Sign in to follow this  
stacey112109

Success! I quit Effexor Xr cold turkey!

Hello all! For those who are wanting to quit this AWFUL drug and want to know if anyone has done it cold turkey and survived lol, here's my story.

I've been on Effexor Xr for a year, started at 37.5 and ended at 225mg. I began taking this for hot flashes after hysterectomy and panic attacks.  Although it did stop my hot flashes, this drug made me have no emotions,  tired all the time and made it hard to have an orgasm,  I'm 35yrs old! That was unacceptable!  So I'm on day 10 of absolutely NO Effexor.  I woke up and said "I want ME back!" I changed my diet and began a vitamin routine as follows. 

Triple Omega 3 (you need lots of)3X/day

Ginger Root 3X/day (brain shocks)

VitaminD3 liquid 4 drops  4x/day

A very good all natural vitamin, I bought all mine at GNC, they need to be good quality.  Get a juicer and blender, make your own organic juices and smoothies,  magnesium and potassium are nutrients you need right now, as well as Omega 3 lots of omega 3.  My diet consists of: salmon,  tuna, grilled chicken, baby kale and spinach,  carrots, avacado (great source of magnesium),  celery, cucumbers,  bananas,  strawberries,  pineapples, oranges, apples, mango, kiwis, coconut almond milk,  lots and lots of water. NO sugar No Soda. The first 4 days are going to be HEll, take off work for a week if possible,  driving is not a good idea during those days due to the "brain shocks",short fuse and sensory overload, because your brain is trying to work like its suppose to without that drug being there. But i promise , you will survive and feel human. I feel great! Energy and I laugh, like almost pee myself laugh, haven't done that in a very long time. I know you will be tempted to take "that" drug, but tell yourself "Drugs will not control me, I control me, I am a damn strong person!" Also I have lost 8lbs! That Effexor belly is going away! Feel free to message me for more info, support or withdrawal symptom that is bothering you and I'm sure I had it and found a way to stop it. Thanks and YOU can do it!

Omg this is so inspiring and empowering for me! I've wanted to quit taking Effexor for so long, but I'm just super scared because sometimes I still have those down days even with my medication, you know? Like even though the side effects are s***ty, at least I don't want to die? I don't know. I'm still torn.

Hi Stacey. Thank you for sharing your experience. Do I understand correctly that you stopped 225mg of Effexor cold turkey? That is my dosage as well (in addition to 200 mg Bupropion). I have to stop mine due to insurance changes that makes it unaffordable to me. I can't afford to go back to my doctor for the opportunity to slowly taper off of it. I've missed dosages before and know firsthand how terrible the withdraw can be. I'm really frightened to do this. Your post gives me hope. Did you research the topic before stopping your medication? If so would you share your resources? I trust your advice but need as much support as I can get to do this. I have two more weeks of medication before I quit cold turkey. Any additional help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. I'm also wondering how long you continued to take the vitamins, etc.

Edited by Rose0691

Hi stacey I would love to talk with you about your quitting effexor xr cold turkey. I'm on day 3 of quitting cold turkey 225mg of effexor. I have uncontrollably bouts of crying. I feel like I'm on a boat that's in wavy water. Im a huge brain fog and can't walk or turn too fast with dizziness and nausea. How long for the symptoms to go away? I feel like dog poo and want to see the light and know I'm at the worst it'll be and now it will get better.

I await your response 

I'm saddened that this user created an account, posted once, and disappeared. 

However, I was a 1 year user at 150mg, tapered a week at 75, then 6 days of Pristiq @ 50mg, and now I'm on day 3 of nothing.  The suggested omega 3's, vitamin D, and a good multivitamin have been what I've been doing (3x250mg omega 3 capsules 3x daily, 10,000u of vit D plus lots of daily sunshine and fresh air, and a men's Centrum daily multivid) and so far so good.  I'm still kind of zappy here and there, but things have been pretty good so far. 

I'm hopeful that they stay on track..

Update! 

May 16th - zaps are almost completely gone!  The supplements mentioned above have been awesome and helpful, but something else I noticed... STAY AWAY FROM SUGAR. Particularly soda (pop, coke, wherever you live..) has been awful for me.. a few sips and the zapping comes back soon after.  

