My dog passed away

DustyRoad

vMac's gone. He was my dog. He suddenly died. Everything in my life is now missing some part. I have no joy.

Mac may not have had a bad pancreas, but I think so. The last vets that saw him didn't think so, because he was very active and wasn't sickly. 

In the spring, before that, I took him to the dog park. And he'd run like crazy with the other dogs for twenty minutes then would start to gag and spit up. I just thought, well I didn't know what to think, as he'd be fine right away. I stopped taking Mac to the dog park, thinking he caught some germs from the other dogs. I kept an eye on him. he still would cough up but not as bad as at the park. Then he saw the vet. The vet said to get him a walking harness to help his throat. Then of course he was very good. 

He coughed, spit up and got winded.  I took him in to the vet, we'd be walking and he'd just lay down in August. I'd carry him back home in my arms. He seemed fine again at home. He was always ready to play. 

The time was in August, I carried him home from the walk around the lake, he was bad though. The next day he wouldn't go outside or walk around or eat or drink. Plus he hadn't gone potty for three days. In fact he wasn't eating or drinking at all. He just laid in his bed. During the day I was at work. Marizete said he was whimpering. When I got home he was just moaning in pain. I already made a appointment. I then asked if he should be put down. The vet took x-rays. He had signs of one lung having an pneumonia. He moaned when his stomach was pressed. 

They gave him an anti-biotic, morphine drops and a cough suppressant and a shot of fluids in his back. He wasn't a happy dog. Then, the meds helped, and all was fine again. Remember that was in August 2015. The Dx was pancreatitis. I believe that was a good dx. All his symptoms fit exactly at the time. We changed to a low fat diet. 

Then in December he started to show me that he was getting the same way. He got a few meds, got well very quickly. The vet said I caught him before he got really bad, like he did in August. We gave him, ID food, and it was the answer, plus Pepcid. All was great again. He would still breathe in heavy gulps when playing. It was winter so he didn't run outside. He was okay as far as I could see. 

Then in early January he wouldn't walk normally. It was like a stiff neck. Vet saw that his ear was badly infected. Why? no answers. Again antibiotics and a shot of whatever and they said to give him the morphine drops for the pain. He was in such pain too. He got well. 

Soon all was almost, back to normal with Mac Boy. I remember he started to regurgitate right after drinking water. I didn't see him do this before, but he stopped that soon enough or it wasn't constant. But that's when I think his esophagus was infected also. He might of had a tight muscle there too. On hindsight, I think he had both problems developing all the time. So he'd effortlessly spit up when eating or drinking, but then get it down like a normal Mac. 

The minute he got the least bit excited he'd cough. Then I was told he had a birth defect,namely a narrow esophagus. That the tube you eat and breathe through. It got infected, and he died. 
I still can't come to grips with the truth. He was my boy. 

So here I sit writing, which helps somehow. I suffer from depression. I feel so sad. Help.

At times I just can't believe

Edited by DustyRoad
typing error

I am sorry for your loss. It is a very difficult thing to do. But you were a great owner and I am sure he was an equally great companion. 

They are family. They are part of our lives and part of ownership is knowing they will not near puns forever. 

My current dog is 13 and I spent every minute I can having good times and creating memories that will be there forever. 

You are grieving but be sure to take care of yourself please. 

Thank You-Everyone-

I'm still thinking about Mac.Just Like Wrenn said there is no greater friend on earth as a good dog. I was a good owner, thanks. Only will miss him for the rest of my life :-( . Mac was so much fun!

His breed is very alert and active. Every who saw him commented on his joy and playfulness. He was a fast runner who was always looking for other dogs and squirrels. Rabit were always running away from him. 

Dusty56d9bc99e86ce_IMG_5478(774x800).thumb.jp

It's the morning, not the bet time of days for me. I've been keeping my memories of my dog Mac as fresh as if he was still alive. I have this empty feeling inside my soul since he passed away. All I can think of to ease my hurting feelings is that my best buddy, Mac, had a serious health issue, whose time had come. It's really hard to understand as he was so energetic right to the end. I miss him so so much.

I'm late but I'm sorry for your loss. Dusty was a nice looking dog. I'm still reeling from the loss of my rabbits last year and I can relate - the oldest(about 10yrs old) was acting weird for months. No vets could find anything wrong with him except "it's just age". Well later he couldn't move/eat on his own anymore. They found a tumor that unfortunately can't be removed.

Pets are your friends, and like any loved one, it hurts to see them go. Start over when you are ready - I'm sure Dusty wouldn't want you to be alone.

4 hours ago, Twilight Sky said:

I'm late but I'm sorry for your loss. Dusty was a nice looking dog. 

Pets are your friends, and like any loved one, it hurts to see them go. 

Thank you. Mac, (not Dusty), was  the best in every way. 

