Sign in to follow this  
stacey112109

Success! I quit Effexor Xr cold turkey!

I posted something about day three that says hidden. Not sure why. But I’m on day 4 now. Shakes and nausea and brain zaps still exist. I wish they didn’t but mentally I feel better today. CBD is helping a lot. I have not been eating much at all but when I force myself it seems to help a bit. 

Staying strong 

-ROTO 

Okie dokie. 

Day 3

sleeping has been pretty easy for me. Dreams are vivid though. Am really hungry but don’t want to eat much because puking annoys me. With that said, the CBD I’ve been using is saving me. The things it can help with are almost too good to be true. 

With that said I feel mentally better today. Less frustrated. I do have brain zaps bad. I feel nausea but less than yesterday. 

Drinking seltzer with cbd tincture in it, eating crackers watching the office and laying down. 

If yesterday was 15% I would say today I feel about 45%. I think I’m actually doing it! 

Staying strong.

-ROTO 

Oh the shortness of breath is super real too. Can’t even walk across my apartment without feeling exhausted. How do I start to fix that I wonder? 

Day 5.

yesterday I actually ate two meals! Brain zaps are slowing. Mentally I feel great. Dizziness is fading to much shorter episodes with much more time in between. Gonna try to drive today as I don’t really have a choice. Benadryl last night knocked me out so I got good sleep too. 

Still taking cbd in generous amounts as it has been really good to me. I suspect in another day or two I’ll feel almost back to normal. 

What they say is true, after the third day you’re on your way. 

Fight the great fight 

- ROTO 

I've quit many medications cold turkey.  It's the worst hell I could ever imagine going through.  Never again.  At a certain point I realized meds don't work for me so I will never take another one.

19 hours ago, SquareOne said:

Why is it so popular to cold turkey this drug?  Why would you do that to yourself if you don't have toi?

for some, tapering off the medication slowly will cause the same exact withdrawal effects. plus tapering can last up to a year or even more depending on how much youre taking. for me, having a hell week was a quick and easy form of security knowing i could be finally rid of effexor. i personally felt like i had to do it cold turkey or else id remain as addicted as any narcotic addict. i just was tired of my own excuses. inducing the anxiety i was trying to alleviate obviously was of no help. but if youre able to taper off, its definitely safer and more preferable! ultimately the choice is yours and whatever way works for you is totally supported here

Success!!! 

There is hope! I was on Effexor for only 3.5 months. I was diagnosed with General anxiety disorder and severe depression. At my last appointment which was last week Wednesday, I talked to my Dr about getting off this drug because I was always so tired, dull and wanted nothing but my bed as soon as I got home from work. Even eating healthy and exercising, I was gaining weight and could not find energy! They decided they wanted me to stop taking Effexor the next day cold turkey but start zoloft to begin the weaning process on Sunday. 

So... I had other plans. Just the first day was hell. Brain zaps, dizziness, feeling like I was living outside of my body. By the next day it was so bad I was afraid to drive. I was coming home from work and stopped in a parking lot to have my husband come get me because I couldn't focus on the road. I was terrified. Saturday (day 3) began nausea, brain zaps every 30 seconds and more dizziness. At this point I felt as though I struggled enough and if I was going to ever get off drugs completely, I was not going to begin another one. So Sunday came when I was supposed to fill my new prescription but I wasn't having it. That day, I commenced to helping a friend get her house cleaned and prepped to sell and honestly, working hard and focusing on something really helped the dizziness. So I kept going. Day 5, back to work. Still had brain zaps and I was getting tired of it. I did some research and found that people were saying that omega 3 fish oil, magnesium, vitamin b, vitamin d3 all helped when it came to the symptoms. So I went out and bought them. I also ordered this coffee from a friend called elevate smart coffee and xanthomax dietary supplement, both are for general mood support. Day 6, I took just the fish oil and it helped some with the brain zaps but by the end of the day I had a terrible headache. 

Day 7 guys! This is it! ♥ I took all of the listed supplements with the coffee and xanthomax and let me tell you... It was THE BEST DAY I have ever had in a very long time. Clear focus, great mood, tons of energy. There was honestly never one single day that Effexor made me feel as good as I did on day 7... Which was yesterday! 😊 Im writing this before taking my supplements on day 8 and I still feel really good. No dizzy spells this morning. I'm really looking forward to a drug free life! You can do it!!! 

Hi guys,

I’m so glad I stumbled upon this site and thread! I’m sitting at home today on day 3 of no Effexor XR. I’ve been on 75mg for quite a number of years now. It’s difficult to know if it’s actually been making much difference in my life but after discussions with my fiancé and after developing sone healthier life habits, I decided I no longer needed or wanted to take this stuff anymore. I should point out that I have managed to withdraw from Effexor before a few years ago without too much drama, that said, I’ve also experienced some terrible symptoms both after missing a dose or attempting to discontinue the drug  previously too. So how have I been going this time around? Well I started a slow taper maybe 6-8 weeks ago resulting in me only taking 37.5mg every other day. I then reduced it to two days without a pill. That’s when I started to feel the effects. The dizziness and fatigue started but also my mood was low and I was incredibly irritable. Tiny little things were making me angry. After my mood settled, I decided that I had come this far and it was time to pull the bandaid off and plough through. 

I went to work yesterday (day 2) but found I was unable to concentrate, plus I’ve gotten a head cold on top of things. So today (day 3) I’ve stayed at home to ride it out. Fortunately tomorrow is a public holiday in Australia too, so another day of rest. Today I feel a little tired and dizzy but my overall mood is actually not too bad. My head aches and feels very heavy and concentration is difficult but I’m optimistic that I’ll be able to head back to work on Friday before having the weekend again to further rest up. 

It’s so amazing to have a forum like this where we can support each other and share tips and our experiences! 

Ps - I just tried fish oil capsules, so will see if that helps the symptoms.

cheers guys

I started Effexor 6 days ago and now believe it was a mistake, I plan on going cold turkey beginning tonight. Please send good thoughts my way. I’m hoping since I have only been on it 6 days that my withdraw will not be too difficult 

I am on day 4 of no effexor xr 75 mg. I was prescribed this 7 months ago for debilitating anxiety with regular panic attacks. When I began the medication, I felt relief after about 2 weeks. The relief I felt was so great, I encouraged others to consider it as an option for anxiety symptoms. Effexor XR helped manage my whirly and obsessive thought patterns. I felt much more chipper and didn't let things bother me so much. My emotions were pretty well under control, I did notice that I cried a lot less. After about 5 or 6 months I noticed it wasn't working as well. For some reason the drug was making me nauseous throughout the day. I decided it was time to quit effexor xr. I am a regular user of cannabis, and had been playing around with my doses throughout the past 7 months. Cannabis is legal in my province, and I also have a medical prescription to use it for anxiety. 2 or 3 weeks ago I started to take my effexor xr 75 mg every other day. The next week or so I took half a capsule every other day. And today I am on my 4th day of no effexor. My symptoms include brain zaps (I don't feel bothered by these-but I do notice the sensation) some nausea, possibly and increased appetite for sweets, lots of weepiness and difficulty controlling my reactivity (trying to stay away from people at work who trigger me so I don't react or say something inappropriate), I've lost the awesome vivid dream worlds that were so significant on the drug (I loved this side effect of effexor), loose stools and general spacey feeling. concentrating seems a bit of a challenges sometimes, as well as articulating. So far, not too bad. It's great to read about other's experiences'-this has helped me a lot.