Sign in to follow this  
just me 2

Does Cymbalta really help with chronic pain?

I currently take Ultram for chronic pain and recently my doc suggested I try Cymbalta (really talked it up).but after reading all these posts I am thinking it's not for me.I do realize that everyone reacts differently to meds as I am med sensitive and can get by taking low doses.that work for me. I know I don't want to take the stronger pain meds than what I am now on and the Ultram has truly helped me. Has anyone gone from Ultram to Cymbalta with success? Thanks for listening and stay well.

I'm not a pharmacist however through life experiences I've found that these are two totally different meds. Ultram is more of a pain killer, whereas Cymbalta is also an anti-depressant which helps mainly with back pain for some reason

Hi

When I first became depressed the second medication I tried was Cymbalta.  Along with depression I have fibromyalgia (chronic widespread pain) and Cymbalta made a big difference in my pain.  I actually was surprised as I had heard it could help with pain but didn't really believe it.  It did help for me, but everyone is different.  Good luck to you.

Thanks guys and had forgot to mention I have bulging disks in my lower back, RA and fibro along with Panic disorder and the lists goes on and on...be well and thanks for listening

On March 8, 2016 at 9:29 PM, just me 2 said:

I currently take Ultram for chronic pain and recently my doc suggested I try Cymbalta (really talked it up).but after reading all these posts I am thinking it's not for me.I do realize that everyone reacts differently to meds as I am med sensitive and can get by taking low doses.that work for me. I know I don't want to take the stronger pain meds than what I am now on and the Ultram has truly helped me. Has anyone gone from Ultram to Cymbalta with success? Thanks for listening and stay well.

Cymbalta is worth a try but truthfully it likely won't do anything for your pain but it should help your depression caused by the pain (my non expert opinion).    I have, in the past, tried Lyrica and Tramadol as well and it did nothing for nerve pain in my shoulder. Lyrica made me feel like I was losing my memory.   I also used Tramadol and it was not very effective either.  Your doctor just doesn't wan't to get you on a stronger narcotic (in my opinion) if something else will work for you.  There's nothing to lose from trying Cymbalta though, so good luck.  Cymbalta sure works good for my sadness but it does cause some side effects with my love life.  Getting back to pain control, I am using Dilaudid along with Tylenol and Ibuprofen to control arthritis in my hands and wrists.  Dilaudid side effects are scary though and I'm totally scared about the addictive aspect of narcotic pain meds.  Narcotics also cause drowsiness and withdrawl symptoms that are terrible.    Therefore starting at the least dangerous and working up is the best policy regardless of what worked for me or anyone else. Good luck !