Could Use Some Insight And Support

Hey everyone this is my first post on here and I've been apart of forums like this before and the support is always great.

I'm going through a brutal spot in my life after the breakup of an intense yet very toxic relationship. Loved her, wanted to be with her, even though I wasn't always treated the way I should be. A low self esteem allows the other person to pretty much walk all over me, especially because I was amazed that such a gorgeous girl was interested in me. Anyway we broke up in November which brought rushing back all the depression, anxiety, and obsessive behaviors that have plagued me in the past. I started counseling about a month ago and he diagnosed me with major depression and anxiety and recommended I go on an SSRI.

I'd been taking Tramadol for shoulder pain for the past 3 months, but also realized that it helped give me a boost during the day with my mood and energy level, but unfortunately I knew this wasn't a long term solution for depression even though the characteristics of an SSRI are there. So 2 days ago I went to the doctor and she put me on 25MG of Zoloft at my request. I knew this meant I had to stop taking the Tramadol as the combination of the 2 can be deadly. She told me to take them at night, but I however had taken 250MG of Tramadol that morning so I didn't want to risk it. So I took my first Zoloft at 930 yesterday morning. By 1130 I was absolutely exhausted and couldn't keep my eyes open. Thankfully I work for myself and was able to lay down. I ended up sleeping until around 3. Couldn't get up out of bed until around 430, and just felt like I was in a dreamworld, everything felt like it was 1-2 seconds slower than normal. I didn't have much of an appetite but gagged down some dinner around 6. I played volleyball at 8 but was generally uncomfortable, uneasy, and had a general nauseous feeling. I decided I wanted to get on the routine of taking the Zoloft at night so I took one at around midnight. I also took 1MG of Xanax at the time too hoping it would help combat the uneasy anxious feeling the Zoloft seemed to give me. I felt like I was crawling out of my skin until around 3am when I brought my dog for a walk. Finally I was able to fall asleep around 330 or so and slept until 930. I woke up this morning with "the runs", as that had started last night and was worse this morning. This morning I feel relatively anxious, which isn't out of the ordinary for me, but this is when I would normally take my Tramadol and would be good for 5-7 hours.

I guess I'm just looking for some insight into if all this seems relatively normal, if the side effects are from the Zoloft, the withdrawal from Tramadol, a combination of both? And how long should I expect these feelings to last. How will I know if/when the medication is actually working for me? Do you just figure out one day, oh life isn't that bad? Thanks for your help everyone.

Hi nickr3023,

Welcome to the Forums.  I am so sorry that you are suffering such nightmarish effects of your depression and/or treatment.  It sounds so awful and scary! 

Sadly I cannot provide any insight on this because I went to Zoloft after having been weaned off of Tofranil, a tricyclic antidepressant.  The only two side effects that I thought might have been related [?] to the Zoloft were difficulty falling asleep at night and an almost unconquerable drowsiness around 3 pm each day.  Otherwise Zoloft proved an unbelievably effective antidepressant for me.  It took around 3-6 weeks before I really noticed this and I was surprised that I continued to improve and improve for the next two years!  It helped me feel more like myself than any other antidepressant had.

I have no experience with Tramadol or Xanax.  Have you discussed your situation with your prescribing physician?  Apologies for not being able to be helpful.  Hopefully others here will be able to help!  I certainly hope and wish and pray that things improve and improve and improve for you and reach the best possible outcome!  Depression is a such a brutal illness.

Sincerely,  Epictetus.

