Random Facts About Anything.

Mark250

did ya know that you can get direct connect wired internet using your power outlets? you can buy them called "Power-Line adapters" on amazon.com or wherever...
It's not wireless internet, but you plug an adapter into power outlet near your modem/router then connect those together, then another adapter into any outlet in your house and can run an Ethernet cord from there to your computer.... Can go through floors without worrying about wireless signal interference and without drilling holes in ceiling to run a 50 ft cord. Pretty neat! Not sure why this is just starting to get used, must take some computing to send the internet signal pulse through your electrical wiring, but it really works

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-line_communication
" Power-line communication (PLC) is a communication protocol that uses electrical wiring to simultaneously carry both data, and Alternating Current (AC) electric power transmission or electric power distribution. "

Edited by jasonte

saw this on Ted Talks a couple months ago, but didn't know it actually got on regular news! Whooo knows, it going to have to be explained somehow, sounds like something new either way? This guy's pretty good at being a media figure that for sure.
" The leading hypothesis, based on a lack of observed infrared light, is that of a swarm of cold, dusty comet fragments in a highly eccentric orbit.[12][13][14] Many small masses in "tight formation" orbiting the star have also been proposed. "
"The changes in brightness could be signs of activity associated with intelligent extraterrestrial life building a Dyson swarm.[9][15][16][17] The SETI Institute's initial radio reconnaissance of KIC 8462852, however, found no evidence of technology-related radio signals from the star. "
..most likely nothing but i really hope there is something smarter out there that will help us out.... long time ago when used to astral project i found myself inside a planet somewhere out there in astral body and chased out by the energy of some wormlike creatures probably in water since not on the surface... or just insanity... but no one cares if there are worms in space

Edited by jasonte

Charles II of Spain, the last of the Hapsburgs to rule the country, was severely physically and mentally disabled due to years of Hapsburg inbreeding. He couldn't speak until 4 years old nor walk until 8 but somehow managed to live until 38. Here's his family tree:

Carlos_segundo80.png

10 Biohackers Who Turned Into Superhumans  -- this one blew my mind

Genome Editing with CRISPR-Cas9 -- they did a pretty good job with the 3d animation and simple explanation of this tech, should be getting Nobel Prize soon

Is Unregulated Biohacking the Future of Science? The $140 Mail-Order CRISPR Kit  -- rebel biohacker who worked at nasa for 2 years and was kinda disappointed with lamo government programs

What is CRISPR? -- a little more technical explanation by a man

Edited by jasonte

Hey all, I'm really sorry, I've been fact-checking and that video: "10 Biohackers Who Turned Into Superhumans", is propaganda with exaggerations and/or lies in it.
I also got convinced that Sandy Hook from 2012 was a hoax because of a video where the victims' siblings were singing at the Super-Bowl choir.They weren't on the Sandy Hook victim list, but were show in the hoax propaganda video along with different children who were best matched to look like 6 of the actual victims. I feel pretty stupid that it took me so long to realize. Makes me feel disgusting. I wish people wouldn't make up fake stories.

@SpiralingMind:-- CRISPR/Cas9 works on bacteria and above, but it doesn't allow you to alter the (RNA or DNA) of viruses because it kinda hijacks the process taking place when a virus tries to inject (RNA or DNA) into a cell. The cell has a defense mechanism where it tries to re-code and neutralize the gene expression? Instead of a virus, it uses what I'm pasting below to have it be activated instead of neutralized, essentially adding the gene to the cell. :
CRISPR “spacer” sequences are transcribed into short RNA sequences (“CRISPR RNAs” or “crRNA”) capable of guiding the system to matching sequences of DNA. When the target DNA is found, Cas9 – one of the enzymes produced by the CRISPR system – binds to the DNA and cuts it, shutting the targeted gene off. Using modified versions of Cas9, researchers can activate gene expression instead of cutting the DNA. These techniques allow researchers to study the gene’s function.
I think a different group of people are able to code a virus somehow though, and are working on improving it and figuring how to let others use it with an upcoming open-source multip-platform. it's just that programming viruses could potentially be very dangerous so it will be interesting to see what happens since there aren't any laws/regulations really yet in that area. They do have these type of treatments being tested against cancer and have been effective, able to infuse virus's that only attack and destroy cancer cells. The plan is to be able to cure cancers on a much larger scale. Cancer is not caused by a virus, so that works. But I'm not sure how they even alter the (RNA or DNA) of a virus right now or if it is possible without a specialized environment.... Going to have to look and see if there are different sized viruses and if they would be able to change each others' codes. Interesting question, can't wait till all these projects start to be combined into one common web-browser, cloud-based, open-source platform called Project Cyborg after beta is finished and released. To use the software they have together and achieve 4D printing: https://www.autodeskresearch.com/projects

Lol , wow , I just started, and can barely type about this without stating falsities. Going to have to study all these textbooks I torrented and wait a long time before I can properly describe something without giving incorrect words.

Edited by jasonte

• 2 months later...

Ever wonder why popes always give their blessing with two fingers upraised? Because an early pope had a nerve injury and couldn't straighten the last two fingers on his hand. The next pope just copied him, and so on. Doctors actually call this type of nerve injury "Pope's Hand" or "Hand of Benediction".

Edited by thursdayschild

• 4 weeks later...

This will make all the GM fans made at me, but the original reason Nascar put restrictor plates on the cars was not because of driver safety it was because GM could not keep up with Ford and Chrysler. So in order to even them all out they slowed the other two companies. They do it now for driver safety.

The New York City Subway has 660 miles of tracks in revenue service.  In 2015, there were 1,762,565,419 passengers.  

The 42nd Street Times Square/Port Authority Bus Terminal is the busiest station complex which served 66,359,208 passengers in 2015.  1, 2, 3, 7 local, 7 express, A, C, E, N, Q, R, and 42nd Street Shuttle trains stop there.

The longest subway train in the system (602 ft) can fit roughly 2,000 passengers.

The town I grew up in has a population of 2,400 people.

Johhny Appleseed (John Chapman) was born in Massachussetts in 1774.  He planted apple trees throughout Pennsylvania, Ohio and Indiana.  He is buried in Indiana,  where he died in 1845.  The apples he planted were not really eating apples, and were often used in cider.

1 hour ago, nightrose said:

Johhny Appleseed (John Chapman) was born in Massachussetts in 1774.  He planted apple trees throughout Pennsylvania, Ohio and Indiana.  He is buried in Indiana,  where he died in 1845.  The apples he planted were not really eating apples, and were often used in cider.

The city of Fort Wayne hold a festival called the johnny apple seed festival at Johnny apple seed park.

If you plant the seed from an apple you just eat no matter what kind of apple it is you WILL NOT get that apple tree. Apples have cross genetically modified so many times that it will not produce the same apples. That and it is a very common practice to graft one apple tree onto the roots of an other, some tree are more resistant to environmental effects then others but produce an undesirable food where, some produce a better fruit  UT the tree is weaker to environmental effects.

Edited by zdude954

1 minute ago, nightrose said:

Flower fact:  The name "chrysantheum"  comes from the Greek chrysos(gold) and anthos (flower).   

This is correct. I've known this forever because it's the flower of my birthday month, November.  They come in a variety of colours.

• 1 month later...