Staying on top of the symptoms has been the best thing I could do; loads of water, omega 3's, vitamin B and huuuuge doses of D (3,000 iu multiple times a day) has been key for me so far. 

Sleeplessness peaked around 1 week off, but continues to improve.  

I notice also that my caffeine sensitivity is much higher now too.. so I've been cutting back on that as well. 

So there we go.. Effexor detox is possible with the right steps and tapering. For anyone going through it, I encourage you to stay strong and if you need to chat with someone about what you are going through, please dont hesitate to hit me up!

I realize that my length of time and dosage may not be as high as some people (1 year at 150mg), but I understand the seriousness of the withdrawal, and believe that you can get through it! I thought at first that I was going to die, or be stuck forever suffering from the zaps and vertigo/nausea/emotional outbursts. :(  

SUMMARY:  Omega3 + Vitamin B + lots of Vitamin D + lots of water - all processed sugar and soda = hope to detox from Effexor. 

On Fri Apr 01 2016 at 11:33 AM, ShannielleFaith said:

Omg this is so inspiring and empowering for me! I've wanted to quit taking Effexor for so long, but I'm just super scared because sometimes I still have those down days even with my medication, you know? Like even though the side effects are s***ty, at least I don't want to die? I don't know. I'm still torn.

Hey, you don't need to feel bad about any of this. If the starter of this thread can do this, so can you! I have some free time these days, I'm dropping my Facebook profile, feel free to text me if you need a friend (the relationship is mutual if you agree to be my friend ;) )

*Fb link removed*

Edited by Natasha1
Link in violation of ToS

Help!

After being on 150 mg for over a year (and 75 for a few years before that), I dropped down to 75 mg.  I did that for a week and I felt ok.  Because of my work schedule I need to get off as quickly as I can physically stand.  So I went from 75 to NOTHING three days ago.  So far I am following the protocol that I have read about online - lots of Omega-3, B vitamins, a good multivitamin and Advil.  I am also taking some benedryl at night and trying to drink lots of water and eat clean.  Today is day 3 and the withdrawal effects are getting pretty bad.  I just finished vomiting long enough to make this post.  All the documented withdrawal effects are getting worse each day.

I am off work for another month so I want to power through it.  But now I am wondering if I should go back and taper more slowly?  Am I doing myself more harm now? The reason I didn't taper like that is because I don't want to drag out these awful effects if I can just be strong enough and endure it.  My job involves lots of driving so months of these effects is not an option. Everything I have read says you have the bad effects even with slow tapering.  So why drag it out?

Do I keep going cold turkey?  I am not sure I made the right decision. 

Any support or advice is appreciated!  My family thinks I should stay on Effexor forever and that doesn't help when I am struggling.

Hello Everyone,

I've had some rough times, but i guess thats for a different thread huh? 

Update Day 3 72 hrs since an Effexor 75mg tablet, I do believe the worst has past. The "brain zaps" are still there does anyone know of anything for that?  I just smoke CBD and it helps but only for a couple of hours then they return. The vomiting has finally stopped, only thing i can say that helped was small portions of what your body craves whether its hot foods or cold. the diarrhea has slowed ALOT now its just multiple soft stools. (mind you i'm someone who has constipation issues) My body is still in process of regulating its own temp.... at work its difficult to get much done so take a week off, its been rough working fulltime, fulltime mother of 3, and wife. All the symptoms are still there but they do seem to get better plus dayquil nyquil helps a lot.

Quitting cold turkey isn't a great idea. I did it once and ended up in the hospital, because I thought I was going crazy. Like someone else said talk to your doctor because it can have severe withdrawal effects and dangerous to your physical and mental health.

Hi all, 

I am really looking for some advice! I’ve been taking Venlafaxine for 4 months now, started on 150mg and now take 225mg. I haven’t felt well on them at all, I feel hot all the time and am sweating when others are cold. I’ve felt really dizzy for days at a time and my heart sometimes feels like it’s going to burst. In the last couple of days I’ve reached the end of the tether with it all and I just want to feel normal again! Emotionally I’m in a good place and I’d like to stop taking Ven altogether. I halved my morning dose this morning and can honestly say I feel awful! If this is day 1 and with a half dose and medication still in my system, how much worse will it get? I feel really sick and dizzy and as though I’m not really here. 

