Self help books etc - Any recommendations?

psychocandy

Tried literally 100s. All seem the same. I read them and think, wow thats a good idea or that makes sense. But then theres the little voice in the back of my head saying yes but you're different. Just does not seem to stick.

So, OK, any recommendations?

My main issues are worrying about things, not letting go, general anxiety etc. I just yearn for a life where I can say stuff it - that just does not bother me. Something happened in the past - I can just let it go.

Well, the problem with self-help books is they don't do the work for you.  You actually have to *do* something to make a change. There are tons of great ideas out there, but if you don't engage some of them, or don't even believe that trying them will be effective for you, then what's the point?

Even if you feel "different," (and, let me tell you a secret, we all feel that way) you have to start somewhere.  Have you tried to put any of the ideas or programs that you've read about into practice?  If so, which ones?  Why do you think they didn't work?

I stopped reading self-help books a long time ago, pretty much. It seems that everybody has the answer, but none of them really helped me.  For me, mindfulness practice ended up being the *only* thing that has helped me.  I didn't get that out of a book, but there are a great many books and audio programs on it.

Oh, and by the way.  I started serious mindfulness work about a year-and-a-half ago.  I still struggle daily.  But I am gaining amazing insights that I never knew possible.  So...it is possible to feel better and to come to terms with the past.  But it takes a lot of work.

I wish you all the best in your journey.

A daily guided meditation to help retrain your brain to move past worry may help but it has to be done quite consistently for an extended period of time to work.  Our brains can be retrained to think differently but only after weeks or even months of persistent effort.  Try to find some meditations on worry and anxiety and just try to do it everyday and see if it helps.  Best of luck.  They are learning much more about the brain and neuroplasicity and that it can be reshaped in how it thinks.  Very promising. 

I agree with Rhyl and others who recommend books that deal with mindfulness and meditation.  In the past, I must have read every new self help book that came out. To get at the core of feeling "okay," if not much, much better overall, the above suggestions are the best in my opinion.

The main symptoms you described about yourself are "regrets" and "ruminating".

For regrets, I recommend "Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda: Overcoming Regrets, Mistakes and Missed Opportunities" by Arthur Freeman.

For rumination, I recommend "The Mindful Path through Worry and Rumination: Letting Go of Anxious and Depressive Thoughts" by Sameet Kumar