When SSRI's dont work?

Hi, I' have tried 3 different SSRI's and venlafaxine and none have worked for me. I have gave them all over 3 months to work , but they don't seemed to have did anything for me. I have did CBT,  exercise and try to meditate, but still live almost constantly anxious. What else can I do? I feel I need a medicinal route as it would appear to be a genetic/hereditary issue that it stems from with me. Has anyone else found that SSRI's don't work for them?

• 4 weeks later...

I have personally tried a few different antidepressants, and finally was able to actually feel better while taking Wellbutrin SR 150MG.. Before the wellbutrin, I was on the tricyclics Pamelor (terrible!!) and Doxepin (WORSE!!) at two different times and I hated them.. The doxepin made me severely drunk, disoriented, and sleepy - plus it made me feel like my heart was going to jump out of my chest..  The pamelor was just about as bad, however it didn't make me feel bad drunk but it did make me sleepy, plus it just didn't work for me, and in the end it gave me a severe sore throat which led to me quitting it for good..

When my millionth drug didn't work  (and this took me about 15vyears) I went to my doctor to talk about dosing. I thought maybe tolerance was an issue.

I was at tge max dose and he went through the list and found I had them all. He referred me to a psychiatrist and bipolar came up. Not saying that's the case for you  but maybe there's more to your story than you're noticing.

I was on an SSRI and then an SNRI. They worked O.K. but I wanted more out of them.

So I've recently been put on an MAOI. 

They work the dopamine as well as the epinephrine and serotonin. SSRIs only increase serotonin levels.

It would seem something like that is a logical step for you if your initial medicines aren't working. 

For me non of the SSRI worked. Sertraline, venlafaxine, Cipralex (I got worse when I went to 20mg after 10mg for some years.)

Today I'm returning to anafranil which worked out really well for me some years ago. Just hope it works the same way. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on Wellbutrin, lexapro, suboxone, and dexmethalphenadate, everything is flaaaaat and blaaaaah no ambition etc... I'm in recovery for many years now from coke and booze. And now it's like why get out of bed type depression.

sux :/

8 hours ago, Shazamm51 said:

I'm on Wellbutrin, lexapro, suboxone, and dexmethalphenadate, everything is flaaaaat and blaaaaah no ambition etc... I'm in recovery for many years now from coke and booze. And now it's like why get out of bed type depression.

sux :/

Have you talked to your psychiatrist?  Maybe you are overmedicated. 

• 1 month later...

SSRIs sometimes work better when combined with an appropriate SNRI. I see however that you have tried the SNRI Venlafaxine, you might try desvenlafaxine (Pristiq) which is a much more efficient option. However continuing the topic of combinations, sometimes even low dose antipsychotics are added to the antidepressant to add a punch to its effect. Please talk to your doctor about the possibility of effective combinations which would probably suit you. Given the fact that you have given ample time for the SSRIs to act I think you could try moving on. But hold on a bit, you say that you tried three SSRIs but they didn't work, why didn't you explore the others? There are currently about 7 SSRIs on the market. So you've not tried the other 4 ! Anyhow I leave it to you. If you think that serotonin inhibitors are just not enough for you, as I said you could try a combination, alternatively if you prefer to try monotherapy for some more time, there are quite a few more meds that you can try. 

Best of luck to you!!