Sign in to follow this  
shiznit76

alternatives to SSRI's

Hi, I' have tried 3 different SSRI's and venlafaxine and none have worked for me. I have gave them all over 3 months to work , but they don't seemed to have did anything for me. I have did CBT,  exercise and try to meditate, but still live almost constantly anxious. What else can I do? I feel I need a medicinal route as it would appear to be a genetic/hereditary issue that it stems from with me. Has anyone else found that SSRI's don't work for them?

I have taken almost every single anti depressant in the market and none worked for me. MAOIs, SSRIs SNRIs, even ECT. They me feel worse and left me with a horrific feeling. Exhausted of options, my psychiatrist accused me of not wanting to get well. I wanted to start a thread asking if there is anyone out there like me where anti depressants dont work for them but sadly I didnt make any efforts to do so cos what difference does it make? Anti depressants do not work on me and I have to continue living this life of mine. It has been 4 months since I stopped seeing my psy. No point. Not getting any better at all. just functional.

Sorry, I just saw this more recent post...

I take Seroquel, which is technically an atypical antipsychotic. My anxiety is PTSD-related, which is different than GAD or panic disorder. I take it in two forms: immediate and extended release, both at night.

The immediate release helps me to sleep, and the extended release seems to lower my threshold of excitability or agitation. It also makes my memory a bit harder to access, which lessens triggers. Without it, I can't sleep at all, and my skin feels like there is electricity just under the surface all day. Eventually my muscles ache from being tense all the time. That's how I feel without it, so I'm grateful to have something that works.

I haven't skimmed any other of your posts. What type of anxiety do you have?

General anxiety, can worry at the most minor of things. I can feel fine for weeks/months, then wham, irrational worries and crippling anxiety. It is so frustrating as I try meditation, CBT and meds along with exercise and only the exercise helps really, but can't do that all day long.

I have tried lexapro on 3 seperate occassions for anxiety. It works on me at a low dose but after a few months the lethargy kicks in and is unbearable.  I am currently changing to amitripaline.

But it makes sure to shutdown the reproductive system...

I know I point that out a lot because it works so well for some people, but it does such crippling things..

Prozac and Remeron didn't help me. Paxil and Lexapro did, but both had side effects that changed my quality of life in a negative way, offsetting the reprieve from my depression.

On 2 March 2016 at 8:20 PM, Forties said:

I have taken almost every single anti depressant in the market and none worked for me. MAOIs, SSRIs SNRIs, even ECT. They me feel worse and left me with a horrific feeling. Exhausted of options, my psychiatrist accused me of not wanting to get well. I wanted to start a thread asking if there is anyone out there like me where anti depressants dont work for them but sadly I didnt make any efforts to do so cos what difference does it make? Anti depressants do not work on me and I have to continue living this life of mine. It has been 4 months since I stopped seeing my psy. No point. Not getting any better at all. just functional.

Have you though about changing psychiatrists? Maybe even check a few out.

Also counsellors.