Fluvoxamine (Luvox) Posts

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Happpy, some people experience side effects starting up SSRIs and it really will depend on the individual. If the side effects are unbearable please contact your doctor and ask for guidance. Hugs.

Girly

Hi Happpy, some people experience side effects starting up SSRIs and it really will depend on the individual. If the side effects are unbearable please contact your doctor and ask for guidance. Hugs.

Girly

Thanks for answer Girly! OK I understand!

What we say these initial side effects of SSRI's in medical language? ONSET side effects or some else? I want to tell directly the name (to doctor) of side effects that this is happening to me. So what term we use to state these? I hope you'll have understand what I'm saying.

Hugs you too.

Happpy.

• 1 year later...

Just wondering if anyone is on this med and how it makes them feel. Ive recently been put up to 200mg but my anxiety and agitation has severely increased to the point that I'm wanting to hurt myself. It's awful, I really want to hear from others xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Natasha1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi There,

Yes luvox can cause that.

I am taking the generic Faverin but also at 200mg.

This agitation and anxiety happens at the start. If you do feel it is really affecting you in a lot of ways - speak with your doctor to change to an alternative.

Luvox is an SSRI. There are also SNRI's (Serotonin Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors) - but this depends on the type of condition or comorbidity (other condition) you have with depression.

I have tried over 8 different types of meds - including a Trycyclic (older generation form of antidepressant - but still in use today), SNRI's and SSRI's.

Personally, I do not like taking Faverin/Luvox (partly due to the agitation) but it has been the only one that has worked in keeping the depression/worries at bay for me.

I am still learning and tracking daily my moods (using a number from 1-10) and recording any changes - this is so important in recognising whether the feelings are internal stressors (i.e. your health / the meds / your emotions) or external stressors, the environment, the people around you, a particular event, a single incident/experience.

I am working on coming off of it - as I work with my doctor on other meds/combinations.

This of course, is All based on individuals and my route of treatment may be different from yours. So always always speak with your doctor, and keep a journal to bring more self awareness to yourself so you can understand your own self better and see which route of treatment/medication may work for you better.

I am mindful of my diet too, which Luvox can suppress appetites. and make sure I take to exercising at least twice a week.

All are combinations (i.e. exercise) in life to aid/cope - but if you still feel the need to hurt yourself as you continue with it, speak with your doctor as soon as possible and keep check with the forums here.

The forums have been very helpful to me over the years.

Hope you are well.

subliminal

• 4 months later...

First of all I am new here, so hi everyone.

I am 27 and started the back and forth of anti depressants when I was 18. I am now been taking 100mg of Fluvoxamine for the past 5 years or so, and I am currently trying to stop it. I've cut back from 100mg to 75mg and stayed there for a month and a half and didn't get major side effects. Now I have been with 50mg for about 3 or 4 weeks and since last week I have been feeling a bit depressed and super anxious throughout the day. I don't feel well anywhere.  I don't really know if it's me or the side effects.

Just wondering if someone felt like this or have any thoughts?

I really appreciate and keep it strong everyone.

Edited by Natasha1

• 5 months later...
On 6/13/2016 at 5:21 PM, jmmc said:

First of all I am new here, so hi everyone.

I am 27 and started the back and forth of anti depressants when I was 18. I am now been taking 100mg of Fluvoxamine for the past 5 years or so, and I am currently trying to stop it. I've cut back from 100mg to 75mg and stayed there for a month and a half and didn't get major side effects. Now I have been with 50mg for about 3 or 4 weeks and since last week I have been feeling a bit depressed and super anxious throughout the day. I don't feel well anywhere.  I don't really know if it's me or the side effects.

Just wondering if someone felt like this or have any thoughts?

I really appreciate and keep it strong everyone.

Hi There,

I'm glad you're posting and keeping in touch with the community. I've been with the community on and off for almost 15 years now.

Now im going to explain my experience. It does to an extent take "experience" in taking these things long enough to know where you stand - because you Also need to learn about yourself by journalling, living life to know whether or not you need that amount/dosage or if you can eventually learn to live without them.

That being said, there are people Born with ocd who require taking this - but there is the other co-morbid Ocd which I had as a result of traumas as a sensitive child being scolded, and not being given the proper love and care at times - along with growing up feeling "forced" into society without being able to tend nor listen to my own heart and emotions.

With my own scenario explained;

Personally - At 75mg, it was the line-drawn I find. That's where it was almost at the cliff.. and the depression can show up and manifest itself IF YOU ARE NOT YET READY TO battle or cope, or have yet to develop the necessary coping skills;

bear in mind, just going for therapy and talking out your moods (which is Very useful) may not be the only weapon you need. You may need to teach yourself meditation, listen to relaxation audios at night for sleep - you have to take care of you, as this one can be tricky if you are under the support of family/friends telling you what to do.

You have to journal daily, once every few days or on weekends if you can't afford the time during the week.

Speak to yourself in writing/music/singing - and yes I empathise and know how "disconnected" you feel with this medication. It can numb you, and the scary part being that when you tell some doctors, they may even disagree or say "this medication doesn't do that".

So it is important to write, and keep writing it all out and put Your pieces together. Figure out what triggers you, figure out what scared you as a child, appreciate as much as possible (in spite of the emotional disconnect/low libido) your sexuality. Do all this Bit by Bit..

Don't try to Force emotion or actions when on this med, because it can be rather numbing and you yourself can tell when you are being over-confident. Keep writing to you, or blogging - like the blog I created at my profile, you can read about my experieces - which Vary greatly from period to period of taking the med and what point in my life i was at.

You can choose to work things out in your life first (if you can) before cutting down..

However if you do sense something is wrong emotionally and are trying to cut down - my perspective is that 25mg is actually "a lot" of the medication in the body already from my experience having cut down from it.

My Advice to you that you can refer to in future - You need to buy a pill splitter or request the liquid form from your doctor to go down from 25mg and down.

There are videos on youtube especially one which I've gone back to time and time again - I'll private message you the link.

Also there's this other link. [please see member for link to 'Tips for tapering off Luvox (fluvoxamine)' on Surviving Antidepressants]

You need to have your goals, and mental support as written above / maturity, personal time (off time from work/school) and other supports, like this community and family support - when you are going 50 to 25 and below.. go slow and set around 2-3 weeks for each cut, (25mg for 2 to 3 weeks, 12.5mg for 2-3 weeks, 6.25mg for 2 weeks-ish or longer).

Best to you!

On 8/18/2017 at 0:28 PM, Lumi said:

Has anyone taken this drug with lithium? I'm guessing this is a bit of a long shot as fluvoxamine doesn't exactly seem overly popular anyway compared to other antidepressants!

Hi there Lumi, I've never taken that before together with Fluvoxamine.

I take it you're needing Lithium for Bi-polar?

Edited by 20YearsandCounting
remove link to competing forum, leave message

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone,

My doctor recently started me on 50mg of fluvoxamine for major depressive disorder and anxiety. So far, I have not noticed any changes in my mood or physical wellbeing thus far other than feeling severly drowsy. Is this common? Any reccomendations? 

Thanks.

Edited by Organivmaplesyurp

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2017 at 3:18 AM, Organivmaplesyurp said:

Hello everyone,

My doctor recently started me on 50mg of fluvoxamine for major depressive disorder and anxiety. So far, I have not noticed any changes in my mood or physical wellbeing thus far other than feeling severly drowsy. Is this common? Any reccomendations? 

Thanks.

Hi there, it's usually around 100, 150 or 200mg where people find relief with Fluvoxamine - when it comes to "heavier" depression.

I send you my prayers that you'll get there soon. Many blessings.