How often do you leave the house?

Phill

Outdoors, taking chances, even small ones, is where health is hidden.  

When I'm reclusive, hiding at home, not answering the phone, worry about me.

Just opening the damn door and stepping through it...victory

Yeap, even if you could leave the house for 30' (the first day) that would be a step forward. In your concrete case you might have agoraphobia or depression, but in both cases you'll follow the same path. Spend each day a little bit longer outside, go a little be farther. It's a training. Even if you don't have anything to do outside, give it a try.

I understand what you are saying.  I make appointments, run errands, see friends occasionally.  But I like where I live, and have a lot of projects to keep me busy.  There is a feeling of safety being home.  And being alone doesn't really bother me.  I'm trying to write a novel and I really need to concentrate on that more than anything right now.

But I realize I need to try being outside more.  It's hard for me too.

I leave the house for work and necessary shopping or necessary visits to relatives.  I don't like leaving the house anymore because I dislike presenting myself to other people because I feel like such a disappointment. 

At the same time I don't like being home alone anymore. I feel so isolated.

The implications of this are not good.  Still have some hope for improvement. Haven't given up completely yet. 

It depends on moods for me. Sometimes when I feel the impulse to get out, or I have a good reason to be out (eg. meeting friends that I rarely see) I'll willingly leave my house. Other times, I'd make vague plans to go out but often fail to follow through, even though I know it'll be good for me to be out and moving about. Being home is both comforting and stifling because I oscillate between peaceful solitude and smothering solitude, and somehow I want the best of both: security and adventure, which honestly don't really come together. So I'm hoping to find stability in adventure by telling myself to see more of the world.

i leave the house almost everyday to go to school or to do errands. I go over to my parents on Friday even though there dysfunctional just because I have no other options,i never reject invitations from other people and I always try to reach out I hate when im home alone to along i have no money to go anywhere and just existing in some place to talk to strangers doesn't,t seem to improve my mood and makes me feel worse.i use to have agoraphobia when I was younger now i have reverse agoraphobia where I get depressed when I see my condo because it feels like a prison.People always seem to have problems with me because im upset and p***** off,i don,t have energy to maintain focus on other people and there problems because im so focused on my own.my whole family are a bunch of cold sickos to just ignore me when they know is socially isolated,extremely depressed so are my friends and everyone else I reach out to,i put myself in a outpatient program because I was so suicidal and no one cared even when I told them or reached out to me ever.

18 hours ago, One More Red Nightmare said:

I leave the house for work and necessary shopping or necessary visits to relatives.  I don't like leaving the house anymore because I dislike presenting myself to other people because I feel like such a disappointment. 

At the same time I don't like being home alone anymore. I feel so isolated.

I feel somewhat similar. I do go out at least 5 days a week for work... And then out with my kids, or well.. Youngest one of them.

For me it's not about feeling like a disappointment. It's got more to do with people seeing me in as something else than I am. And this might be partly true, and partly just my own thinking.

I like being at home for the most part but it also means that I tend to be a lot by myself, or with my kids. I used to go out with some friends but everyone is running such busy lives with work, families etc that it became a chore to find a time that fit everyone :-o.

I know I need my time too. But I have also started to feel isolated at times because I don't go out much.

Almost never. My habit of not leaving the house started at around 12. By the age of 14 my parents would have to force me to leave and go outside after staying inside my room for several months. By 16 I fully stopped leaving my room entirely. Now I'm 20. I've only left the house a few times in the last 4 years. I went on some walks and visited my mother's house every now and then. That's it. I won't be leaving the house for a few months right now. I believe I'm starting to lose my mind.

i left today and there are always all these old people walking their dogs,that try to talk to me when im trying to get into my car,I hate get stuck into long conversations with people because i just want to go out and get what i need done.If im to friendly people want to talk to me but if I am a d**k and ignore them completely i feel bad for them,I always end up talking to people I really don,t feel like talking to by trying to be nice.When I volunteered at a nursing home it was like hell I just wanted to talk to each patient a bit them move on to the next one but my friends i had at the time and the doctor had a 10 to 20 minute conversation with every god damn person when I was trying to leave.i tried to sneak out and they called me back in lol i don,t know how some people can like talking about nothing so much,i know there old and need to have people to socialize with them,i did not belong there.

i just wish i could just scream thats it im done and walk off,but unfortunately society has problems with that.

Its funny i foten went months without going out unless necessary uni/shops/football etc. I guess i was out a lot then haha but not that i wanted to be.

Then after uni really not going out at all...I noticed however, that going out improves me and my appearance. the problem is not actually being out its GOING OUT!  I realise its these problems.

1- the thought need to get ready and energy to look decent to go out

2- The thought of the energy needed to be out and the thought of all the things you dont like outside

Once out though its ok and if you showered and dressed well you feel kinda good. BUT i notice that if you wanna go someplace its the journey thats the problem especially when you dont have a car.

I would enjoy playing football at the pitches righ tnow but the thought of the 30min bus and walking journey there and back makes it a no goer.  Uni was sometimes fun with my mates but i dont wanna have to get ready and walk all the way to uni.

I got a good mate 20min or 10min bus from me, i wouldnt mind going to his to hang out now but the journey puts me off.

If there was such a thing as teleport machines or i was rich enough to afford taxis 24/7 i think id go out a lot especially to strip clubs lol..

When I had money I was out at the bars and doing stuff with friends 2 or 3 times a week, but ever since I've been broke rarely for social reasons. Otherwise fairly often because I have a dog and she shouldn't have to be cooped up inside all the time just because I'm feeling s***ty.

I wish I could leave my home but I feel like there is no where to go. I do have to go to work even though it is a dead end job. I am trying to search for a new one. However, I don't leave unless I have to leave my home. If I was retired, I would just stay home day in/day out. Have my groceries delivered and keep my car as a way to escape when I do want to go places. When I do go out, it's early in the morning so I can avoid people. I have friends and people that I interact with but I cannot stand people. I get all my crap down in the early morning hours so I can get in and out without the people getting in the way.