wounds of the heart are usually harder to heal than physical wounds. Also, I don't think you are dumb because of your paranoia. It sounds like you've had some hard time, and it only makes sense if you have difficulty now. I hope it will get better for you soon.

On 4/10/2016 at 8:14 AM, HRiddle said:

Do you have a therapist now? Sorry if I didn't get it right, but do you mean you have a psychiatrist for meds now but are not in therapy, though you used to be? Then I think it might be a good idea to be in therapy again. If one therapist can't help you with something, it doesn't mean all therapists can't, so maybe it would be good to give it another go. It takes time and experiment to find the right therapist, but once you find it the benefit is worth it. Also, some problems take years to be fixed, and some almost never can be fixed--you just learn the best way to cope with it. Be patient and kind with yourself and don't worry if things don't work immediately. You know how they say time is the best healer? Part of it is completely true, because there are things only time can do. Even the best medicine take time to take effect, and the wounds of the heart are usually harder to heal than physical wounds. Also, I don't think you are dumb because of your paranoia. It sounds like you've had some hard time, and it only makes sense if you have difficulty now. I hope it will get better for you soon.

no i dont have a therapist now. and yes i am seeing a psychiatrist at the moment. i just feel like a therapist or anyone wont really know how to help me in this situation. ive been dealing with this for a while and it seems like my brain just goes in to automatic paranoia mode and i have no control over it.  and i dont think talking about it will completely make it go away. maybe the best thing i can do is just learn how to cope with it like you said(i guess therapy might help with that?). your words were super kind and encouraging. thank you for taking the time to listen and write back. i just dont know if i should find a new psychiatrist or go to therapy. im a little confused as what to do right now. i feel like the paranoia can only be taken away with meds. thats just how i feel.. alot of the times i feel like its permanent which is sad:(

Yes, sometimes I feel like that too, that therapy can't really help with some of the problems. But then there were times when one particular therapist could help. If it's not too much hassle, financial and time wise, maybe it would be good to give therapy another chance? The good thing is that you can always stop it if you think it's not helping. Also it's good to be completely honest with the therapist, so if you think they are not helping, you can tell them so (they won't take it personally). Maybe it will help them understand you better. I know these things are not easy to deal with, and the fact that you can see your paranoia objectively is already a big step forward. Hope you'll feel better soon!

I probably will give therapy another chance. But should I loo

9 hours ago, HRiddle said:

Yes, sometimes I feel like that too, that therapy can't really help with some of the problems. But then there were times when one particular therapist could help. If it's not too much hassle, financial and time wise, maybe it would be good to give therapy another chance? The good thing is that you can always stop it if you think it's not helping. Also it's good to be completely honest with the therapist, so if you think they are not helping, you can tell them so (they won't take it personally). Maybe it will help them understand you better. I know these things are not easy to deal with, and the fact that you can see your paranoia objectively is already a big step forward. Hope you'll feel better soon!

I probably will give therapy another chance. But should I look for a new psychiatrist also? And thanks soo much!