Please tell me it gets better

smithci

Hi

I'm male 35 and have battled with low mood and anxiety most of my life.  I had a big breakdown just over 2 years ago and have not been the same since.  I have tried to battle the depression and anhedonia on my own without medication until now, I got prescribed Fluoxetine just over 2 weeks ago I'm on day 16.  My depression got so bad i started to consider suicide, I am also paying privately for therapy and I am signed off work sick.  I am currently staying at my mothers house because i do not like to be alone

This being my third week on flux I am really struggling.  I have no appetite, insomnia and no energy.  I constantly have gloomy thoughts about the past and the future.  Suicide often makes sense but I'm not going to act but I can't go on much longer.

The depression and anhedonia seems worse but I'm hoping i did the right thing by going on these tablets.

I have spoken to my doctor and as i expected they said you just need to wait, and gave me the number of the crisis team and samaritans

Any positive responses would be much appreciated right now

Thank you

Hi smithci :)

I've dealt with low mood my whole life too. I only have very vague and brief recollections when I actually felt some semblance of actual happiness.

It does get better and I'll tell you why. Go to near-death dot com and read people's near death testimonies. You will see that a recurring thing people mention is a feeling of pure ecstasy, peace and happiness when out of their body. All burdens of physical life are released. Reading people's testimonies have given me so much more hope and reassurance that all is well and everything is going to work out.

Now please don't take this to mean that "well if that's the case then I should take my own life so I can reach that state and be done with the misery!" Doing that does not resolve the pain, it only makes things harder on you and your loved ones you leave behind.

We all came here for a reason. Depression and anxiety suck but we came here to deal and work through our inner issues so we can heal them. Eventually we will all overcome our depression and anxiety permanently. So know that you are not suffering needlessly. You'll get through this one way or another, just hang in there. 

I've been on Paxil in the past before too. If you really feel like you need some kind of support then stay on it for now but what you need to do is get to the bottom of what the source of your depression is. Medications only put a band-aid on the symptoms. 

Do you have any ideas of what's caused you to feel unhappy throughout your life smithci? It may very well be a combination of things and not just one thing necessarily.

I  am on escitalopram. First four weeks were hell, then it got better. After three months my mental state is, I think so, about 80 per cent of what it was before depression. So,, according to my experience, you should wait 4 to 6 weeks before estimating that the meds dont work. A lot of people here had the same experience. This not a medical advice, just a report of a personal experience. Get well.

I complained of increased anxiety and suicidal thoughts 3 weeks in on 20mg.. 

The doctor has increased it to 40mg,  does this make sense.   I feel even more anxious and thinking about suicide again

I spoke to the crisis team telling them I was feeling suicidal and they said maybe the doc should change your meds!!  What the hell!?!?

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 2:44 AM, smithci said:

Hi

I'm male 35 and have battled with low mood and anxiety most of my life.  I had a big breakdown just over 2 years ago and have not been the same since.  I have tried to battle the depression and anhedonia on my own without medication until now, I got prescribed Fluoxetine just over 2 weeks ago I'm on day 16.  My depression got so bad i started to consider suicide, I am also paying privately for therapy and I am signed off work sick.  I am currently staying at my mothers house because i do not like to be alone

This being my third week on flux I am really struggling.  I have no appetite, insomnia and no energy.  I constantly have gloomy thoughts about the past and the future.  Suicide often makes sense but I'm not going to act but I can't go on much longer.

The depression and anhedonia seems worse but I'm hoping i did the right thing by going on these tablets.

I have spoken to my doctor and as i expected they said you just need to wait, and gave me the number of the crisis team and samaritans

Any positive responses would be much appreciated right now

Thank you

I know all bout the stayin' awake I have bouts of 50 and 60 and sometimes 80hrs straight before I crash. On the otherhand i'm eating everything in sight when these bouts happen, my last one just ended lastnight it was close to 60.