Sign in to follow this  
zon

Ssri Alternatives?

So in a nutshell, I have depression and anxiety that is stopping me from working (I am freelance), which is in turn causing more depression and anxiety and so on :( I tried an SSRI but they did more damage than good, and since also learning that they can cause long term sexual dysfunction have decided to stay away from SSRIs as this is not a risk I am willing to take. But unfortunately my depression is not going anywhere by itself :(

So my question is, what could be an alternative to SSRIs and the other medications that cause sexual dysfunction? I will see my doctor soon but would like to get some ideas and do some research before I do.

Possibly Gabapentin.

Hmm, just did a bit of research and is definitely interesting. Especially as I also have chronic back pain for several years so it might take out two birds with one stone, although I am a little worried about the withdrawal effects. It didn't take long to come across quite a few people who say it ruined their life, took years to recover and so on. These are the kind of things I am most scared about :(

Did you use this for depression? What dose did you use and what was your experience?

Edited by zon

I am taking it right now.  A small dose for anxiety, pain, and hot flashes.  I also have chronic back pain.  I have also worried a lot about taking it, but have gotten to a point where I feel the benefits outweigh the risks.  

I think we need to remember that people who have a good experience don't write reviews as often as people who don't.