Sign in to follow this  
helter skelter

Disturbing Dreams

Does anyone else have disturbing dreams? For example, I had two dreams where I was a m*rderer. Don't worry, I'm not in real life. It didn't show how I did it, but I knew I did k*ll multiple people and had anxiety of being found out. I've also dreamt of my having pets that became monsters.

Would be curious to hear what others have and why.

Yeah, dreams are absurd.  They mean absolutely nothing, but they can make you feel pretty awful sometimes.

I used to have this recurring dream based upon a true wartime experience.  At the end, I was in alot of danger and had to find my way home through a combat zone.

I had a great counselor who told me to try making up a new ending to my dream once i woke up.  As absurd as this sounds, I decided that at the end of the dream, that Pearl Jam pulled up in a bus and needed a guitarist like me for an upcoming gig.  They gave me a ride home right through the middle of combat zone while I played guitar.

I almost never have that nightmare anymore, really works.

Maybe end your dream that all along you were teaching a class to show people how to fend off an attacker, and you were the example attacker.  Following your presentation, lots of people in the audience came up to thank you for giving them realistic training, and how much safer they now feel, and how you were respected as a defender of people.  And your pets ran away from home, and had 10 million hits on youtube after jumping on stage with Pearl Jam.

Think of your own absurd ending...dreams are just a random brain function...you're a very good hearted person, evidenced by the fact that this dream really affected and hurt you, knowing you would never do such a thing... I'm praying right now for a good night's sleep for you, really am :)

Yea I agree your dreams don't really mean much in my opinion.

I use to have really vivid dreams on Effexor and I actually thought they were quite exciting. I'm sorry yours are so terrible. Just know that this is no reflection of your character I'm sure your still a wonderful person at heart

I have had disturbing dreams for decades. They will not stop.  Now that I am taking Effexor they are more vivid as the above poster mentioned.  I do not like dreaming because some days I wake up feeling awful and scared. I wish if they would stop. 

Dreams always facsinate me. How different they are from person to person, but also how similar they can be as well. For me I have the most ridiculous dreams you can imagine... Think Salvador Dali on LSD... I somehow got used to it and also since childhood trained myself to wake up as soon as I feel anything uncomfortable. I wouldn't even know where to begin on explaining one of my dreams, they range from the most extreme disgusting and disturbing to absolutely hilariously funny and weird. I honestly don't know or remember how I taught myself to wake up but I'm sure it is possible if your dreams are really so disturbing.

I think one of my favourite weird but explainable ones was where I was in a shopping center trying to escape from 100s of security guards who were all blind old men with sticks trying to feel their way around and find me. Oh and I was naked.... Because it wasn't weird enough already...

I had a dream a few nights ago that my dog (20 lbs pug chihuahua mix) was being attacked by a much larger dog (I think it was a pitbull? it was sort of a weird looking dog). When I tried to intervene the dog's owner started attacking me. It was just such a horrible feeling, I'm trying to fight this guy and keep his dog from k*lling mine... desperately flipping back and forth between the two. Eat a punch, hear my dog yelp, grab his dog, get bitten, get punched again. Then there was this horrible point where I saw my little guy all covered in blood trying to crawl under something to hide and I completely snapped. I just started screaming in pure rage. I grabbed the guy, threw him down and shoved my thumbs into his eyes. Then I grabbed his dog and punched/choked it to death. After that I just remember holding my dog and crying. I woke up and really felt like I was gonna cry for a minute. It was just so vivid and horrible. Especially since I usually don't have dreams I can remember, let alone anything that vivid in detail... thankfully I was able to roll over and hug my dog to come down but it has been messing with me for a few days. Anytime I see that image of him bleeding or the horrible things I did to that guy or his dog it irks me. I get a weird feeling in my stomach...

Edited by Dog

I think one of my favourite weird but explainable ones was where I was in a shopping center trying to escape from 100s of security guards who were all blind old men with sticks trying to feel their way around and find me. Oh and I was naked.... Because it wasn't weird enough already...

I don't know why but I saw this in my head as a great anime scene or music video, it made me laugh pretty hard so thanks for that.

Does anyone else have disturbing dreams? For example, I had two dreams where I was a m*rderer. Don't worry, I'm not in real life. It didn't show how I did it, but I knew I did k*ll multiple people and had anxiety of being found out. I've also dreamt of my having pets that became monsters.

Would be curious to hear what others have and why.

