I started 7.5 mg mirtazapine about 3 days ago. IM sleeping great but i wake up tired and only want to nap when i get home from work. Its been so hard not calling in sick to work. This dose is a grain of salt compared to everyone elses. I feel like a wimp. But how long until i know it is helping my anxiety and depression? I feel like my mood is still up and down, i'm irritable and angry still.

My new psychiatrist keeps asking me if anyone in my family has schizophrenia or bipolar disorder II.Who am I!!! I don't think so but i am not sure if anyone does. Is she maybe insinuating i have one both? I see her on wednesday. I know I have chronic anxiety and depression, not too many panic attacks, PTSD along with OCD (not hand washing and door locking type, my OCD is mental racing thoughts and worry constantly checking money sort of thing.)

Can anyone give me any insight? I tried posting elsewhere on this site but i feel there are too many people on here and many are overlooked and just wish i could have a response.

Hey!

I think it takes about a month especially for psych meds to really "kick in" and show their true effects on your brain. I started off on 25 mg of Effexor aka Venlafaxine, and my therapist told me not to judge it until after a month or so. Three weeks would probably even be a decent amount of time to give it a chance. When I first started taking my meds, my anxiety shot through the roof before it got better.

My opinion of diagnoses have always been that they only represent your symptoms medically so that when someone looks at your history, they can have a better understanding of what you go through/which meds you take. I've been diagnosed with Bipolar II, major depression, social phobia, PTSD, etc. as well, but it doesn't really say anything about who I actually am. I hope that makes sense? Like sure I have depression. I also have a wicked sense of humor :Coopwink:

I am not an expert but  most of what I know about Mirtazapine is that it works wonders for sleep and also increases the appetite.  But definitely stick with it for at least 4 - 6 weeks as it does take some time for side effects to wear off and total benefit of meds to kick in.

started 7.5 mg mirtazapine about 3 days ago. IM sleeping great but i wake up tired and only want to nap when i get home from work. Its been so hard not calling in sick to work. This dose is a grain of salt compared to everyone elses. I feel like a wimp. But how long until i know it is helping my anxiety and depression? I feel like my mood is still up and down, i'm irritable and angry still.

My new psychiatrist keeps asking me if anyone in my family has schizophrenia or bipolar disorder II.Who am I!!! I don't think so but i am not sure if anyone does. Is she maybe insinuating i have one both? I see her on wednesday. I know I have chronic anxiety and depression, not too many panic attacks, PTSD along with OCD (not hand washing and door locking type, my OCD is mental racing thoughts and worry constantly checking money sort of thing.)

Can anyone give me any insight? I tried posting elsewhere on this site but i feel there are too many people on here and many are overlooked and just wish i could have a response.

Never heard of mirtazapine, but there's more depression meds out there than I can count.  Truthfully, you'll have to be honest to yourself about what is working, or not.  Initial effects can vary, but like a previous poster said, it can take a month to really judge their efficacy.  I went through about 6 meds until I started Effexor, which works at controlling the anxiety part of this complex.  Later I added Abilify, and it stopped my chronic headaches.  Still, I am not content with a partial fix.  No combination or dosage of these is able to make me a happy person.  Instead I just feel neutral.

I still take Effexor, but Abilify was replaced with Vyvanse.  I'm on the max dose, and take Adderall in conjunction.  It keeps me alert, but I often run out early, and I'll just leave that at that.

I've got a plan though, and keep us posted on yours.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi JDawg7.

I'm on 7,5 mg mirtazapine(for primary insomnia) and 10mg sitalopram for anxiety and mood swings after 3 years of being off meds. You're experiences mirror mine. After the first two weeks  I lost the morning drowsiness. 

I've written elsewhere on DP of the effect of mirtazapine had on me the first time round.. The dosage was 45-60 mg when I first began using it about 10 years ago. I put on 30 pounds of weight in two years or so. 

My current doctor told me small doses (7-15 mg) shouldn't have an effect on weight.. Personally I take EVERYTHING the established healthcare system says with a grain of salt.. 

Anyhow, I hope all goes well with you. 

Take care!