Sign in to follow this  
6dantex6

has anyone here been unemployed for a long time?

i am unemployed over 2 years(worked here and there for day or two but nothing more).

i have never heard of someone who is depressed and unemployed for a long time as me,many people struggle with their jobs but have one which makes me feel\think

that there is something wrong with me in addition to depression(if other depressed people have jobs why cant i get one for so long).

so i am asking out of curiosity and to see if i am really the only one.

6dantex6

Don't worry - you are not alone. Forgetting about personal issues and all that, the world itself has gone from a place where jobs are for life, with inbuilt training to help you upskill, to a highly aggressive get-things-done-at-the-lowest price. I am out of work for over 6 months and it has hit me bad recently, but think I have some sort of plan to get out of it, even one step at the time.

We obviously don't know the ins and outs of your situation, but is there any kind of way to retrain or move focus to another industry / trade, even if it means doing a 6-12 month course? It would help in connecting with other people and that you have some use. And also a definite goal to achieve to put effort in. Just a thought.

You are by far not the only one! In Ireland, even though they say the economy has turned, rural locations are just decimated by long-term unemployment.

stoniumfrog what you said about a 6\12 months course is basically my plan but to do that i need money.

to make the money to get some skill education i need to work at some s***ty job to save money, the problem is

that i just cant do it(i want to but just cant do it,if its something that i dont find interesting and actually want to do there is nothing i can do to force myself to work at that job.i have no profession so the jobs i can get are low pay and crappy ). every time i find a job,the day before i start working depression gets

100% worse and all day i think only about bad stuff(there will be mean people,too much hours i cant handle that,the job is too

hard i wont be able to handle that...) and at the day i supposed to go to work i wake up with no energy to move and very depressed

and after i dont go i get more depressed

Thanks for sharing. I am in a similar position now as well, having been unemployed for more than a few months. Sometimes I am what they call "The Discouraged Unemployed", which is exactly what it sounds like: people that are so discouraged they simply stop making efforts to get employed. There is some speculation about exactly how many discouraged therereally are. But it's probably too many, haha. I think in the US they are not even counted as unemployed job seekers, and if they were, the unemployment rate would be higher. Anyway, I think that confidence is one of the most important things in getting a job and in doing well at that job, and when you are depressed and jobless, confidence is at an all-time low. It is a very vicious circle trying to persuade companies to "take a chance" on you. Especially if they want a high-energy go-getter with a very confident can-do attitude! Also a related great skill to have is to be able to think on your feet in high-pressure situations, and essentially have really good "BS" skills so that you can say anything to anyone, and they can be confident that you are confident in your abilities to do the job. For example, my last job was very confusing and overwhelming and we had to be the "experts" to help people fix technical problems, but we were "trained" in a "sink or swim" way, and many times didn't really know what to even say to people. I don't know what to do here, well figure it out, I don't know what to tell them, I don't know how to explain what I don't really understand. People with good "BS" skills are good at making themselves sound like experts even when they have no idea what is going on, and this is a hard skill to learn. Ideally, you would "simply" be a smooth, confident communicator, and be able to do that without being too dishonest or "BS"-ey. I think this is what companies mean by "excellent communication skills." But they are not kidding, excellent communication skills ARE very valuable. It's just really difficult to develop EXCELLENT communication skills, especially when under pressure or in unusual situations! Takes a lot of confidence. 

But I understand what you are going through! At this point, I feel envious of "normal" people who are able to work for a living like "responsible, functional adults", and are able to hold down their jobs without going crazy, getting fired, "rage-quitting", etc. 

Just lie your ass off to get a job i have made up accomplishments and made up jobs i never had when i was younger when we were in that recession under bush.on my resume i have clubs on there that i never even went to just to make it look better i put a bunch of skills i don,t have use professors and doctors on my resume that i befriended in my university and then i go to the interview and act like i knew what im talking about no matter how incompetent i actually am.i bet i could lie about what college i went to or even that i had a masters degree and they would probably be to lazy to check.just lie and exaggerate,brain wash yourself before going into the interview that you know exactly what your doing,then act like it .