Ive been out at stocked up on benadryl, vitamin D and omega 3 so I’m ready to take on the withdrawal. I’m strong and fully believe I can get through this but wondered as to those of you who have come down from 225mg and how you’re feeling now? 

If I half my dose to 75mg in the morning and 37.5mg in the evening is this sensible? And if I do this for two weeks before cutting down further? Ideally id like to just go cold turkey but I don’t want to end up worse off! 

Any advice is much appreciated. I’ve never felt anything like this before - coming off citalopram was so much easier! 

Thanks, Jem xx

Hi Jem,

I posted here last July about 3 days into my withdrawal.  You can read it above to see I went from 75 to nothing and it was hell. But I can tell you it WILL GET BETTER! It will all be worth it!! But I was very sick for about a week. I couldn’t have done it without my husbands help.  I let others think I had the flu because I couldn’t drive or even get out of the house. The entire month of July was rough (but manageable) but the worst was the first week. I had horrible brain zaps (Omega 3s helped) and nausea and vomiting.  I tried to eat pretty clean and I took multivitamins and B vitamins. I tried to go to bed early (took benedryl to help with that) and basically slept as much as I could. 

Now, almost a year later, I am SO glad I powered through!! I cannot imagine going through that again so I am glad I didn’t take them again. For me, the timing was that I needed to go cold turkey from 75 to nothing. If you don’t have at least a week to be bed ridden, going slower might be the better option. 

I feel things now. The first week of withdrawal I would cry for no reason and immediately laugh so hard I peed. It’s like my brain couldn’t figure out what to feel! But now that I am completely off them I am much more present. My husband says I smile and laugh more.  I knew the meds were numbing the sadness/anxiety but I didn’t know they were numbing the happiness, too! 

Feel free to reply with any questions! Good luck, YOU CAN DO THIS!! 

Thank you so much for replying - especially as this is something I’m sure you would rather not relive. I’m trying to go cold turkey, emotionally I’m in a solid place and I’m stronger than I’ve ever been. Today is the first day without any Venlafaxine having taken a half dose yesterday. It hasn’t been hell, I’m expecting that to arrive over the next few days. I feel very dizzy and as though my eyes can’t focus but not sick like I did yesterday which is a bonus. Once you made it through July, did you feel 100% (wishful thinking probably I know). Im jumping in headfirst with a belly full of omega three, benadryl and vitamins and hoping for the best! Thank you for your lovely support! 

Yes, I would say I felt fine by August! And a year later I can’t remember how bad it was so that’s good! 

The omegas really help with the dizzy/eye movement. I think I was taking 6 a day for the first week! 

Just quit cold turkey for the second time in my life and it’s day 7. This past week has been hell but I’m hanging in there. I’m just really struggling with the nausea now. Benadryl is God sent for the nausea. I take one and mostly sleep during the day. Had to take this week off work. Couldn’t get any school work done either ugh. But it’s all worth this pain in the end. I already feel like my old self is coming back. Effexor XR was great when first starting out but it completely changed my personality this time around. This drug helps but the long term side effects are scary. 

On generic effexor xr for a month and a half.  Turned me into a complete zombie and all I wanted to do was sleep.  Went cold turkey and on 2nd day no meds.  Only symptom I seem to have is vertigo type withdrawal.  Seems like everyone says its more like being dope sick.  I actually feel better getting out of house exercising or going to work.  Is this just the beginning and hell is around corner? Or am I just lucky?

Edited by jlove
typo

On 10/24/2018 at 3:57 PM, jlove said:

On generic effexor xr for a month and a half.  Turned me into a complete zombie and all I wanted to do was sleep.  Went cold turkey and on 2nd day no meds.  Only symptom I seem to have is vertigo type withdrawal.  Seems like everyone says its more like being dope sick.  I actually feel better getting out of house exercising or going to work.  Is this just the beginning and hell is around corner? Or am I just lucky?