I'm on day 5 and it seems that the physicall effects have mostly worn off...well the intolerable ones anyway. I was given klonopin .5mg to take in the morning and night to help with the anxiety and uncomfort that I'm feeling. I'm noticing the last 2 days thought that I can't stop from breaking down and burst out crying. I know I'm going through a breakup but that was 2 months ago...now all of a sudden my brain won't stop thinking about it. Is being overly emotional normal at the start of using an AD. I don't feel any change emotionally as I still feel extremely depressed and if it wasn't for my parents dragging me over for dinner every night I probably wouldn't leave the house.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I started sertraline as well. It has definitely made my depression worse so far. A lot more negative thoughts that I can't distract from. So far, I've been on 25 mg for 2 wks, 50 mg for 2 wks, and 75 mg for 10 days. I haven't seen any improvement yet, but I'm really hoping it will start working soon. It's been a horrible 5 weeks. If I start to feel better, I will definitely post a success story.

I hope it goes better for you than it does me. For me it's been torture. I think I would've tried something different early on, knowing how long I've been taking it with worse depression, but I'm 5 weeks in and to switch now with having to be tapered off with possible withdrawal symptoms and starting a new one, I'm going to stick with it. I have seen other posts where people felt worse, mainly due to anxiety though, and eventually, they felt great. Unfortunately, it takes a longtime. I think sometimes 6-8 weeks on the therapeutic dose. Some people feel better really quickly, but I don't think that's common. Also, it shouldn't start working immediately because your body has to adjust to it. I know my mom told me fluoxetine worked for her within days. It took 2 months on the same dose for it to work for me. It did really work well. I also had an increase in depression at the beginning of fluoxetine, but I don't remember it as bad as with sertraline. Let me know how you are doing.

Sarah

After 3 days I was given Klonopin to help with the severe anxiety. That was on a Friday. That Saturday/Sunday/Monday were the worst of my life. The depression ramped up to a point I couldn't even move. My parents had to come stay with me because I was terrified of myself, the only time I've ever truly felt suicidal. I had no less than a dozen severe panic attacks in 3 days, dry heaving, etc. Immediately went back to the doctor on Monday and she switched me to Paxil 25mg and back to Xanax, and it's been night and day since then. By Tuesday I felt somewhat normal. The depression and intrusive thoughts have subsided quite a bit. Still have anxiety here and there, but shocked at how quickly the change to Paxil worked. I was only on Zoloft and Klonopin for 5 days, but I know my body well enough to know there's no way I should feel like that. So really pay attention to your body and how you feel.

I'm so glad you made the switch early on and it works well. I should have done the same, but I didn't. I tried an increase in my fluoxetine first but that did the same thing. I went to the Emergency room twice in 10 days, so I switched to zoloft. My psychiatrist said it's less intense. She also said there is no reason I should feel more depressed after taking it. I guess I thought this is just what my body does with an SSRI. Now I know I should have tried something else sooner, even though I tried 2 different ones already. The only reason I haven't been to the Emergency room on zoloft is because when I went, they only could watch me and give me a benzo, which didn't help me. What keeps me here is not wanting to hurt the people I love, so I don't think watching me will do me anymore good.

Ugh I'm sorry you're going through that. I'm not going to say I'm completely better after switching. It's only been a little over a week and I feel a little bit more level, but I still wake up every day with severe anxiety and dread for the day. I'm just thankful I don't feel like I did 2 weekends ago. That's the only way I look at this as progress. You'll get through this too. I know how it feels to want to end it all, but truly the only people that end up hurt are the loved ones you leave behind.

• 1 month later...

I feel your pain. Tramadol can be a NASTY drug, and when you stop taking it you have to deal with coming off of the pain ******* portion and the anti depressant portion, which makes it even worse. I'm on day 26 of being clean (cold turkey) off of them after 5 years of heavy using and it hasn't been easy. No sleep for a couple weeks along with the RLS, bubbleguts and everything else the withdrawal experience brings. The physical symptoms are mostly gone, but the severe lack of motivation and now depression/anxiety are the WORST. I've never felt this low before so now I'm left wondering if I severely messed my brain up for the rest of my life. Each day does get better but some are worse than others. Stay as far away from them as possible. My Dr. never warned me about the effects after stopping, I chose to do so on my own when I realized I wasn't the same person anymore after being on them for so long. Just know that it does get better, so hang in there!