Sign in to follow this  
carter_burn1

Remeron Was Another Flop For Me

I decided to post this, because while I've read a lot of glowing reviews about mirtazapine, there really isn't much out there about it not working. A little history - last year, I was hospitalized for a failed suicide attempt. While in the hospital, I was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder, Insomnia, and a pretty intense case of social anxiety. The doctor at the hospital prescribed .5 mg xanax 3 times a day, 10 mg ambien for insomnia, and 30 mgs a night of mirtazapine for the depression and insomnia. I was having massive memory loss from the xanax, and it wasn't helping to manage my anxiety at the prescribed dose, so I stopped taking that fairly quickly. I built a tolerance to the ambien quickly and found myself doubling and sometimes tripling my dose to get to sleep, and then I'd be left with a week to ten days of not having any until my prescription could be refilled...that cycle made me feel like a junkie, so I quit the ambien as well. All of this happened within three months of leaving the hospital.

I went to an outside psychiatrist to try to figure out my medications. He kept me on the mirtazapine 30 mg for the depression, and other than ativan for the worst of the panic attacks, it's all I've been on for 11 months now. After six months of 30 mgs of mirtazapine with absolutely no effect on my depression or insomnia, he raised the dosage to 45 mg. I took it like clockwork for the next five months. It has had zero effect on my depression - I feel the same way that I did before I tried to **** myself and landed in the hospital's behavioral/mental ward. The psychiatrist keeps saying to keep taking the mirtazapine, because even though I don't notice a difference, it's helping me. I believe he's basing this on the fact that I haven't attempted suicide since I've been on it, even though I've repeatedly told him that it's not helping and I'm basically white-knuckling the depression all day every day.

All of this is just to say that mirtazapine does not help everyone with Major Depressive Disorder. It doesn't help me to fall asleep at all, and it doesn't have an impact on my depression. The posts I was actually able to find where people were saying the same thing as me were swamped with replies of "you didn't give it long enough to work." I just want to say that 11 months is a fair trial for anything; if it were going to help, it would have helped by now. I'm switching doctors this month, and I have a very strong feeling he's going to agree with me about trying a different AD. I know the side effects of other antidepressants are probably a lot worse than the ones associated with mirtazapine, but I'd be willing to put up with almost anything to take a bite out of the depression I constantly feel. If you suffer from heavy depression, remeron (mirtazapine) MAY NOT be right for you. It wasn't for me.

So sorry Carter to hear that you have suffered this long without relief in sight...I'm glad you are going into see a new Dr soon. I wonder if they added Effexor to the mix if it would help any...commonly known as California Rocket Fuel. I wasn't fond of Mirt and had started to develop hypnagogic hallucinations from it at a relatively low dose which freaked me out because I don't get auditory hallucinations. I hear it's a side effect that only effects a small percentage of people...I'm always in the small percentile. Hang in there and keep us posted.

Thanks for commenting, Tinamommy! Its funny you should mention Effexor...they added it to the remeron prescription while I was hospitalized - 75 mg effexor in the am, 30 mg remeron in the pm. I spent all day feeling like a zombie, my eating habits were out of control (went from 155 lbs to almost 190 in 3 months), and then it wore off just in time for bed, where I couldn't sleep. My first appointment with the outside shrink was like 30 minutes after my effexor dose, so I was in full zombie mode. He kind of freaked out and talked about how irresponsible the hospital doc was for prescribing it, and took me off immediately. I dunno, all this to say that effexor and remeron weren't a good combo for me. My depression was still a 9 while i was on both, then when I went back to just the remeron it was a 9 1/2. 

Went to see the new doc today, which was a decent experience. He wants me to take a month of taking my meds exactly as prescribed - 3 doses of .5 ativan throughout the day and the 45 mg remeron and 10 mg ambien at night. No more, no less. He wants me to keep a nightly journal describing my levels of anxiety, depression, and insomnia while taking these three meds exactly as prescribed. Then next month we're going to go over everything together and either alter this current med schedule or scrap it entirely for a new one. I really appreciate he's taking his time and not throwing scripts around willy nilly  =)  

Thanks again for your interest, Tina!!

Carter