I actually think dreams are an invaluable way to work through our subconscious. I have used mine to help sort my head out.  They can be intense, graphic and upsetting but I try to not run from them because they hold a lot of insight.  To M*rder someone in a dream could indicate that there is a part of you that you are trying to rid yourself of.  This is actually not necessarily a bad thing if the part of you that you are trying to do away with is a self destructive, self critical, self demeaning side.  On the flip side, depending on the context of the dream it could indicate that there is some anger inside of you that wants to strike out at people who you feel threatened by.  You want to strike out and get these people out of your life for making you feel bad but then you feel guilty as a person for having anger in the first place.  This conflict inside can be a big cause for us to get stuck in repeating negative thought patterns and behavior.  Pets becoming monsters could indicate that you yourself or loved ones in your life, those who are supposed to love you unconditionally are actually threats to you.  This would feed into the other dream of feeling guilty about k*lling.  In any event, I think dreams are extremely helpful at revealing what is going on underneath.  They can't hurt us so I try not to fear mine and use them as a tool not as something to run away from.

I had a dream a few nights ago that my dog (20 lbs pug chihuahua mix) was being attacked by a much larger dog (I think it was a pitbull? it was sort of a weird looking dog). When I tried to intervene the dog's owner started attacking me. It was just such a horrible feeling, I'm trying to fight this guy and keep his dog from k*lling mine... desperately flipping back and forth between the two. Eat a punch, hear my dog yelp, grab his dog, get bitten, get punched again. Then there was this horrible point where I saw my little guy all covered in blood trying to crawl under something to hide and I completely snapped. I just started screaming in pure rage. I grabbed the guy, threw him down and shoved my thumbs into his eyes. Then I grabbed his dog and punched/choked it to death. After that I just remember holding my dog and crying. I woke up and really felt like I was gonna cry for a minute. It was just so vivid and horrible. Especially since I usually don't have dreams I can remember, let alone anything that vivid in detail... thankfully I was able to roll over and hug my dog to come down but it has been messing with me for a few days. Anytime I see that image of him bleeding or the horrible things I did to that guy or his dog it irks me. I get a weird feeling in my stomach...

Do you engage in a lot of self blame and beating yourself up?  There is behavior, yours or someone else's in your life that is overpowering you and making you feel beaten down and small. The good news is your survival side is kicking in and wants to take back control of the situation.  To stop seeing the world from this negative aggressive side (gouging the eyes out).  This is good with the exception of it being the case of self blame where fighting fire with fire isn't necessarily the best solution.  Beating yourself up for beating yourself up only creates more discord.  Try talking to yourself like you would talk to a friend.  None of us is perfect but being an enemy to ourselves is not only unhelpful it just gets us into a deeper hole.  Stand up against those forces that are trying to make you feel small regardless if they are from others or from yourself but make sure you show yourself some self compassion towards in the process.  Self compassion towards your faults and failings or giving yourself permission to stand up towards another to gain your power back if they are demeaning towards you.  Quite an upsetting dream but one that I think indicates that you are ready to take a stand which is a good thing.  Take care.

Dreams always facsinate me. How different they are from person to person, but also how similar they can be as well. For me I have the most ridiculous dreams you can imagine... Think Salvador Dali on LSD... I somehow got used to it and also since childhood trained myself to wake up as soon as I feel anything uncomfortable. I wouldn't even know where to begin on explaining one of my dreams, they range from the most extreme disgusting and disturbing to absolutely hilariously funny and weird. I honestly don't know or remember how I taught myself to wake up but I'm sure it is possible if your dreams are really so disturbing.

Being in a shopping center can revolve around the things we buy into.  Looking for a new perspective.  Security guards can indicate that you have a lot of guilt about how you act and behave.  It is hard to buy into anything new about yourself if you are too wrapped up in ideas that are guilt ridden.  But the dream seems to be trying to send the message that these guilty thoughts are born from some very old ideas by people who are unable to see past such behavior.  Guilt is kind of learned behavior.  If you were raised in a way that made you feel guilty for not being this way or that this simply means you were raised by adults who were unable to see a better way to get their needs taken care of and fall back on guilt as the means to control.  Being naked means that we are exposing parts of ourselves to ourselves that make us feel vulnerable and uncomfortable.  Guilt is one of those emotions we don't want to touch but it undermines every step we take.  So I would say just look at your life and see where guilt plays a role.  Do others try to continually make you feel guilty about your choices and how you behave or do you yourself engage in a lot of guilt and self blame.  I realize this may be an older dream but it may still be relevant today.  You should never have to feel guilty about who you are or your choices in life.  

