How Do I Handle The Bad Days?

Hazzy

Hi everyone,

I'm currently on medication, 20mg of citalopram, take hydroxyzine when needed, and see a therapist weekly. Despite all of these changes, I still seem to feel very depressed. I just upped the citalopram, so I know it will take a while to feel the effects. But on most days, I would just rather stay in bed all day, and I'm tired all the time. Today is not so bad, but on some days I feel useless. I have had fantasies of self harming, but have stopped myself each time I felt the impulse. I don't have panic attacks very much anymore (used to have 2-3 a week), so there are some improvements.

I also find, that if I happen to have a really good day, I don't know how to handle those feelings and end up searching for a way to punish myself (self harm) or think that something bad will happen to me. 

Does anyone else feel this way at times? How do you handle your really bad days? What about the good days? Thanks in advance for replies.

When I have really bad days I try to keep myself busy.I know that`s not always possible when you feel like you can`t even get out of bed..But on my really bad days I`ll try to listen to music or watch a funny movie or tv show.I`ll also try to do something creative.I think those new adult color books are great for distracting yourself when you are anxious or depressed.Right now I am a former self  harmer and I understand the urge to self harm when things are bad.I would try some distractions to keep yourself from self harming.Writing also helps me get things off my chest when things get really bad.

Hi, Hazzy.

We probably have different ways to feel depressed.

Have you tried with a solitaire walk in a crowded street while listening to music?
Or by reading a book? Especially those times you don't even want to get up.

I feel the exact same way, and I even take hydroxyzine too! I haven't found a surefire way to handle the bad days. Sometimes I'll reach out to a friend, read a book and distract myself for a way, or do Yoga. Something to get your mind off things is always helpful. I too am always tired and I've heard of the use of stimulants to treat symptoms of fatigue with depression, so I would definitely look into that or ask your psychiatrist about other methods of improving your energy levels.

I'm concerned about your fantasies of self-harming. Do you SI frequently? I find that distractions are a self-injurer's best friend. Whenever I want to hurt myself I take my mind off of it by watching TV, reading, spending time with a pet, anything healthy. 

I'm having the same feelings, I just want to stay in bed all day. I know that doing so, will feed into the depression, but sometimes I just dont' care. Sometimes, I just force myself to do one thing, just one small thing out of the bed and it helps a lot. Even if its taking out the trash or taking the dog for a walk. It's hard, but it helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sometimes I find the best thing to do in these moments is to force myself to get up and do something.  Go on a walk, go to a movie, window shop at the mall.  It gives you the chance to be around people, but still gives you control to decide how much you are going to interact with those around you.  Have you tried talking to a close friend that would understand what you are feeling, sometimes it helps me to have someone I can simply vent to, not seeking help or answers just having someone I know cares and is willing to listen makes the world of difference.

Bad Days....Well apart from wanting to put an "Out of Order" sign on me, there are several things I do to get through.

I exercise(lift weights, cardio)  which seem to put me in a better space, the release of endorphins cannot be under-estimated! As bad as I feel,  I just get moving somehow.

Also, on blah days, I try and sleep more. Although this sometimes back -fires as I sometimes feel like death after an afternoon nap. ( just love my brain chemistry!)

Finally, I try and eat my favourite food to comfort myself.