F*****g Sugar!

mellabella

I just came home from what could have been a lovely relaxing weekend away with my sister. Unfortunately I indulged in a bit too much sugary food and on the second day had an absolute meltdown! Sad, anxious, crying and worrying obsessively. I'm sure it was not just this (I don't think things are usually caused by just one thing) but it struck me when I got home that I had been eating what my sister had been eating (lots of sugar and carbs) rather than my usual diet (fruit, veg, protein and complex carbs). Normally I can get away with a small sweet treat (like a hot chocolate) or a dessert once or twice a week if i eat well the rest of the time but this amount of sugar was obviously way too much for my body and brain to deal with. Does anyone else experience this?

Here's some info I found on the net if anyone's interested:

In her national bestseller “Potatoes Not Prozac,” Kathleen DesMaisons offers a seven-step dietary plan for sugar-sensitive people like me. I’ve tried to implement her suggestions into my diet because, as a recovering drunk and depressive, too much sugar can get downright ugly.

Here’s what DesMaisons proposes:

• Keep a food journal. The journal keeps you in relationship to your body. It reminds you of the connection between what you eat and how you feel.
  • Maintain your blood sugar level. Stay steady and clear. Always have breakfast. Eat three meals a day at regular intervals. Eat brown things (whole grains, beans, potatoes, and roots), green things (broccoli and other green vegetables), and yellow things (squash and other yellow vegetables). Choose foods with the least sugars and the most fiber.
  • Enhance your serotonin level. Eat protein at each meal. Make sure that enough tryptophan is swimming around in your blood. Have a complex carbohydrate (without any protein) three hours after your protein meal to boost tryptophan into your brain. The baked potato as a nightcap is a powerful tool.
  • Enhance your beta-endorphin level. Reduce or eliminate sugars and white things to minimize the beta-endorphin priming that comes with a hit of sugars. Make life changes to enhance behaviors and activities (meditation, exercise, music, orgasm, yoga, prayer, dancing) that evoke or support the production of your own beta-endorphin in a steady and consistent way.

Let me know what you think!

Refined sugar is poison, yes. I feel much better when I severely limit it. I do have a weakness for chocolate chip cookies and sometimes indulge, but I always feel sick afterward. Unfortunately being around friends and family often means being tempted and pressured into compnsuming sugar. Just try to avoid, if you can, being around it.

My rule that helps me is to stop eating anything as soon as a bite tasted less delicious than the previous bite.  That is the bodies way of saying I've had enough of whatever that is.  The problem for me isn't the first few bites of chocolate, its gobbling it when my body is clearly telling me to turn it off.  

I absolutely agree with everything in moderation. I'm just figuring out what that looks like for me. It can be very addictive and some people are more able to have it in moderation whereas some prefer steering clear completely. 

Edited by mellabella