Do you engage in a lot of self blame and beating yourself up?  There is behavior, yours or someone else's in your life that is overpowering you and making you feel beaten down and small. The good news is your survival side is kicking in and wants to take back control of the situation.  To stop seeing the world from this negative aggressive side (gouging the eyes out).  This is good with the exception of it being the case of self blame where fighting fire with fire isn't necessarily the best solution.  Beating yourself up for beating yourself up only creates more discord.  Try talking to yourself like you would talk to a friend.  None of us is perfect but being an enemy to ourselves is not only unhelpful it just gets us into a deeper hole.  Stand up against those forces that are trying to make you feel small regardless if they are from others or from yourself but make sure you show yourself some self compassion towards in the process.  Self compassion towards your faults and failings or giving yourself permission to stand up towards another to gain your power back if they are demeaning towards you.  Quite an upsetting dream but one that I think indicates that you are ready to take a stand which is a good thing.  Take care.

That's an interesting interpretation. I do beat myself up a lot in general and I suppose I do beat myself up ABOUT beating myself up. I can't always tell if that's me or the depression when it happens but I do go through periods where I get pretty sick of myself. I do also feel a bit powerless or inadequate in the face of my depression, job I hate, and perceived societal pressures of where my life "should be" at this point. I've always kinda viewed "life" as a malevolent beast that stalks around the edges and tries to take bites out of me and those I love... so maybe that plays into the whole dog attack thing. I always feel like something is trying to tear me to pieces one way or another.

I had a dream once that I drove off a bridge because I wanted to know what it would feel like (it was a lucid dream). Perhaps I wished that I had the audacity to do it in reality.

I had a dream bad enough just a few days ago that I woke up sweating and had to turn on every light in the apartment, haven't been that affected by a dream in years, and I have plenty of nightmares ._. I've forgotten it now though.. I really should have written it down or something.

My nightmares usually start off "normal", and get progressively darker and more disturbing.. For example, often I will find myself at the local mall (it's a recurring location in my nightmares for some reason) and just walk around looking at wares, then the nightmare kicks in, and I get locked in overnight, with things hunting me, or a terrorist group appears and opens fire, etc. One of the more bizarre ones I had the mall was located out on the ocean as a "mall ship" and of course it hit an iceberg and sank.. I think my subconscious ripped off Titanic~

Edited by SenorDomino

I used to be one of those worried students that don't dare to misbehave in school. I was obsessed with my grades. Now almost 10 years later, I still have dreams about failing a class(especially math.) I wake up feeling scared and then relieved every time.

That's an interesting interpretation. I do beat myself up a lot in general and I suppose I do beat myself up ABOUT beating myself up. I can't always tell if that's me or the depression when it happens but I do go through periods where I get pretty sick of myself. I do also feel a bit powerless or inadequate in the face of my depression, job I hate, and perceived societal pressures of where my life "should be" at this point. I've always kinda viewed "life" as a malevolent beast that stalks around the edges and tries to take bites out of me and those I love... so maybe that plays into the whole dog attack thing. I always feel like something is trying to tear me to pieces one way or another.

Yep, me too.  Tear myself apart of my mistakes then tear myself apart for tearing myself apart.  Had a critical father, an over bearing boss and enough medical and mental health issues that it feels like life is out to get you.  Depression takes the life out of you.  It's all very hard but I am trying to remind myself that there is never a good reason to tear myself down.  If I never make a million bucks or even a decent living that isn't who I am inside.  Who I am is someone who cares enough about being a good worthwhile person that I want to tear myself down because I perceive I am not.  So in a way depressed people may actually care more so than the "normal" people of the world.  Why else would we beat ourselves up if we didn't care on some level to be trying to do good, be good, accomplish good.  In any event, I hope you one day find your way to being your own best friend.  You do not deserve to be attacked or torn apart.  Take care.

Edited by Michelle38

I had a dream once that I drove off a bridge because I wanted to know what it would feel like (it was a lucid dream). Perhaps I wished that I had the audacity to do it in reality.

I had a dream a while ago that I committed suicide.  I was standing on a crane in the middle of the ocean and jumped saying, "Please help Randy understand"  The thing is the dream had nothing to do with the act of death.  It was actually about my great fear of jumping into emotions.  My boyfriend Randy is my protector so he symbolizes my protective side.  Water symbolizes emotions and the act of jumping into them was so scary to me it felt like it would be the death of me so I was asking my subconscious in a way to calm my protective side so it didn't flip out and/or totally shut me down out of fear of experiencing strong emotions.  Something I was terrified to do my whole life.  So the dream felt like I was jumping to my death when I really wasn't.  I was more going for it in regards to allowing myself to express my emotions.  In any event, dreams where we seem to die generally are never about physical death but actually about the death of a part of us that no longer serves us.  So maybe on some level your dream was a leap of faith of some sort or as you state possibly and attempt at allowing you to be more open about your suicidal thoughts.  In order to heal those thoughts we do have to recognize and confront them first.