Conversations With Businesses Recorded Are Never For Your Benefit

NC86

I'm sure there is no one on here that hasn't contacted a buisness where you are told that "your call is being recorded for quality assurance".  These recordings are NEVER there for your benefit, only their benefit, to be used against you in any dispute.  If you get into a dispute with the organization recording your call, say a sales rep has lied to you, you think that since there is a log of every call and every call is recorded, you could simply tell the manager to locate the sales rep and what was exactly said to support your position in a dispute, I find that they claim that they "cannot access those recordings" or try to claim that they don't know who you spoke with last.  That just pi**es me off so much cause they are totally full of it.  But if they needed to have evidence to prove their side, then magically they could access those recordings or know who you spoke to.

I remember at my last family doctor, it was some teaching clinic so they recorded on video every appointment you had.  This was in addition to the doctor who already had a computer in front of him logging notes every appointment.  Of course I had a dispute with them(resident doctor f'ed up how many times), do you think I had access to those videos?  Of course not.  It is going to be hard for me to pin down any specific dates or exact figures without a computer in front of me typing and logging everything that was said during an appointment when I go to file a complaint with the College of Physicians.  Of course the recordings were never there for my benefit.  Recordings of interactions between a business and customer or a doctor and patient are NEVER there for your benefit.  I cannot stand slimey practices like this, especially when they are sold or marketed as if they are there for your benefit when they sure as hell are not.

Look up the local laws regarding recording conversations yourself.

I did and it's legal for me to record a conversation and other party doesn't have to know that I'm doing so. The key though is that I have to be involved in the conversation.

I remember once calling my cell carrier and telling the rep the conversation was bring and they said sorry we can't talk and hung up. Funny how that works.

Needles to say, I called back and didn't tell the next rep. I told them only after the fact and that it was legal to do so.

Corporations are such a******s.

reddit in Canada

https://www.reddit.com/r/canada/comments/1fodcx/is_it_legalillegal_to_tape_record_a_conversation/

IN Canada

The Criminal Code, R.S.C. 1985, c. C-46 [Criminal Code] imposes a general prohibition on interception (recording) of private communications, but then provides an exception where one of the parties to the private communication consents to the interception of that communication. Thus, broadly speaking, Canadians can legally record their own conversations with other people, but not other peoples' conversations that they are not involved in.

Edited by WhyAreWeHere

reddit in Canada

https://www.reddit.com/r/canada/comments/1fodcx/is_it_legalillegal_to_tape_record_a_conversation/

IN Canada

The Criminal Code, R.S.C. 1985, c. C-46 [Criminal Code] imposes a general prohibition on interception (recording) of private communications, but then provides an exception where one of the parties to the private communication consents to the interception of that communication. Thus, broadly speaking, Canadians can legally record their own conversations with other people, but not other peoples' conversations that they are not involved in.

Thanks good to know.  

When I first injured my knee and back I was sent to rehab and there was always someone sitting by the door where you logged in who would say in an upbeat chirpy voice "Hi how are you today"  To avoid a conversation about how you really felt most people mumbled fine as they went to sit and wait for their tur.

When my workers comp claim was being settled they brought out paperwork with day and time and my response to their question regarding how I was that day.  Patient stated she was fine.  Patient stated she was doing ok. They used my polite response AGAINST ME!

When I first injured my knee and back I was sent to rehab and there was always someone sitting by the door where you logged in who would say in an upbeat chirpy voice "Hi how are you today"  To avoid a conversation about how you really felt most people mumbled fine as they went to sit and wait for their tur.

When my workers comp claim was being settled they brought out paperwork with day and time and my response to their question regarding how I was that day.  Patient stated she was fine.  Patient stated she was doing ok. They used my polite response AGAINST ME!

Wow that is a brand new low of scum-baggery!

That's just disgusting and conniving. Was there anything you could do about that? That's just immoral.

Look up the local laws regarding recording conversations yourself.

I did and it's legal for me to record a conversation and other party doesn't have to know that I'm doing so. The key though is that I have to be involved in the conversation.

I remember once calling my cell carrier and telling the rep the conversation was bring and they said sorry we can't talk and hung up. Funny how that works.

Needles to say, I called back and didn't tell the next rep. I told them only after the fact and that it was legal to do so.

Corporations are such a******s.

In many states, like Florida, it is illegal to record a phone conversation without informing the other caller, so if you plan to record phone calls or meeting I would let the other party know, or if it's a meeting of something important, put it into writing (like a meeting with a condo board association), so that you have proof that you have let them know you were recording.  Otherwise, it can't be brought up in a dispute, or in court, should it ever come to that.  I know because I have had extreme difficulties with a condo board, and when I talked to a lawyer he said none of what I'd recorded could be used since I hadn't informed the other parties.