How are you feeling now? How many mg were you taking? I quit cold turkey 150mg last month and it was a long, process. I was fine until day 2 and after that everything went downhill (mostly the worst nausea and brain zaps of my life)  but after a week and a half to 2 weeks I started feeling much better. The drug was ******* me mentally, I had to quit because even my psychiatrist wasn’t listening. Hang in there and you can do it!! 

Feeling real good considering what I have read about others cold turkey stories.  First 30 days I was on 37.5mg then next 45 days was 75mg.  My problem was with my mentality, I was enjoying my dream world more then the real world.  The dreams on effexor were amazing!!!!!  Doc said it would get me pep in the morning....nope.  Exact opposite.  I had no desire, no initiative to do anything but sleep.  

I'm 5 days clean of it and feel so much better.  Day 3 was the worst with vertigo.  A little bit of nauseau but CBD oil fixed that right up.  Now just dealing with the vertigo.  Lessening though.  Glad I stopped when I did.

Fwiw, I got off Effexor XR 225mg about 3-4 months ago. I didn’t do cold turkey but I tapered over 4-6 weeks.  Went from 225 to 150 to 75 to 37.5 to ~18 and then 0.  It all went ridiculously well and I don’t think I had any bad effects.  In fact, I felt kind of cheated because it made me wonder why I wasted so much time on the med.  But I turned out well (getting off the meds) because I got off Effexor and it was extremely easy.

Now, maybe I should be back on them because waiting around to see another day is an unending battle, one which I am losing miserably.

Been on 225mg of Effexor XR for about three years. I am on day five (5) ish? I think? The withdrawal has been so bad that I was unable to keep track of what day its been. I had to quit cold turkey due to me losing health insurance between jobs. When I start working again on Monday, I plan to evaluate going on a different antidepressant or none altogether. But for now, I will say the 48-72hr period is the absolute WORST. The brain zaps were constant and I would've caved into another dose if I had the access. Not that I have ever done heroin, but I would easily equate the withdrawal symptoms. My kidneys hurt like they were being strangled to death. Cold sweats and hot flashes. Shivering. Yikes.

Days 4 and 5 so far have been a transition from brain zaps to the common brain hiccup. So less physical, more psychological. Certainly plenty of wishy washy crying spells, but if you pay attention to the time of your normal dose, its MUCH easier to talk yourself through an hour of peak symptoms for the day. For instance, I always took my doses upon "that two o clock feeling" in the afternoon. Struggling through the agony, realizing that 2-4ish was beyond horrible consequently allowed me to motivate myself to 5 o clock, knowing it wouldnt last forever, and it wouldnt be increasing in intensity for the next wave.

The digestive distress is still rough, but if you are like me and live in a state that permits the use of cannibis, that stuff has been helping a lot. Insomnia is still terrible, but after enduring hypersomnia with Effexor, I am glad that my body is shifting towards a happy medium. I have been holding out on a lot of "treats" so today I am testing out Nyquil and then will test out Benedryl, Omega 3s, Vitamins B and D, etc.

Exercise will exasburbate, however, I am guessing you would just detox and sweat out the stuff all the faster. Day 4ish I tried carrying a 24-can pack of soda home and I barely made the 10 min walk. I was sweating bulleta, crying, and had at least three people ask of I needed help lol. Im not a wimp either haha so note on muscle tone there.

Thinking of stopping Effexor? Talk to your doctor and remember YOU GOT THISS!!!

Okay. I was not going to post as I came here to read and learn... and find some more will to fight this terrible, terrible withdrawal I’m in right now. 

I have been taking 150mg of Venlafaxine for about three or four years. Over the time I knew that it was helping me with anxiety and depression but didn’t realize it was taking over my body and my personality. I have been feeling much better lately, so I told my doctor and decided to lower the dose. I took a lower dose for about a month, but then got a new job and found out I was going to have about three weeks off. 

When I start my new job, I want to be me. I don’t want to be sick and I don’t want to be a dud. 

So, two days ago I stopped cold turkey. 

I’ll start with this. God speed. 