IMG_4949.JPG

I've read that pets are not only family members, but in many ways the ideal family member. Unconditional love, no judgement, no expectation (except maybe for a butt scratch or a treat). I know that my dog has gotten me through more than one tough night when the darkness of depression was all but smothering. In a way I think dogs embody the best of our traits, I've certainly found my dog to be more human than a lot of people I meet.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's a cruel twist of their ancestry that causes them to be so short lived in general compared to us... but try to take solace in the fact that you loved him and it sounds like he would have been hard pressed to have a better life anywhere else. You made him happy, you made him loved... and in the end that is truly the only and greatest gift we can give them in return for their unwavering companionship and loyalty.

I wish you all the best.

When my cat Jamie whom I had for 19 years passed away, the Rainbow Bridge poem and website helped me immensely.

Here is the link to the website where there are pet loss forums:

*link removed*

And here is the poem:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Edited by Natasha1
Link in violation of ToS

On March 11, 2016 at 4:22 PM, Dog said:

I've read that pets are not only family members, but in many ways the ideal family member. Unconditional love, no judgement, no expectation (except maybe for a butt scratch or a treat). I know that my dog has gotten me through more than one tough night when the darkness of depression was all but smothering. In a way I think dogs embody the best of our traits, I've certainly found my dog to be more human than a lot of people I meet.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's a cruel twist of their ancestry that causes them to be so short lived in general compared to us... but try to take solace in the fact that you loved him and it sounds like he would have been hard pressed to have a better life anywhere else. You made him happy, you made him loved... and in the end that is truly the only and greatest gift we can give them in return for their unwavering companionship and loyalty.

I wish you all the best.

Very true and I thank you for the thoughts. He had a defective esophagus from birth. Hardly missed a frisbee toss.

I was only apparent that something was wrong the last few months. Then he fought it off until the end.

Loved to fetch and play with the soccer ball. He did have the best 4 years with me. I seldom did anything without him except going to work. I even took hm to work several times. 

i had to put my best friend of ~20 years down last summer. Myself and my few friends expected me to crash hard...but i somehow handled it better than i could have ever imagined. i buried Snoop in a beautiful place out in the woods on a hill in the sunlight. i go and visit him as often as i can- i tell him how much i miss him and i talk about my struggles... and often i just cry. It is good exercise to make the hike and every time i make it (often with my two boys) we pick up a shiny rock along the way to build up his cairn.

Pets can definitely make the best people. i have been tempted and close, but still cannot bring myself to get another (my piranha doesn't count since he is most un-cuddly!)

Also i totally understand how you can latch the sadness to something. i definitely do the same.

Stay strong my friend.

2 minutes ago, easyrichboy said:

i buried Snoop in a beautiful place out in the woods on a hill in the sunlight. i go and visit him as often as i can- i tell him how much i miss him and i talk about my struggles... and often i just cry. It is good exercise to make the hike and every time i make it (often with my two boys) we pick up a shiny rock along the way to build up his cairn.

Thanks, your a true friend to take the walk often to think of Snoop. Nice story you've shared. He's been gone for two months. I dreamt of the two of us getting ready for a car ride this morning. That was the first dream I had of him. He was happy and waiting to get into the car.

My condolences to you losing Mac.  I can only reiterate what other members said.  It sounds like Mac was a wonderful dog, your dedicated companion, and you in turn a loving owner.  Losing an animal to me is almost as tragic as losing a person.  I myself had a dog I loved from a puppy stolen, never could find him.  And a cat I had for 8 years I had to give up because the apartments did not allow pets.  I was fortunate to have her that long.  But I found her a great home, but to this day I still miss her and my dog Sitka.

Allow yourself to grieve as long as it takes.  There is no time limit on grieving as far as I am concerned.

I get how you feel and I feel your hurt.  

Support is always here when you need it.

Take good care,  High Anxiety

Edited by highanxiety

2 hours ago, easyrichboy said:

Memories and photos. The bond you two shared is obvious.

The pain of loss does eventually fade- it is replaced with something that hurts less.

Welcome to the forum easyrichboy.  I liked your responses to DustyRoad concerning his loss.  And your sharing your experiences and Snoop.  A beautiful cat.

Once again welcome!

On 3/12/2016 at 7:33 PM, easyrichboy said:

This is Snoop by the way. He is/was my longest-lasting friend on this earth.

i totally get it.

20140701_133759.jpg

Hello, He is some handsome boy. I just assumed Snoop was a dog. I seldom heard of many dogs living twenty years. Great eyes that look right into your soul. All of the Rat Terriers in the special book have intelligent eyes. My Mac and all of them love to play. I feel I could have done something to help my boy, I know he'd be missing a playful life. One time he chased one back into the water, bit the tail of this long fat black water snake, then he swallowed it in a few bites. I was so mad at him as he was already having tummy trouble, but as you can see that was my Mac Boy.

snake.jpeg.jpg

Totally understand and empathize.  Just now signed up here this moment.  Your post caught my eye <and brought tears to my eyes>  b/c...  Well, my display name may say it all "SkyDog".  Whom I rescued years ago passed away almost 5 years ago.  Of course (!!!) I still miss her!  She was one of many 4-legged FAMILY that I have lost over the years.

I have found that the best way to recover is to get another!  If you can...  Where I live - Nope!

Loved your comments!  Stay strong!