Sign in to follow this  
Litany

Recently Prescribed Latuda for OCD. Is this unusual?

I'm curious because my information sheet lists it as a viable medication for a host of conditions, none of which are OCD. I haven't maxed out my other medications (I take 150 mg Zoloft and 100 mg Wellbutrin). The reasoning behind this was to reduce the amount of time it takes me to regain focus after I have intrusive thoughts. Anyone else take or have taken Latuda for OCD, and if so, is it effective? 

Thanks, Devin

Hi Devin, 

I was diagnosed with OCD and Bipolar 1. I just recently got prescribed Latuda for both, mainly for the depressive episode I am in. It is used for OCD seldomly, usually in cases that involve treatment-resistant patients. I don't know the totality of your situation, but I hope that it helps you. I just started it and it is too soon to report any real changes. It should help us though, as I really hope it well. 

Best,

Sitting In A Dark Room

Update:

Latuda has helped me so much more than I ever thought it would. My OCD has been axed (reduced from 5 compulsions to 2 compulsions really easily), and it seems to have eased my depressive symptoms extraordinarily well. It has done both of these things much better than my high-dose SSRI has. I would recommend trying out this medication, it has worked miracles for me. 

Thank you, sittinginadarkroom. I hope this medication has helped you as much as it has me. 

On 18 May, 2016 at 8:15 PM, Litany said:

Update:

Latuda has helped me so much more than I ever thought it would. My OCD has been axed (reduced from 5 compulsions to 2 compulsions really easily), and it seems to have eased my depressive symptoms extraordinarily well. It has done both of these things much better than my high-dose SSRI has. I would recommend trying out this medication, it has worked miracles for me. 

Thank you, sittinginadarkroom. I hope this medication has helped you as much as it has me. 

Hi Litany,

Im wondering if your still benefitting from the Latuda. Can you give us an update. 

On 7/3/2016 at 7:36 PM, jay89 said:

Hi Litany,

Im wondering if your still benefitting from the Latuda. Can you give us an update. 

Definitely!

Things are still going really well. I don't feel quite as perky anymore but I am quite pleased by the sustained improvement I have experienced. Would still recommend, though I have come to learn that it is most effective in combination with an SSRI. 

Good luck with Latuda, or any other medication you may take. 

Your psychiatrists thinking is likely that antipsychotics are good at suppressing intrusive thoughts. Latuda did a good job of this for me, but not as good as I needed it to be considering the therapeutic dose wasn't tolerable due to side effects. Akathisia specifically. It was pretty bad for me. But it was only really bad at 80mg. 40mg I almost didn't know it was there and 60mg I knew but it wasn't too incredibly distracting to me. But I did get a talking to at work about not being at my desk enough and being outside smoking a lot.

On 7/4/2016 at 10:06 PM, Litany said:

Definitely!

Things are still going really well. I don't feel quite as perky anymore but I am quite pleased by the sustained improvement I have experienced. Would still recommend, though I have come to learn that it is most effective in combination with an SSRI. 

Good luck with Latuda, or any other medication you may take. 

are you taking Latuda with an SSRI or as mono therapy... just started 3 days ago as mono therapy and i fell really agitated and my mind is TOO ACTIVE,,, causing bad thoughts. Should i take an SSRI with it?

I’m about to start taking this medication for OCD and intrusive thoughts. My Psychiatrist highly recommends it and says it also has a strong antidepressant effect. I’ve recently started seeing a top psychiatrist in London and I trust him so I think it is worth giving this medication a try for OCD symptoms. I hope it will help me manage my depression as the constant obsessions and mental pain messages my brain generates are making things unbearable at the moment. I’m not entirely certain but I think this drug might help with cognitive function? This would be a huge benefit for me as I am living under a fog of depression at the moment. I am hopeful about this medication. I was told it can take 7-10 days to have an effect. I will let you know if it does anything for my OCD and depression.

4 minutes ago, Elephy131 said:

I’m about to start taking this medication for OCD and intrusive thoughts. My Psychiatrist highly recommends it and says it also has a strong antidepressant effect. I’ve recently started seeing a top psychiatrist in London and I trust him so I think it is worth giving this medication a try for OCD symptoms. I hope it will help me manage my depression as the constant obsessions and mental pain messages my brain generates are making things unbearable at the moment. I’m not entirely certain but I think this drug might help with cognitive function? This would be a huge benefit for me as I am living under a fog of depression at the moment. I am hopeful about this medication. I was told it can take 7-10 days to have an effect. I will let you know if it does anything for my OCD and depression.

I really liked Latuda while I was taking it. It worked fairly well considering I wasn't on any antidepressants at the time, but one thing it wasn't great with was irritability. We had to go to akathisia level doses to deal with some of my more irritable, agitated moments. Can't quite recall if it was good for ruminations but thinking back on my experiences with each medication I've taken, Latuda wasn't particularly good at quieting my thoughts. Saphris did it. So did Zyprexa and Loxitane. Currently trying Rexulti now because I've been having some issues with the loxapine though.

On 5/18/2016 at 8:15 PM, Litany said:

Update:

Can you tell me what dose and if you have had any weight gain?