Insurance Company Refusing To Pay My Therapist

Rainbow Lightning

Title say it all, I tried to make an appointment with my therapist and apparently he said the insurance company hasn't been paying him. The problem is they never told me there was a problem and I've already had over 5 sessions and I haven't been able to get a hold of the company about this. I'm still trying to find a stable job, I've had some temp jobs I've done but that's it and can't possibly be able to pay this plus all the other expenses I have. Anyone in any similar situations ? If I have to pay all of this out of pocket it's going to really really suck. Sorry for the rant but this was a really unwelcome surprise since things have been better since I started therapy.

Edited by Rainbow Lightning

Hi Rainbow Lightening,

I'm sorry to hear you are going through this, especially since therapy has been working for you. I also go to therapy and it is really helping me. That does sound odd to me that your provider hasn't mentioned this sooner. I went to school for Health Information Management, and insurance companies usually give a clear reason why they won't pay for claims, at least they do in my state. I'm assuming you provider is private and he/she bills the insurance companies themselves? If it were me I would ask my provider why the insurance isn't paying, since working in healthcare of any kind requires you to know about billing and insurance-other wise you don't get paid lol.

I would also call every number you can for you insurance, look online for numbers so you can contact someone and don't be afraid to leave messages. I know it sucks to have to do all this work when trying to be well is already so much work, but I've had to do things like this before and it has paid off. Are you able to get on a sliding scale with your provider? That may reduce the cost for future appointments.

I hope some of this helps, and you weren't ranting you were just telling the truth :)

The insurance company is UHC and I've read that they can be real jerks about payments, wish I had known that sooner, and yeah it's a private provider. I couldn't get through to UHC since I kept getting directed to the same answering machine that always directed me to a representative that was never there and the voice mailbox was always full. Hopefully I'll be able to work things out tomorrow. I'm definitely going to be looking for different insurance after this since they never said there was a problem. I only found out through my therapist.

Edited by Rainbow Lightning

Hey Rainbow,

sorry to hear you're still having issues. So, when your therapist said 'you need to find someone who works with that,' are they telling you to seek another provider all together? Prior authorization is something that needs to be obtained before services are rendered, and the provider should know this, or now how to find this out. This explains why the insurance company is trying not pay. It looks like you're going to have to be your own advocate and search online, if you haven't already, on the insurance website.

I don't know if this link will help at all, as we are in different states, but maybe take a look? Best of luck.

https://www.unitedhealthcareonline.com/b2c/CmaAction.do?channelId=c4c04378103f6110VgnVCM2000008040dc0a____