Sign in to follow this  
dupius

Wellbutrin OTC in Canada

Is Wellbutrin OTC in any part of Canada?

I'll be traveling some weeks through Canada and I am afraid a foreign prescription would be almost like having nothing. But it might happen that I'd need to buy some. I could lose the pills, or they might forbid me to taking a certain amount of pill over the border. The prospect of being without Wellbutrin is horrifying for me. So, hence the question.

Although the administration of health care (and associated regulations, presumably) is technically handled separately by each province, I'd highly doubt you could find over-the-counter Wellbutrin, considering the risk of seizures and all. Have you looked into just taking your prescription in? Maybe call a pharmacy you'd like to visit and ask them if they can call your doctor long distance. Larger chains like Shopper's Drug Mart have pharmacy assistants answer the phone who would likely be able to answer your general questions.

*edit* btw, welcome to the forums. I hope you'll find this useful for whatever you need. :)

Edited by sabishikunaru

@sabishikunaru: And could it be that they sell it after a consultation with the pharmacist? Or do you have to go all the route through the psychiatrist? It's not as if people were trying to gett high on bupropion and getting seizures. As far as i know, it has not much abuse potential.

Hi there dupius, sorry I've been away from the forums a while.

I don't think (at least as far as I know) there's any concern about people trying to get "high" on it. Just typical controlled substance procedures they have for any prescription drug. What I was suggesting, though, is to see if you can get a real, bricks-and-mortar Canadian pharmacy to communicate directly with your existing doctor/psychiatrist. I would think that as long as the prescription can be verified, you should be able to get it filled.

On March 7, 2016 at 7:41 PM, dupius said:

Is Wellbutrin OTC in any part of Canada?

I'll be traveling some weeks through Canada and I am afraid a foreign prescription would be almost like having nothing. But it might happen that I'd need to buy some. I could lose the pills, or they might forbid me to taking a certain amount of pill over the border. The prospect of being without Wellbutrin is horrifying for me. So, hence the question.

I've taken Wellbutrin to and from Canada, just my prescription--and have never had a problem. I have also taken Xanax to Canada and to France--again, just my prescription, but no one considers it an issue, I guess.

I've also traveled from Canada with OTC pain medicine that contained some codeine, if I recall correctly. It was like Tylenol, with caffeine and codeine. Weird combination and no one stopped me at passport control into the U.S. (Sorry for the boldface type, my computer is giving me problems!)