Stomach pains and head pains were the first to come. Day 1 was mainly that, but I had brain zaps and nausea like crazy. Diarrhea was crummy too. I smoke weed so I did that with my distillate pen, and I bought some CBD edibles at the store. I have also been eating ginger too. The CBD is purely the most helpful thing with a ton of the symptoms including the nausea and the sweating. 

Day 2 is today. I want to shoot myself. Nausea is taking over. Puking violently for a bit as well. I could honestly deal with the body pains and the sweating and the mood swings but I just don’t want this damned nausea and vomiting anymore. 

For about a half hour today I thought to myself. Go and get that prescription and call your doctor to tell him you need to ween off it properly. A voice in my head said, don’t go back on the medication just to try to get off. You came this far. You got this. If you can do this KNOWING that there’s a better way the entire time; you can do anything. 

So since I came this far - 48 hours haha - I’m going to stick with it and fight. I keep reading that the first few days are the worst. I hope that’s true. I keep telling myself that when I feel better and look back at this, it will be enlightening. 

Thanks to this network- I’m going to try a few more things like Benadryl etc. I’m also definitely not going to have as much sugar. I’ve been drinking a ton of coffee thinking it was good for me (and because I love coffee) but after reading here I’m going to stop for a bit with the caffeine. The only thing I wish I could bring myself to do now is ****ing eat something that’s not crackers or rice cakes. But I just can’t mentally. Puking food up just ruins food for you... 

I will be sure to keep checking in here, as I want to share this with others. I am going to beat this. I am not going to let this history of medication define me. I’m going to get ME back. And I can’t wait. Eyes on the prize. **** you venlafaxine ! 

-ROTO 

Edited by ROTO

Oh I also want to say. I’ve been watching the office. Talking to my closest friends about my experience. My girlfriend lives with me and she’s being supportive and watching over me. And my two dogs have been comforting me like crazy. Don’t forget about the little things that will make time go by faster while waiting for these stupid symptoms to go away. 

- ROTO 

2 minutes ago, ROTO said:

Oh I also want to say. I’ve been watching the office. Talking to my closest friends about my experience. My girlfriend lives with me and she’s being supportive and watching over me. And my two dogs have been comforting me like crazy. Don’t forget about the little things that will make time go by faster while waiting for these stupid symptoms to go away. 

- ROTO 

You got this!

As a follow up to my original post, I'll confirm that the first week is physiological, the second week is psychological, and the third week is sort of a final calibration, which you feel a bit off, but compared to the previous two weeks, it's like a mild form of brain fog.

ANYONE--IF YOUVE MADE IT AT LEAST 72HRS DONT GIVE UP! The worst will be over! Trust me! As soon as I finally got it all out of my system, I got the ACTUAL flu and it felt like nothing compared to an effexor xr withdrawal.

Hang in there, and please feel free to reply to my posts or tag me in yours if you have questions--keeping in mind IM NOT A DOCTOR but i am a patient just like you :)

1 hour ago, stacenshakes said:

You got this!

As a follow up to my original post, I'll confirm that the first week is physiological, the second week is psychological, and the third week is sort of a final calibration, which you feel a bit off, but compared to the previous two weeks, it's like a mild form of brain fog.

ANYONE--IF YOUVE MADE IT AT LEAST 72HRS DONT GIVE UP! The worst will be over! Trust me! As soon as I finally got it all out of my system, I got the ACTUAL flu and it felt like nothing compared to an effexor xr withdrawal.

Hang in there, and please feel free to reply to my posts or tag me in yours if you have questions--keeping in mind IM NOT A DOCTOR but i am a patient just like you 🙂

Thank you! It feels good to know this forum has active members that I can discuss with while I go through this. I’m currently writing right after a pretty bad vomit session lol. A friend of mine just came by, he works in the medical marijuana industry and he dropped off some more CBD products for me. I can NOT stress enough that if you’re open minded about remedies and what not, the CBD is life changing. 

Its not going to eliminate any of the withdrawal affects by any means but it certainly alleviates a lot of them. 

tomorrow is a new day. Tomorrow is day 3. I am praying for a decent sleep tonight and I will report back tomorrow friends. 

Thank you for being there. 

-ROTO