Sign in to follow this  
Lizzy

Grapefruit Warning

A friend is taking a mixture of meds and woke up with a rash all over last week - following 2 days of breakfasting which included grapefruit segments from a tin. Do check what your meds say with regard to food stuffs ....... I know cheese, broad beans, Marmite are dangerous with Lithium .........

Grapefruit can adversely effect the medication in several ways. It can cause too much of the medication to enter the system, or too little. It can also chemically react with some meds such as benzodiazapenes, such as xanax, klonopin, etc. I have investigated this due to a similar incident after ingesting grapefruit juice and was told by the PNP that I see, my family GP who is also the chief of staff for the hospital, and a pharmacist. Theres very little danger in the juice unless you drink ALOT of it, but eating the fruit itself will trigger a reaction much faster and more severely. ALOT of medications have grapefruit warnings and its good to read ALL the paperwork that accompanies your medications....

Guest Noca

Grapefruit potentiates Valium when taken together. Its a little trick some anxiety sufferers use.

Watch out with garlic supplements too, I had a very unfortunate reaction with 2g of garlic pills and 50mg of dextromethorphan I used for cough: I ended up with a cross reaction leading me to this thing called "robo tripping" used by recreational users of this drug. It really freaked me out as I was hearing auditory hallucinations and couldn't stand on my feet. Read something about grapefruit causing the same effect.

I always drink a cup fill of white grapefruit juice with my Klonopin! Makes the effects 2 times stronger. It's a trick we benzo users have known for decades. My doctor says there's no harm in doing it. So, I drink a glass every morning with my medication