I've been out of work for the past nine or so months.

Depression had never impacted my life hard enough to jar me out of a job until this past summer. Yet here I am now, jobless and bleeding my savings account dry.

For the first time since I was a teenager am I completely cut out from any kind of scheduled and productive activities (i.e. full-time work or school).

On the positive front I can, well, actually see a positive front, which is a gradual emergence from severe depression into the more familiar milder variant that's defined most of my life. Dead on the inside, but functional. Frankly, I'm terrified of hunting through the job market and am now more focused on pursuits that further improve my general well-being. The healthier I am, the better suited I am to track down and secure employment.

One step at a time ... until the savings account runs dry.

a few months, but I have to get my ass in gear if i want to save my father's house which has a small mortgage.

as much as i despise the house and all the bulls*** I went through living in it with a raging controlling raging alcoholic a******.

I've been unemployed on and off for the last few years because of the current horrible economical situation in my country, not enough jobs for everyone... :| I was almost one year unemployed for the whole last year and just started working again one month ago. I seriously considered to move abroad or something... ><

2 months. no income, no benefits, no subsidies. all debt. just to get a job that pays the same as my old college job from 14 years ago. I have a JD. ... junk. 

On 4/1/2016 at 10:40 AM, Wisteria said:

I've been unemployed on and off for the last few years because of the current horrible economical situation in my country, not enough jobs for everyone... :| I was almost one year unemployed for the whole last year and just started working again one month ago. I seriously considered to move abroad or something... ><

Yup.  It was the same for me a couple of years ago in North America.  Although I have a job now, I half expect to be laid off again because it happens so often now.  LOL.

Anyone who tells you the global economy is improving is probably lying.  :/

Edited by AntiNorm

I went through a tough year of unemployment: 13 job interviews, hundreds of applications, and nothing. Depression hit me hard that year. I finally found a job which lasted about a year and then I was laid off. I was unemployed for 3 months and getting depressed. Ended up accepting employment in a field that I hate just for the sake of employment but I constantly feel worthless. 

on and off over 5 years now but the jobs i have make me more depressed in many ways as they are the worst jobs about, i have degree but no good cant get no job from it

Been a neet for seven years. But it looks like that's about to change, if things continue to go in the right direction. I've managed to get my things a bit more in order, and motivate myself.

You are not alone, i was a manager in grocery store for over 5 yrs and then something happened and i broke mentally. I have dealt with mental illness for over 20 years. At this point i have been unemployed for 4 years. I tried a job here and there then my doctor finally said no more. The simple act of looking for a job was putting me into pure panic. Then forget about it when I got an interview I would stress out and not be able to focus resulting in a horrible interview. After being told no more work I filed for disability which I am still waiting on. 

On 2016-03-31 at 1:45 PM, scienceguy said:

Just lie your ass off to get a job i have made up accomplishments and made up jobs i never had when i was younger when we were in that recession under bush.on my resume i have clubs on there that i never even went to just to make it look better i put a bunch of skills i don,t have use professors and doctors on my resume that i befriended in my university and then i go to the interview and act like i knew what im talking about no matter how incompetent i actually am.i bet i could lie about what college i went to or even that i had a masters degree and they would probably be to lazy to check.just lie and exaggerate,brain wash yourself before going into the interview that you know exactly what your doing,then act like it .

I don't know where you live, or what kind of jobs you're applying for but here any places that have jobs that pay you more than minimum wage that you can actually live on (instead of forcing you into perpetual dorm life) have HR departments that do reference checks and sniff out stuff like that (as it's part of THEIR job description).  I've witnessed people getting fired after getting hired for lying on their resumes.  I've seen resumes being tossed into the bin after people get suspicious.  Do yourself a favour and don't take shortcuts to work your way up.  If you take the "easy" route (I don't understand how it's supposed to be easier to lie.. lol), have fun trying to get a serious job when you have to explain gaps in your resume and lack of credible references to HR recruiters and interviewers.